News   Jul 30, 2024
 865     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 500     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 612     1 

CBC's Seven Wonders of Canada

I can't believe Montreal bagels, a canoe, and the Stanley Cup are on the short list. Obviously most of these people haven't stared at something in wonder. Can you imagine having a guest from out of country come to visit and taking them to see the local "wonder of Canada" and point out on a lake "behold, one of the wonders of Canada... a canoe"? They would think you had gone off the deep end.

Well, you can get worse than Montreal bagels
beavertails.jpg

^ Hey, hey, easy there, bull moose - some things are more 'wonder'-ful than others. Never thought I'd live to see the day when a hoser dissed the Holy Beaver Tail. Perhaps you have to be from Ottawa to understand.

Y'know, I love this country passionately - but in some ways we really are completely ridiculous as a group.

Wow, the list is horrible!

A tree? Snake dens? Montreal Bagel? as one of the wonders of Canada? This is a joke right??? Are these all we can come up with about Canada?

Where's Peggy's Cove? Edmonton West Mall? Ottawa Parliement building? Heck, I think Anne of Green Gable, Nathan Philips Sq, Chinatown, Montreal Underground and Celine Dion are more deserving than half of the stuff listed...

Naw, I like Beavertails, too. It's just that it's more inherently "touristy" than the Montreal bagel. That's why it's "worse".

Does EPCOT still have a Canadian section? Do *they* have Beavertails? They oughta...

Naw, I like Beavertails, too. It's just that it's more inherently "touristy" than the Montreal bagel.

And smoked salmon doesn't go well on a Beavertail, either.

How about Celine Dion slathered in cream cheese and layered over with lox?

Well, Rene Angelil is such a filthy old man, he'd probably have *any* fetish...

Oh man, this whole thing is so lame. I love living in this country but our achilles heel is that we can sometimes be such a bunch of lame-o-s.

Yeah, this is pretty lame... but are we more lame than others? The Brits, Yanks and Aussies can be pretty lame too.

Ganja:

Yes, we are lamer with greater frequency than the Americans or the Brits (don't know enough about Oz).

The Beachcombers are lame, Heritage Minutes are lame, French textbooks from Grade 6 are lame, Molson "I am Canadian" ads are lame, Annana Pineapple is lame, Weird Al Yankovic is lame, Ready or Not is lame, Royal Canadian Air Farce is lame, those "Canadian Girls Drinking Team" T-shirts are lame, Nickelback is lame, this show we're talking about here and all its entries are lame.

American patriotism and jingoism is frightening, the British class system is disheartening, German history is horrifying, much of the development of current China is sobering, even the xenophobia of picture-perfect Switzerland is a shocker. Being lame isn't the worst, but I will call a spade a spade when I see one and our problem - smaller than those bogeymen of other countries - is that much of our cultural output is extremely lame.

The sad part is that for every lame Canadian Content artist, I know, read, and see a dozen truly great Canadian cultural contributors that either don't get more notice or have to emigrate to another country where - surprise, surprise - they make it big.

Back