News   Aug 12, 2024
 761     2 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.8K     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 618     0 

China bans black/mongolian people...er, what?

It's really sad how people just fit themselves into the hierarchy and don't try to question it.

Unfortunately, it's an attitude that's as old as the hills.

My sister is in Korea right now and she can’t believe how racist they are towards blacks. A friend of hers (who is black) visited my sister in Seoul and during her visit she was name called, refused entry into bars and questioned by security guards at several Seoul shopping areas. In fact my sister’s employer (company that hires foreigners to come teach English) proudly admits that they will only hire Caucasians.

If you want to teach English in Korea they must have a photo of you with your application.

My friend was telling me anyone who isn't white can have a tough time.

I wonder if the IOC actually envisioned China banning black people when they tried to make an issue out of Lastman's African boiling pot remark.

why is the google advert in this thread for travel alberta?

edit:

as soon as i asked why, it disappeared.

I have always understood China, Korea and Japan to be quite racist, not only towards blacks (which is extremely open in their societies) but to whites as well. Many Japanese bars do not admit whites, some even have a sign posted that says "no whites". I was denied entry into a bar in Osaka on this basis.

My nephew who works in Korea told me about the racism towards blacks there; it is rampant.

They are also fairly sexist, and he said the way women are treated in Korea was unbelievable.

This is not to bad-mouth them, just to observe. I was actually thrilled to be excluded from a bar, it was one of the experiences I was hoping to have in Japan, and it occurred almost by accident (I thought I was going into an internet cafe).

:confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlie

DarkieToothpaste.jpg

Many Japanese bars do not admit whites, some even have a sign posted that says "no whites".

I've never seen specifically "no whites", but I do think that Japanese has some general xenophobia, so "Japanese only" is more common in places. However, I've had friends visit there recently and they never really experienced anything bad with regards to racism, but there are some bars or onsen places where they are very strict about "Japanese only". As well as certain other...establishments but let's not go there. A culture evolving on an isolated island does that to you, I guess.

Also, Koreans hate Americans. Specifically, soldiers. God you wouldn't believe the kind of stuff on Korean websites. Generally, based on what I've read on blogs and journals, Japan seems to be more normal than the others, especially China.

I really have a hard time reading my own thread title. I hope this is all a big elaborate joke.

A good piece of news

On a more positive note, Dog is off the menu in Beijing restaurants and hotels leading up to, and during the Olympics

Dogs look out of their cages from a truck on a motorway
on the outskirts of China's capital Beijing April 8, 2006.

bdog.jpg

Beijing takes dog off the menu for Olympics

Fri Jul 11, 12:40 AM ET

(Reinhard Krause/Reuters)

BEIJING (Reuters) - Beijing has asked hotels and restaurants in the city to take dog meat off the menu for the duration of next month's Olympics and September's Paralympics.

Dog is eaten not only by the large Korean community in China's capital but is also popular in Yunnan and Guizhou restaurants.

A directive from the Beijing Food Safety Office issued last month ordered Olympic contractor hotels not to provide any dishes made with dog meat and said any canine material used in traditional medicated diets must be clearly labeled.

Concerned that canine dishes might offend animal rights groups and Western visitors, Beijing said restaurants expected to be popular among foreign visitors must stop serving dog meat "to respect the dining customs of different countries."

The directive "advocated" that all restaurants serving dog suspend it during the Olympics but made no mention of the many popular establishments with donkey on the menu.

Criticism from Westerners caused the dog meat-loving South Koreans to ban canine dishes for a period of time during the 1988 Seoul Olympics.

(Reporting by Liu Zhen; Editing by Nick Mulvenney and Jeremy Laurence)

(For more stories visit our multimedia website "Road to Beijing" at http://www.reuters.com/news/sports/2008olympics; and see our blog at http://blogs.reuters.com/china)

^
I wonder what the western reaction would be if a country like India pressured us to stop eating cows/meat in general. I'm guessing they'd be met with a great degree of indignation.

How progressive of them.......wait a minute...

Maybe there are other things the west should be pressuring them about of greater importance.

I have always understood China, Korea and Japan to be quite racist, not only towards blacks (which is extremely open in their societies) but to whites as well. Many Japanese bars do not admit whites, some even have a sign posted that says "no whites". I was denied entry into a bar in Osaka on this basis.

My nephew who works in Korea told me about the racism towards blacks there; it is rampant.

They are also fairly sexist, and he said the way women are treated in Korea was unbelievable.

This is not to bad-mouth them, just to observe. I was actually thrilled to be excluded from a bar, it was one of the experiences I was hoping to have in Japan, and it occurred almost by accident (I thought I was going into an internet cafe).

You're right. My friend got quite a bit of that (no whites at certain gyms, etc.).

I don't really get the western fixation on the dog meat issue. While I have no interest in eating dog meat what is the big issue? What is more absurd, eating dog meat or say the depth of emotional attachement many North Americans have with their pet dogs? On the one hand you have a practice of eating an animal to gain sustenance, on the other you have the practice of breeding genetic mutant animals to live a life of forced servitude as emotional crutches. I'm not being critical of either practice just wondering why the one is normal and the other is evil?

We Westerners (most of us, anyway) have no problem eating pigs and cows, which are just as intelligent, if not more, than dogs. They have personalities, emotions, etc. It's hypocrisy.

^
I wonder what the western reaction would be if a country like India pressured us to stop eating cows/meat in general. I'm guessing they'd be met with a great degree of indignation.
Neither the IOC or the west are pressuring the Chinese to stop serving dog meat. It is the Chinese government themselves who is pressuring their own people. They're afraid the western world, where dogs are revered as children, will see the Chinese as dog eating savages.

We Westerners (most of us, anyway) have no problem eating pigs and cows, which are just as intelligent, if not more, than dogs. They have personalities, emotions, etc. It's hypocrisy.

i have reduced the species of animals i eat down to two. i think it's wrong to eat animals, period. like i've said before, hopefully with tissue engineering, we'll soon have the choice to eat meat that is grown from stem cells.

Back