News   Apr 18, 2024
 206     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 528     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     0 

Canada and the World

Does Canada needs carriers on our own coasts? Aren't they more useful for power projection, which is not really the business we're in...?

Given the size of our country and coast lines we probably should have them. It should be noted that Canada is the only G7 country or country of any significant size without some kind of flat top. Not included on this list is Japan and South Korea pursuing their own carrier and amphibious programs.

article-2024425-0D60765400000578-266_634x402.jpg

When it comes to the question of power projection, at some point, we have to ask whether Canada intends to act like a middle power and major global economy. Our turn away from the kind of power projection we engaged in during the Cold War (with bases in Europe and Caribbean), is why we're being left out of emerging alliances (like AUKUS). The end result of our current trends, is that we accept our fate as an American dependency. Including future deployments in the Arctic:

I dunno, it wouldn't be a high priority for me while we have major gaps in more basic capability.

I dunno, it wouldn't be a high priority for me while we have major gaps in more basic capability.

We have plenty of gaps. This is one of them. It's just further down the list. For example, it's pretty hard to really control the maritime domain without a flat top of some kind. Even hunting subs is easier and more effective with a flat top. It's also hard to deploy our forces in an emergency (like the recent requests to bolster NATO in Europe) without proper sealift of our own. But yes, having an actually functional military might be a pre-requisite.

Australia is what we should aspire to:

Exactly what I've been saying for a while......

“The fact is that (nuclear submarine) technology has existed for a while, so the sharing of that is not a big deal,” he said.

“The issue is when you start talking about advanced technology in terms of the artificial-intelligence domain, machine learning, quantum, all of these things that really matter moving forward. Those are conversations we need to be in on. And the issue is: Why are we not included in this? Is it resistance to get involved? Is it policy restrictions that we have? Or are we just not going to invest? That's the question. So it is a significant concern.”

The government is being rather disingenuous pretending that this is just a tech sharing deal and not a major change in the geopolitical positioning of Canada, with some potentially serious consequences.

A column from the Star's Martin Regg Cohn opposing Canadian military intervention in Haiti and suggesting it would be a futile effort and end badly.

Given the history of such interventions, I think that's probably not an unreasonable conclusion.

However, it does lay out a couple of conundrums. One is what are we (or anyone else) ever going to do about Haiti, which seems an unending basketcase?

The second is that the Americans and U.N. are both regularly pushing us to 'lead' some sort of exercise to do 'something'. Again, I'm not sure that's a wise idea; on the other hand, in the world of real politik; the decision to go may be
less about Haiti's welfare or our effectiveness than being seen to be cooperative with our ally...

Last edited:
A column from the Star's Martin Regg Cohn opposing Canadian military intervention in Haiti and suggesting it would be a futile effort and end badly.

Given the history of such interventions, I think that's probably not an unreasonable conclusion.

However, it does lay out a couple of conundrums. One is what are we (or anyone else) ever going to do about Haiti, which seems an unending basketcase?

The second is that the Americans and U.N. are both regularly pushing us to 'lead' some sort of exercise to do 'something'. Again, I'm not sure that's a wise idea; on the other hand, in the world real politik; the decision to go may be
less about Haiti's welfare or our effectiveness than being seen to be cooperative with our ally...
The article starts off with the term "peacekeeping", which too many Canadian nostalgically think of when they think of the military (if they think about it at all). A deployment to Haiti would be anything but a blue-helmeted, lightly armed, operationally constrained 'wave-and-smile' mission. He later correctly calls it "peacemaking". Many Canadians, politicians and academics might support it, until personnel start coming home in body bags and/or images of white soldiers killing black citizens start appearing. The absolute worst situation would be for us to send a contingent, the government and public lose their stomach and interest, but leave the troops there so as to not look like we are cutting and running. I also have no faith in the UN's ability to lead foreign military missions.

I don't feel like the right answer is for us to turn a blind eye to Haiti's present circumstances. I'm not sure that we are willing to commit what it would take to try to re-establish a functioning state there.

I don't feel like the right answer is for us to turn a blind eye to Haiti's present circumstances. I'm not sure that we are willing to commit what it would take to try to re-establish a functioning state there.
Haiti has been an independent nation since 1804; before that it was a French colony. I'm not convinced "us" has any obligation. There is virtually no functioning civil infrastructure or institutions nor apparently much desire to create and maintain them. Any commitment to turn that place around would take probably two generations of running it like a colony.

For all those who think North America is untouchable.....

The Japanese attempted this (as an offensive weapon) during the Second World War - it wasn't a very effective avenue for generalized destruction (slow, generally unpredictable path - it might be hard to detect but also rather vulnerable). I do have to wonder what this particular balloon is carrying. Would be interesting to take it down for a close look.

AoD

The Japanese attempted this (as an offensive weapon) during the Second World War - it wasn't a very effective avenue for generalized destruction (slow, generally unpredictable path - it might be hard to detect but also rather vulnerable). I do have to wonder what this particular balloon is carrying. Would be interesting to take it down for a close look.

AoD

Different implication here than Japanese WWII terror balloons.

If we were going to develop a maritime patrol aircraft, the best solution would be to team up with the Europeans and use the A220. The Global is too small to compete with the P8. The Europeans are still early in development:

We're likely getting the P-8 though and the E-7A for AWACS as part of NORAD modernization.

Back