News   Jul 22, 2024
 479     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 446     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 482     0 

Canadian Soccer Association to bid for 2026 World Cup

To be fair so long as the stadiums are in different municipalities there shouldn't be a problem. S. Korea basically had 3 stadiums in Seoul and 2 in Busan, for example.

I think that an Eastern Canada WC would be totally feasible - it's when you try and include the Western provinces that the logistics become hellish.

The Golden Horseshoe could accomodate 3-5 stadiums (Toronto, Mississauga, Niagara, Hamilton, Kitchener), London could have one, Windsor could have one, Ottawa could have one, Montreal could have 2-3, Quebec City could have one, Halifax could have one, St. John could have one.

Just build the stadiums so that they can be turned into 25,000 people arenas afterwards and it would actually be a very nice tournament.

To be fair so long as the stadiums are in different municipalities there shouldn't be a problem. S. Korea basically had 3 stadiums in Seoul and 2 in Busan, for example.

I think that an Eastern Canada WC would be totally feasible - it's when you try and include the Western provinces that the logistics become hellish.

The Golden Horseshoe could accomodate 3-5 stadiums (Toronto, Mississauga, Niagara, Hamilton, Kitchener), London could have one, Windsor could have one, Ottawa could have one, Montreal could have 2-3, Quebec City could have one, Halifax could have one, St. John could have one.

Just build the stadiums so that they can be turned into 25,000 people arenas afterwards and it would actually be a very nice tournament.

Even at that (and I am not sure any of that is feesible for other infrastructure reasons - which FIFA look at) but what would Mississauga, Kitchener, Windsor, London and Niagara do with their 25k stadiums after the world cup? Certainly the taxpayer that would be asked to build these stadiums would want to know the answer to those questions.

They could use them for sporting events like every other country in the world. If Kitchener was anywhere in Europe or South America I can guarantee you it would have at least one stadium capable of holding a respectable number of people 15,000-25,000.

Toronto if it were located outside of N. America would have at least 4 30,000+ stadiums and they would all be well-attended.

North Americans are not used to local teams, they have been brainwashed by large corporations into thinking that a team is only worth supporting if it's a giant entity playing in a controlled monopoly. It doesn't have to be that way, and municipally owned stadia would be a step in the right direction - possibilities are endless.

They could use them for sporting events like every other country in the world. If Kitchener was anywhere in Europe or South America I can guarantee you it would have at least one stadium capable of holding a respectable number of people 15,000-25,000.

Toronto if it were located outside of N. America would have at least 4 30,000+ stadiums and they would all be well-attended.

But we are not in every other country we are in ours and if you go to the taxpayer for a, what, $3 - 5 Billion cheque to build stadiums we need a better story than (for example) "Glasgow is about the size of Mississauga and has 3 stadiums over 50k".

North Americans are not used to local teams, they have been brainwashed by large corporations into thinking that a team is only worth supporting if it's a giant entity playing in a controlled monopoly. It doesn't have to be that way, and municipally owned stadia would be a step in the right direction - possibilities are endless.

It is, however, a reality.....and a reality that I don't see changing. There is no economic model currently existing (or on the mid term horizon) that says any of those cities we were discussing have a viable use for a 25k stadium.

Yes, I can't see it happening either, but if there was a will it could be done and I think that people would welcome it. This would not only bring the WC to Canada, it would bring Canada to a WC after all!

( The Argos are no diamond in the rough, they are a small town team playing in a big city. We nee the best, aka: NFL ).

Enough with this NFL bullsh*t. Is it that hard to support a non-US league? You keep on talking about London, Paris and Tokyo yet they have no NFL. And last i checked Japan never hosted the world cup. Neither have several other developed nations.

No significant architectural designs ( no imagination ) with our new buildings ...
Pull the other one ... it play's the FIFA anthem.

The way you win the World Cup is to bribe the officials. This is how Russia did it. This is how Qatar did it. FIFA is very corrupt.

The only way to win is to break Canadian law. Do you advocate this?

Only 10 stadiums are needed to host the WC.

