News   Aug 02, 2024
 194     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 963     1 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 787     1 

Candidates and their subway plans... The Star tells you which one is more credible

Which Subway/Transit plan do you support

• Sarah Thomson

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Rocco Rossi

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Joe Pantalone

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • George Smitherman

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Rob Ford

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters
Rossi is the only candidate that has a track record of leaving reputable institutions in better financial positions when he left (Molson, Heart and Stroke foundation, and recently, tripling the federal liberal's coffers).

Those Rossi claims have long been shown to be hogwash. Consider this analysis of his time with the Liberals that shows that "by their own estimation, they have missed their fundraising target by over $15 million."

Under the Rossi the Liberals raised $9.6 million in 2009, less than half what the Conservatives raised. This was an increase over the $6.0 million they raised in 2006. However, this didn't have anything to do with Rossi. Here is a week by week chart of party donations in 2009. See the big spike that accounts for all of the difference? That was the Liberal convention, delegate fees count as donations. If you take out those figures, Rossi actually raised less money in 2009 than Dion did in 2008.

That's the one! Are there other Don Mills LRTs under discussion? I thought you were up to speed on this! The money involved could be be used to build the Don Mills LRT from Steeles to Eglinton, with enough left over to complete the Sheppard East LRT and to build a link to the Aquatic centre. Or it could be used to build the Finch LRT now ... which Metrolinx estimated would cost $900-million from Keele to Humber.

Any of these would be a better use of $1-billion.

Or we could use that $1-billion to start the DRL. The DRL from Danforth to Eglinton would cost about $1.5 billion. From Danforth to Yonge would be about $2 billion.

We could build the first leg of the DRL (from Yonge to Danforth) with what Smitherman has proposed be spent on the Sherway extension and the Sheppard-Downsview extension.

I think the DRL would be MUCH more expensive than either Sherway or Sheppard West. On a per km basis.

Can i also say that to a certain extent, this poll really cements what every political guru has been telling me regarding elections. Most voters are not that analytical enough to look at real numbers, they prefer rhetoric.

Rossi is the only candidate that has a track record of leaving reputable institutions in better financial positions when he left (Molson, Heart and Stroke foundation, and recently, tripling the federal liberal's coffers).
Sarah thompson - credibility, within one organization (her own)
Ford - again, same, credibiility within one organization (family)
Smitherman - well... that's up for discussion
Pantalone - do we need to look at our city finances?

I have no doubt that Rossi is an intelligent and capable manager. My biggest problem is his pandering during the campaign so far. He's on an inexplicable crusade to become The Anti-Miller at any cost.

I have no doubt that Rossi is an intelligent and capable manager. My biggest problem is his pandering during the campaign so far. He's on an inexplicable crusade to become The Anti-Miller at any cost.

Miller started off with a lot of promise. But by the end he was a big disappointment. I don't think he was a bad mayor. I think he just suffered from overly high expectations (like Paul Martin).

I think the DRL would be MUCH more expensive than either Sherway or Sheppard West. On a per km basis.
I'd think so too, which is why I priced it that way.

Smitherman priced the 3.8 km Sherway extension at $1 billion for a cost of $263 million/km and the 4.5 km Sheppard West extension at $1.3 billion for a cost of $290 million/km.

I priced a 6.0 km DRL Phase 1 from Danforth to Yonge at $2 billion for a cost of $333 million/km and a 5.0 km DRL Phase 3 from Eglinton to Danforth at $1.5 billion for a cost of $300 million/km.

Assuming that they are all in approximately 2010 dollars.

Miller started off with a lot of promise. But by the end he was a big disappointment. I don't think he was a bad mayor. I think he just suffered from overly high expectations (like Paul Martin).

That's precisely why we ought to vote someone in for whom expectations are already low and have them surprise us with their uncanny ability to get real rapid transit built in this city at industry standard costing that's not being hyperinflated by the special interests and lobbyist cabals that City Hall has to be pandering to right now.

That's precisely why we ought to vote someone in for whom expectations are already low
Or we could simply vote based on their platforms. Miller did deliver a surprising amount of his 2006 platform. I'd have never have thought that we would have been starting the Eglinton RT before he left office!

The downtown section, for sure, but it is only 1.5 km or so. East of Church, it should not be particularly expensive.

It would be nice if we got some commitment from the candidates to put the DRL on the front burner.

Smitherman priced the 3.8 km Sherway extension at $1 billion for a cost of $263 million/km and the 4.5 km Sheppard West extension at $1.3 billion for a cost of $290 million/km.

There are tail tracks west of Sheppard/Yonge station, and the remaining distance to Donsview is only 3 or 3.5 km.

Plus, a connection to Wilson Yard would have to be added, likely west of Downsview.

There are tail tracks west of Sheppard/Yonge station, and the remaining distance to Donsview is only 3 or 3.5 km.

Plus, a connection to Wilson Yard would have to be added, likely west of Downsview.

No matter what the distance is, there's going to have to be new tail tracks anyway no?

It would be nice if we got some commitment from the candidates to put the DRL on the front burner.

I read a suggestion here, that Smitherman skipped DRL in his plan not because it's unimportant in his view, but because he hopes to get it in a package with Yonge North subway.

Whether this is actually a good strategy ... debatable.

I read a suggestion here, that Smitherman skipped DRL in his plan not because it's unimportant in his view, but because he hopes to get it in a package with Yonge North subway.

Whether this is actually a good strategy ... debatable.

I read the same thing. But that's just speculation. If something is important, it should be on the front burner, and not ignored. Why would you ignore what should be a Number 1 priority? I like the Sherway extension as much as anyone, but surely we can't prioritize it over the DRL. Nor should we prioritize any of Transit City in front of the DRL. It's the same thing. As far as I know, Thomson is the only one who has the DRL on their plan. But if any other candidate does, please show me.

^ You are right. I did not see a clear commitment to DRL in any other candidate's plan (if they even bothered to propose a transit plan).

Back