chicagospire2py9.jpg

July 30, 2007

dsc0259jn9.jpg

chispire2ov1.jpg

cs1ck5.jpg

dsc0187hl3.jpg

dsc0176ya5.jpg

How Chicago Spire will look in future from a blogger's perspective

Between the beginning of construction, and the last images of Chicago Spire shown on this thread, there have been a number of revisions.

The best Blogger rendering is arguably from Ryan81 on the Chicago SkyScraper Page. He is from Kansas City and is a student of architecture, and he constructed this image using all the new buildings going up nearby and including the Chicago Spire itself:

compositegr5.jpg

If you are aware of the proposed, approved or under-construction Chicago buildings you will see them here. They include the Chicago Spire, Aqua I, Aqua II, Trump Tower Chicago, etc.

.​

How Chicago Spire will look in future from developer/architect view

Bridge and park are also Calatrava creations. The bridge is probably a placeholder in the rendering:

cslgdc0.jpg

Evolving Base from Approved through Site-Prep Changes

left - Approved Base, bottom half is the lobby; right - Site-Prep Version Change of Base
639922297_20185eb582.jpg

Newly designed interior lobby from two angles
csnew2hl8.jpg
csnew3bt4.jpg

Calatrava proposes a landscaping plan to the east of the Chicago Spire

left - Previous proposal for DuSable Park east of CS; right - Calatrava's proposal for same
28625503.jpg

Wow. That building is spectacular. I don't get the park fight, though. What is it that the residents' group is upset about? They both seem like perfectly acceptable designs for a park, though the lack of a pedestrian walkway over the highway in the civic group plan would seem to be a rather large hindrance to success.

Wow. That building is spectacular. I don't get the park fight, though. What is it that the residents' group is upset about? They both seem like perfectly acceptable designs for a park, though the lack of a pedestrian walkway over the highway in the civic group plan would seem to be a rather large hindrance to success.

The plans are similar, although Calatrava's plan appears to be better in the detailing. There is a minor battle of precedence, ego and subtle sweetening of the CS package going on in this fight over the eventual landscape design.

Btw that highway is the famous Lake Shore Drive - or as Chicagoans like to call it 'LSD,' pun probably intended. Chicago Spire is connected to this park via an under the LSD, gateway design (take another look at post #78, and you will see this gateway idea manifested in the rendering).

The building is simply incredible, in all respects.

thanks for the posting of pics!

calatrava's design for the park seems to be more thought out. the programming seems to be much more rich but situated in the right places.

I think New York needs to respond - strange that Calarava's cube project near the Brooklyn Bridge has gone dormant. I recognize Manhattan is less development friendly, nevertheless Chicago is charging ahead.

Thanks very much for the ongoing updates, Solar Wind. It's much appreciated!

This will be fascinating to watch as it rises. I think it will be quite stunning.

Back