News   Jul 30, 2024
 356     2 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 536     0 

CBC's Seven Wonders of Canada

Per capita, we're lamer than the states, even though I could name many more examples of American lameness. The Brits have nothing on us.

And for every one good artist that breaks out big thanks to the Can-Con rules, there's probably 5 Nickelbacks.

That list of favourite American architectual landmarks was pretty lame too, apart from the most obvious decent examples, kind of like the CBC's list.

The list is dissapointing, but in the vein that I imagined it would be. The media continues to be bent on pushing the same old quaint, outdoors-ey image of Canada down people's throats, and ignoring that Canada is fundamentally urban. How 'bout those caribou, eh? Honestly though, Tim's should be on that list.

And for every one good artist that breaks out big thanks to the Can-Con rules, there's probably 5 Nickelbacks.
Hey now, don't blame Cancon for Nickelback. They are one of the biggest bands in the world after all. And as I recall, they were pretty much ignored in Canada until they got big south of the border.

But yeah, this whole 7 wonders thing is super lame. They should have stuck to the original spirit of the ancient 7 wonders - human-built structures that inspried awe in those who saw them. CBC is making a mockery of the whole 7 wonders concept, and fuelling the image of Canada being full of rural simpletons.

Well, why not--if the list were strictly equivalent, that is.

If you remember that American architectural wonders thingy, remember that they were working from an architect-picked master list; this one's strictly voter-offerings, if I'm not mistaken...

Since everything has become a "wonder" these days, any actual wonders have become banal. It's because of shows like this where every thing is equated as being as important as some other thing that swill like Tim's is called a wonder.

And no insult towards those who thinks Tim's is a wonder - particularly if used to wake you up in the morning.

But the CBC has been full of these lame contests lately. Perhaps the "Greatest Canadian" was okay, but the others like this?

Even Front Page Challenge and Wayne Rostad were less lame. The CBC is going downhill. I guess contests like this are cheap and easy content to produce with some buzz.

Am I the only one who actually liked FPC in an ironic sort of way? Not as good as the CBC's psychic game show, Beyond Reason, but still.

Didn't see FPC more than a few times. What was the name of that panel show that Austin Willis helmed for Mothercorp?

Even Front Page Challenge and Wayne Rostad were less lame. The CBC is going downhill. I guess contests like this are cheap and easy content to produce with some buzz.
People continually gripe that CBC Television is too high brow or too serious, yet when they put on one or two fluffy Canadiana contest shows, many of the same people go ape shit and claim the network has gone too light and are thinking about quantity (audience) over quality.

It's a big network with a big schedule. Seven Wonders is not my kind of show by any means, but it certainly has a small place on the dial and easily fallls within the pubcaster's mandate.

This stuff leaves one wondering about the CBC in an ever-increasing television universe.

Back