News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.8K     3 

CATHEDRAL SQUARE - a second look

I think one of the challenges to the idea is the "invisibility" of this huge canvas... no-one really knows it's there yet it's nestled beside the corner of Queen and Church... as RC8 pointed out, this is minutes away from the financial district, Eaton Centre, Dundas Square even the market. And as the future snapshot above hints at (and it's way out of date now) there is a large influx of residents coming, it's close to many hotels ("you must go to Cathedral Square for dinner") and would have a large "built-in" community - two huge condos stacked on the north end to pay for it (plus Jazz and the Metropolitan if built).

Foot traffic is low now, but will it be low in 10 years, particularly if this was built? I believe it not only would become a "destination" in itself, but it would become that destination very, very quickly. Obviously the square would have to be well-programmed to help generate traffic and the quality of retail, restaurants etc. would be key... but I genuinely believe that east-of Yonge residents and tourist alike would adopt this place in a blink.

As for being too "monumental"... perhaps but I can't help hoping that a city as diverse as Toronto is ready to embrace a meeting place inspired those that work so well around the globe.

I should point out that the square is a bit more intimate (east to west) than the render suggests... obviously I used a wide angle POV to allow as much detail to be included as possible.

Dreaming out loud.

Excellent work CN, but this has nothing to do with the Cathedral Square concept... it just shares the same site.

- remember the land in is private hands (with a hefty price tag) and the dense community (primarily on the north end) pays for the public footprint (the piazza) - the sunshine is guaranteed (south end is open to Queen Street, lowrise massing to the east)
- the square is full of retail, restaurants etc. which is the whole point of the piazza concept, something that doesn't exist in Toronto
- the whole point of creating a new community here is ensure square animation and help drive east of Yonge change
Views:
a) though the St. Mike's view is compromised pedestrians will obvious see the cathedral on the way in and the steeple is visible from the south.
b) a pedestrian connection/archway would hopefully be established mid-block from Church to the square, framing Met United church
c) the spire of St. James is visible from the square

Let's just say there's enough 'religion' in the neighbourhood to make sense of the square's name.

I do like what you've done but not for this site... harbourfront would have hosted something like this nicely.

Don't get me wrong... that's terrific work... you definitely have fantastic insights on what to do with a blank canvas.

It's just not anything to do with Cathedral Square.

If I were you I'd start a new thread that identifies the same "plot 'o land" and see what folks think.

I also think you should look at other blank canvasses around town and send this batch of renders along to landscape architects "FYI"... there's definitely some gold to be mined in what you did. Not that anyone listens to we amateurs......

Don't be discouraged or insulted in any way ;-) And thanks.

Because this is private land slated for development (most likely condos), this will never happen at this particular spot.

The city should concentrate on getting all the public parks and land around the waterfront right....and to maintain it properly.

It's precisely because it is in private hands that this would work... the high density mixed-use (condo/commercial/retail) plus parking revenues on site guarantee the "blank canvas" piazza element can happen via the developer deal. It's not a "city park" (or reliant of city money) it's an animated urban meeting place that the city deserves and would welcome with ope arms. Perhaps you didn't look very closely.

I really don't think that one would work in that location, especially in the form in which you envisioned it.

This is only my humble (student) opinion, but the reality is that that parking lot abuts no large public/cultural/entertainment institutions, so it is not a destination in itself. Furthermore, there is no large thoroughfare going through that lot (except for Queen, which borders only one of the shorter sides) so this space is not a place which receives a high volume of traffic.

Since this place is neither a destination in itself, nor does it get a great deal of traffic, the only way to get that sort of activity would be to dedicate a large portion of the parking lot to employment and hope that restaurants and boutiques would follow. Chances are we'll see some nondescript condo building go up on that lot sometime in the future. I'd say forget about this one and focus on a more centrally located plaza.

I have to disagree with your opinion. The square, as proposed here, would be the destination. The surrounding residential development, and shops and services at ground level, would make it a natural destination. It would certainly become a focal point for that stretch of Queen East, and attract considerable foot-traffic and visits via transit. I think something like this would be perfect for the area.

It's precisely because it is in private hands that this would work... the high density mixed-use (condo/commercial/retail) plus parking revenues on site guarantee the "blank canvas" piazza element can happen via the developer deal. It's not a "city park" (or reliant of city money) it's an animated urban meeting place that the city deserves and would welcome with ope arms. Perhaps you didn't look very closely.

A builder is not going to want to build or maintain a public plaza like this, on this scale (and the city cannot force them to build one like this). Further, the developer(s) will want to build on every square inch of that property and will sacrifice height to do it (its cheaper to build out than up).

Back