News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.8K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 672     0 

Cabbagetown

A few things:

Parliament St. isn't a nice neighborhood. If you're interested in chilling out in a nice neighborhood, Riverdale Park (by Riverdale Farm) has lots of seating, and is in a great setting.

If you don't like the neighbourhoud then what difference does it make to you anyways? Sure, the people that frequent the Coffee Time aren't the most upwardly mobile folks around, but at least they're bringing a sense of community to the area. They live in the area too, and the street belongs to them as much as anyone else.

And the presence of the scooter crew certainly wouldn't stop me from grabbing a bench. They're entirely harmless.

If you don't like the neighbourhoud then what difference does it make to you anyways?

I do like the neighborhood, but I'd rather sit in a park than on a noisy, ugly street to enjoy it. However, people-watching can be fun, so I'll give you that.

Sure, the people that frequent the Coffee Time aren't the most upwardly mobile folks around, but at least they're bringing a sense of community to the area. They live in the area too, and the street belongs to them as much as anyone else.

You sound like their lawyer! That's quite the euphemism. I realize their rights as citizens and human beings, and that's why I don't partake in the really, really mean-spirited comments I hear people make about them (the ones on this forum pale in comparison). Unfortunately for them (and perhaps justifiably), the local business owners will likely have more pull on the bench issue.

And the presence of the scooter crew certainly wouldn't stop me from grabbing a bench. They're entirely harmless.

Where will you sit when every spot is taken? I don't see many people willing to sit in-between a chain-smoking mullet-man and his 400 lb baby-mama.

You have to be realistic here. I'd love to have picnic tables in Allan Gardens, but realize that they will be permantenly occupied by homeless people. The whole "I'll sit there anyway" open-mindedness will probably go out the window when you remember that the smell of urine can be offensive.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of checking out a unit on Homewood ave that has recently been listed. However I am concerned about the amount of crime and the brashness of such crimes in the area. Just how sketchy is this area of town, I know St James town is to the north and is infamous, as is Regent park. However my co worker who lives just outside the area tells me that keeping along the Jarvis strip is pretty much ok. Further east along Parliment and Sherbourne is where things get hairy.

Any advice or words of wisdom?

It's not nearly as dangerous as described. Don't go venturing into the Moss Park flats down on Shuter and you'll be ok. I'm not sure where all that information came from (though it seems like it's a common belief that the area is horrendous from people who aren't downtown), but I've been in the general area for two years now and have never had any problems, or witnessed anything worse than some minor drug deals.

This should give you a better idea of what the area's like. One stabbing last year, and it was closer to Jarvis.

Last edited:
It's not nearly as dangerous as described. Don't go venturing into the Moss Park flats down on Shuter and you'll be ok. I'm not sure where all that information came from (though it seems like it's a common belief that the area is horrendous from people who aren't downtown), but I've been in the general area for two years now and have never had any problems, or witnessed anything worse than some minor drug deals.

This should give you a better idea of what the area's like. One stabbing last year, and it was closer to Jarvis.

I personally found that Allen Gardens is sketchier than Moss Park. You're guaranteed to see weird things in both places, but in neither willy uo find much actual danger.

Friends of mine (with a lower tolerance for sketchiness than I) enjoyed their time on Homewood.

I personally found that Allen Gardens is sketchier than Moss Park. You're guaranteed to see weird things in both places, but in neither willy uo find much actual danger.

Friends of mine (with a lower tolerance for sketchiness than I) enjoyed their time on Homewood.

Yeah, Moss Park itself is quite fine, I play tennis there often and its become invaluable (despite the crappy fence-nets). The actual Moss Park apartments are among the worst in the area however. I believe 295 Shuter is the one that the postal service refused (still refuses?) to deliver to. All people aside though, Allan Gardens is a far nicer park. The old Victorian greenhouses are great.

Unsightly? Sometimes. Dangerous? Rarely. I've been in Cabbagetown for years, and I've lived safer place, but I don't live in fear. As long as you take basic precautions, you're about as safe as anywhere downtown.

Our idea of safe is so phenomenally warped, it's crazy. I know we're talking only about Cabbagetown here, but Toronto is the safest city over 100 000 people, in North America (that means we're safer than Kingston or Guelph!). That's no small feat. Cabbagetown does have it's more colourful areas, but as long as you're aware - as you should be wherever you are - it's totally fine with the exception of a couple blocks on a couple streets - and it's easy to spot which streets those are (Shuter being one of them).

Our idea of safe is so phenomenally warped, it's crazy. I know we're talking only about Cabbagetown here, but Toronto is the safest city over 100 000 people, in North America (that means we're safer than Kingston or Guelph!). That's no small feat. Cabbagetown does have it's more colourful areas, but as long as you're aware - as you should be wherever you are - it's totally fine with the exception of a couple blocks on a couple streets - and it's easy to spot which streets those are (Shuter being one of them).

And George St between Dundas and Gerrard. I don't spook easily but that street just has too much sketch in one place.

back to the benches

From http://cabbagetownnews.blogspot.com/

Here's the BIAs idea for settling the controversy over the proposed benches on Winchester, Carlton, and Spruce.

We suggest a “test case†at Carlton and Parliament. This boulevard is currently being torn up by construction for the new commercial building. When the landscaping starts, we’ll help with trees, seats, interlocking brick and a place to put public art. The seating will be designed so that people can’t sleep on it.
This is a pilot project. If it works, we’ll all enjoy these facilities. If a problem develops, we’ll try to fix it. If we can’t fix the problem, we’ll remove the seats.

Sounds fair.

When it comes to Cabbagetownny stuff, this is worth noting

http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/Deaths.20090715.93201905/BDAStory/BDA/deaths

MARGARET JEAN (PEGGY) KURTIN (NEE CARSCADDEN) Born in Ottawa on October 7, 1932, daughter of Bernice Laura and John Thomas Carscadden. Passed away on July 13, 2009 having shown great dignity and courage during her illness. Pre-deceased by her beloved husband James in 1984 and survived by her six children, Kathleen, Bill (Deborah), Douglas (Heather), Jeremy (Carol), Jordan (Sylva) and Molly Jean, and her seven grandchildren, Carey, Matthew, Jessica, Melissa, Claire, Chloe, and Cassandra and her sisters Garnatt Ann (Garrie) and Dorothy Lee. Peggy was dedicated to her community and provided much of the research that led to the Heritage Designation for Cabbagetown. Peggy also served on the board of the Toronto Historical Association, the Cabbagetown Preservation Association and was a member of the Ontario Heritage Board. She received many awards for her heritage and community work including the Lieutenant Governor 's award and the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal. Visitation will be held on Wednesday July 15 between 2:00 and 4:00 pm and 7:00 and 9:00 pm at the Rosar Morrison Funeral Home, 467 Sherbourne St., Toronto. You are invited to join the family for a Memorial Service and Reception to be held under a tent at the east end of Winchester St. near the gates of the Necropolis Cemetery on Thursday July 16 at 11:00 am. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Cabbagetown Preservation Association (www.cabbagetownpa.ca) for the establishment of a heritage library.

House On Parliment Moving

That's right, everyone's favourite Cabbagetown watering hole is moving!

The CCAC (the community centre next door) is in financial trouble, and they're moving out, so the owners of the HOP bought the house. Apparently, HOP management is not too thrilled with their landlord, and saw the opportunity to buy their own location, so they went for it. The move won't happen for a year, however. I hope the new location doesn't effect the atmosphere of the place.

Beez disappeared within days of Mot's disappearance. If I didn't know who they both were I'd assume they were the same person.

Back