Canada could propose the following:

West
BC PLace - Vancouver
Commonwealth Stadium - Edmonton
Replacement with temporary seating -Calgary
Regina Stadium - Regina (temporary expansion required)
Investors Group Field - Winnipeg (temporary expansion required)

East
Frank Clair Stadium - Ottawa (temporary expansion required)
New Toronto Stadium - Toronto (downsized post games for Argos or kept for an NFL team)
Rogers Centre - Toronto
Olympic Stadium - Montreal

Hamilton's stadium is a hole idk if they would use it. Maybe a final stadium in Quebec/Halifax to get a CFL team

Only 10 stadiums are needed to host the WC.

Canada could propose the following:

West
BC PLace - Vancouver
Commonwealth Stadium - Edmonton
Replacement with temporary seating -Calgary
Regina Stadium - Regina (temporary expansion required)
Investors Group Field - Winnipeg (temporary expansion required)

East
Frank Clair Stadium - Ottawa (temporary expansion required)
New Toronto Stadium - Toronto (downsized post games for Argos or kept for an NFL team)
Rogers Centre - Toronto
Olympic Stadium - Montreal
Not sure how you'd get grass into all those. You can't even open Olympic Stadium these days ... not sure about BC Place.

It's a complete fantasy, not to mention the World Cup crosses over into the CFL season. You can get away with two CFL teams playing road games for an extended period, but not seven.

Even if one believes FIFA is not corrupt, this is putting the cart before the horse. Canada is nowhere close to qualifying for a World Cup again, and just lost to Martinique, a non-FIFA country. And unlike basketball, there is no crop of young Canadian soccer players with the potential to be stars.

Get to the World Cup a couple of times first before thinking about trying to host it.

It's a complete fantasy, not to mention the World Cup crosses over into the CFL season. You can get away with two CFL teams playing road games for an extended period, but not seven.
7?

2014 World cup is over July 13th. That would only impact 3 weeks of CFL. And only 1 stadium is necessary the final weekend for World Cup. And only 4 (or heck 2 really) the previous weekend. Worst case scenario ... delay CFL 1 week.

There's lots of reasons Canada will never see the World Cup in the next 2-3 decades. CFL isn't one of them.[/QUOTE]

The Argos are no diamond in the rough, they are a small town team playing in a big city. We nee the best, aka: NFL .

I rest my case. The Argonauts are the oldest professional football team in north America playing in a league with talent many notches above an Ohio State or Notre Dame and people like yourself are too blind to see it. How typical: turn your back on your own culture because domestic fare couldn't possibly be worth investing time, money, and effort in. You're not a person that loves football, you're a person that's attracted to status symbols and associating oneself with a brand. How Torontonian.

Btw, a society that constantly tries to mimic others rather than nurturing its own culture will never be a place of consequence.

I wonder if people in Los Angeles boycott the UCLA Bruins and USC Trojans because it's not the NFL? Oh I forgot, they're not ashamed of their own culture; they revel in it. They don't need to attach themselves to a brand to prove to themselves that they're a world class city; they know it intrinsically. They massively support those teams because they're theirs.

The Argonauts were one of the sport's formative teams and you shit all over it? I'd argue that the Argonauts are too good for Toronto, not the other way around. Toronto doesn't deserve a team with pedigree like that. They deserve the York Lions.

Last edited:
7?

2014 World cup is over July 13th. That would only impact 3 weeks of CFL. And only 1 stadium is necessary the final weekend for World Cup. And only 4 (or heck 2 really) the previous weekend. Worst case scenario ... delay CFL 1 week.

There's lots of reasons Canada will never see the World Cup in the next 2-3 decades. CFL isn't one of them.
The CFL has been locked into an end of November Grey Cup since forever, and with an additional team being added next year the CFL schedule will start at least a week earlier from now on.

The CFL wouldn't prevent Canada from the getting the World Cup but there is no way seven CFL stadiums would ever be used.

The CFL has been locked into an end of November Grey Cup since forever, and with an additional team being added next year the CFL schedule will start at least a week earlier from now on.

The CFL wouldn't prevent Canada from the getting the World Cup but there is no way seven CFL stadiums would ever be used.
Why not? You only need all the stadiums for group play, which ends before the CFL season even starts.

Would the CFL schedule be unchanged in 2026 - the year of the next available World Cup?

It's such a non-issue ... there are tons of good reason Canada will not be getting the World Cup in 2026 ... the CFL isn't one of them.

Back