471     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.2K     7 

Canadian National Exhibition 2012

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Today, Wednesday, August 22, 2012 had the opportunity to visit the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE). It was my birthday yesterday, so went down to visit the place they set up especially for me (not).

Since it was 2012, the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812, I figured I should attempt to visit the only remaining building of the New Fort, the Stanley Barracks. Attempted is the key word. Had to walk through a parking lot, and when I reached it, the building was closed. So much for that plan.

Overall, I am disappointed in that so many buildings that used to be part of the Ex are closed or outside the boundary fence. The CNE used to billed as the World's Largest Annual Exhibition. No longer. Most everything has been put into the Direct Energy Building.

The Dufferin Gates are no longer used as the main western entrance. Everything south and west is no longer part of the Ex.

Pitiful, pitiful.

If the board of the CNE wants to use the other buildings for other purposes, go ahead. However, during the CNE the other buildings should be included as the CNE as well.

Today, Wednesday, August 22, 2012 had the opportunity to visit the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE). It was my birthday yesterday, so went down to visit the place they set up especially for me (not).

Since it was 2012, the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812, I figured I should attempt to visit the only remaining building of the New Fort, the Stanley Barracks. Attempted is the key word. Had to walk through a parking lot, and when I reached it, the building was closed. So much for that plan.

Overall, I am disappointed in that so many buildings that used to be part of the Ex are closed or outside the boundary fence. The CNE used to billed as the World's Largest Annual Exhibition. No longer. Most everything has been put into the Direct Energy Building.

The Dufferin Gates are no longer used as the main western entrance. Everything south and west is no longer part of the Ex.

Pitiful, pitiful.

If the board of the CNE wants to use the other buildings for other purposes, go ahead. However, during the CNE the other buildings should be included as the CNE as well.

I completely agree! I hate what has been done to the CNE over the last decade. Handing over those building to private interests, and keeping out the general public, has degraded the CNE. It seems to be just one big, tacky flea market now.

The CNE got a great boost in the early 70's with Ontario Place opening. As memory serves the CNE started getting junky by the mid 80's and structures started coming down over the next decade; Exhibition Stadium, The Alpine Way, Bulova Tower & The Flyer.

The CNE got a great boost in the early 70's with Ontario Place opening. As memory serves the CNE started getting junky by the mid 80's and structures started coming down over the next decade; Exhibition Stadium, The Alpine Way, Bulova Tower & The Flyer.

Add to that the large games building, where they had a huge Bingo, as well as other games held in a colourful, permanent building. (unlike the shabby tent they use today) Does anybody remember when the CNE gave away French Poodles (real ones) as well as parakeets (again, real ones) as prizes? I can't imagine them ever getting away with that today.

The BMO field is a lousy replacement for the Grandstand. The old Grandstand at least had a rain shelter of a sort. I don't like that they just had to create more parking spaces for cars where the Grandstand used to be. Shifting the streetcar loop out of sight under the Gardiner was another mistake. The car is king for the directors of the CNE, but catering to the car makes the CNE worse.

I should point out that the CNE and Exhibition Place are two separate entities. One manages the property, the other organizes the fair. Sometimes the CNE gets the short of end of the stick when Exhibition Place leases out parts of the grounds or demolishes existing structures. Both could be better run, but the blame doesn't sit solely on the CNE.

Or, for that matter, the Hockey/Sports Hall Of Fame, and I don't know how much the eastern Livestock/Sheep/Swine parts of the old Coliseum complex count, given that they-or-parts-thereof were mostly regurgitated as Direct Energy...

Actually, I'd volunteer this as the *real* beginning of the junkiness: 1978's Centennial Square, which was basically a bunch of ye-olde-ed metal sheds next to Dufferin Gate, and a travesty of the CNE's 100th birthday...

I should point out that the CNE and Exhibition Place are two separate entities. One manages the property, the other organizes the fair. Sometimes the CNE gets the short of end of the stick when Exhibition Place leases out parts of the grounds or demolishes existing structures. Both could be better run, but the blame doesn't sit solely on the CNE.
I have always believed that Exhibition Place is a location, while the Canadian National Exhibition is the name of the event held in Exhibition Place.

I have always believed that Exhibition Place is a location, while the Canadian National Exhibition is the name of the event held in Exhibition Place.

It went downhill when they renamed Exhibition Park to Exhibition Place. The west section of Exhibition Park, with it trees, bandstand, individual buildings was better than the concrete, parking lots, and trade show building in the east section.

Remember when the Food Corps promoted their products and you could make an entire meal from free samples? :)

Maybe they need to revive the old world exhibition idea, with pavillions from countries all over the world.

Back