News   May 23, 2024
 260     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 991     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 768     1 

Canadian patriotism... Or lack of...

I was born here, but my parents were immigrants who came here as teenagers. I don't think you should completely abandon your culture....but if you come to this country you should immerse yourself in its culture. It annoys me that some people come here and don't want to assimilate. I ask, "why did you even bother coming here?"

I guess they some here to escape tyranny, communism, war, poverty, or to have freedom or simply for greater opportunites here for themselves and/or their kids (in fact, some might not even be here if not for the kids). I'm not sure many came because of their love of Canadian culture.

And if you look at the history of immigration in North America, you'll find that 1st generations tend to hold on to their roots from whence they came. It's the 2nd generation (or those 1st generations who were raised here as kids) who begins to become more rooted to the adopted country. It really has little or nothing to do with Canadian multiculturalism vs. American melting pot policies. It's human nature.

So the Portuguese immigrant whom the OP refers to who would rather root for a Portuguese team than a Canadian team, would do no different if he were living in LA. Conversely, Germans shouldn't blame a Canadian who has lived in Germany for many years to be rooting for Canada over Germany in Olympic hockey. It's just the way it is.

Do you think the majority of the first, or the second or the third, etc. generation came for the "culture"? do you think they completely abandoned their culture? No, lets face it most immigrants came here because they did not have the opportunity at home. I mean if you had a good life, money, etc. back then - you stayed.... it was those looking for a new life. Love of country is one that grows over time - why do some people expect things to be any different now?

Do you think the majority of the first, or the second or the third, etc. generation came for the "culture"? do you think they completely abandoned their culture? No, lets face it most immigrants came here because they did not have the opportunity at home. I mean if you had a good life, money, etc. back then - you stayed.... it was those looking for a new life. Love of country is one that grows over time - why do some people expect things to be any different now?
I think a lot of people also come because they can keep their old culture and not be as discriminated as badly as other places (i.e. pretty much anywhere in the world except the west coast US, NY area, and Australia.) Would it really be unpatriotic for people to hold onto that culture that this country encourages you to keep? I don't think so.

Back