News   Aug 02, 2024
 3.3K     2 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.4K     2 

Calatrava's Chicago Spire (Chicago)

Re: .

32.-juicer-Big.gif

Bog, you don't think this overwelms a little bit? The fact that its as tall as is allowed in the US and that it is the first building facing the lake doesn't help either.

spire9cw.jpg

The base/lobby of the building looked awfully like the Baha'i Temple for Santiago (Chile) by Hariri Pontarini.

AoD

this kinda reminds me about carlin's routine about america having alot of stuff that looks like penis - bullets, rockets, etc.

maybe it's an anti-terror strategy? would extremist terrorists fly a penis shaped device into a penis shaped building?

i think not!

I agree with a spire being added to the top. It's too phallic without it.

The phallic, spireless Chicago "Spire" does remind me of 2 IFC, the tallest building in Hong Kong

Ifc2.jpg

wylie:

Indeed - particularly in terms of context (right against a body of water). The result was definitely awkward - not to mention the building managed to interrupt the "spine" of the peaks - a stated "no-no" in Metroplan.

AoD

"Bog, you don't think this overwelms a little bit?"

Yeh... I guess it does a tad :)

I agree with a spire being added to the top. It's too phallic without it.

How?

The only thing phallic about it is it's roundness...which doesn't even really have a phallic like shape.

Everyone: Knowing the Chicago skyline myself-I have relatives in that area-I think that it looks out of place in that shot-I like revolutionary new designs but NOT this one! LI MIKE

I fail to see how a taller tower overwhelms a skyline.

If any city's skyline could support it, Chicago would be one.

It fits in well, and I think it would be a fine addition to an already superior skyline.

I agree Canuck. I'd love to see a building like this go up, although I would prefer it if it was in Toronto!!

Back