News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 673     0 

Cabbagetown

I've noticed that the "grass" (dirt) along side the Necropolis on Sumach St. is covered with white batting. So are the lawns of a few houses on Sumach and Amelia. I'm assuming this is in prep for filming something?

Aaaand, it turns out I can answer my own question thanks to the flyer I found in my mailbox this afternoon. It is indeed prep for more Scott Pilgrim - they'll be filming next week on Tuesday and Wednesday. And they're picking up our garbage for us - thanks SP Canadian Film Productions Inc.!

That's great news about them picking up the garbage. I don't know if it was the extra long snow season, or my short memory, but it seems as though there's a lot of it still around.

They're picking up grabage and providing 24 hour security at a couple of public lots (since people won't be able to park on a few different streets on a few different days).

They're Fflming is on Carlton this morning. You can't even drive through.

Lots of new news from the blog...

I'd not heard of this landscaping re-do until now.

EDIT: After reading some of the .pdf below, this is a really exciting proposal. It's only preliminary, and some of the features come off a little kitschy for my tastes (the cabbages in the middle of the intersections, that's a bit much.), but overall it could be a vast improvement to the area.

http://www.sunarts.ca/pdf/Sunarts_Design_Cabbagetown_Preliminary_Report_30_March_2009.pdf
Landscape Revitalization
Over the past year, the BIA Board has been studying ways to revitalize Parliament, Carlton and Gerrard within our boundaries. With the help of a grant from the City of Toronto, we commissioned David Orsini of Sunarts Design to do a review of our facilities and to make recommendations for renewal.
He’s suggested ways to enhance the identity and character of our neighbourhood, to make it more pleasant, to draw people here and to make it safer and more comfortable for them to linger. His special interest in a greener, sustainable environment has lead to new ideas for tree plantings and for places where we can sit and watch the street life around us. True to Cabbagetown’s history, he was directed to make his plans inclusive, to welcome everyone into our shops and streets.
Some of his suggestions can be undertaken immediately and some are aimed at a longer term.
When these changes happen, they will be sponsored and paid for by local businesses. Obviously, we cannot afford huge capital projects so our recommendations will also be tied into programs and projects approved by the City.
With a plan like this, we can give a vision and a sense of direction to others so we pull together to achieve a common goal.
Please review the plan. Please send us your reactions. Look especially at the places close to you which you know best. Make sure that you approve of the ideas that David is suggesting. http://www.sunarts.ca/

haven't heard about or seen this place, i'll have to check it out...

The new Underdown
Brian and Eric Underdown have done an amazing job renovating their property at 263 Gerrard, at Gerrard and Berkeley. Upstairs, it houses the Book Bank. The future Underdown, a revival of their club that operated here several years ago, will be located downstairs. The club itself is almost ready to open. An outdoor patio has been proposed for the corner area in a space that will be lively and comfortable for customers and still provide lots of privacy for nearby residents. We’ve long wanted a good outdoor space for a drink, a meal and lots of people-watching so this is a welcome project. Watch for more news here.

And i'm sure we've all noticed this...

Knockdowns at JavaVille

Java+good.jpg

The old JavaVille building will soon disappear.
Residents have undoubtedly noticed that the hoardings are going up around the structure. The electricity and gas mains have been disconnected. The City has issued the necessary demolition permit. Plans for the site call for a new TD Canada Trust bank on the main floor and commercial offices on the two upper floors.

Carry on...

Last edited:
Thanks Dilla.

There are some great elements to that landscape proposal! The giant cabbages are a bit much, but probably wouldn't be as noticeable at street level. I love the vine-covered lamposts.

Unortunately the area desperatley needs buried utilities, and a crack-down on aging store-fronts. Hell, it would help if Pizza Pizza would just disappear entirely.

The chances of this revitilization actually happening are probably low, but it would be great if it did.

RE: Javaville
The workers are inside, dismantling before the big take-down. Did the fugly TD building get approved?

Thanks Dilla.

There are some great elements to that landscape proposal! The giant cabbages are a bit much, but probably wouldn't be as noticeable at street level. I love the vine-covered lamposts.

Unortunately the area desperatley needs buried utilities, and a crack-down on aging store-fronts. Hell, it would help if Pizza Pizza would just disappear entirely.

The chances of this revitilization actually happening are probably low, but it would be great if it did.

RE: Javaville
The workers are inside, dismantling before the big take-down. Did the fugly TD building get approved?

Yeah, there's a lot of cleaning up to do around the 'hood, to be sure. While I agree the chances of of this revitalization are low, even if we could get some of the less expensive elements of this done, it could be a major improvement.

Javaville, yeah the TD building got approved. I don't know any details of what if anything has been changed since the last renderings we saw (hopefully something - anything), but I'll keep my ear to the ground.

Also, is anyone here a member of the Cabbagetown residents association? I got something in the mail a few weeks ago, and I'm thinking of joining.

Five of us ate at Jam Cafe last night, to celebrate a birthday. None had been before, and it wasn't particularly busy, but our orders were somehow misplaced and we waited longer than one would normally expect for the meal to arrive - so our desserts were gratis. The food was good ( the white meat of my bunny was rather dry, but then it isn't a meat with a lot of fat in it anyway ... ) and there's no corkage charge on Sunday so I brought a nice Minervois. The prix fixe menu, which a couple of the group tried, was very reasonable. The staff are cheerful and a bit touchy-feely. It's a smallish place and comfortable. A small mirrored disco ball hung menacingly overhead, giving me '70s flashbacks. There's a patio at the back that looks as if it'll be nice in the summer. We chatted for ages - and left after three and a half hours. I'd go back.

Five of us ate at Jam Cafe last night, to celebrate a birthday. None had been before, and it wasn't particularly busy, but our orders were somehow misplaced and we waited longer than one would normally expect for the meal to arrive - so our desserts were gratis. The food was good ( the white meat of my bunny was rather dry, but then it isn't a meat with a lot of fat in it anyway ... ) and there's no corkage charge on Sunday so I brought a nice Minervois. The prix fixe menu, which a couple of the group tried, was very reasonable. The staff are cheerful and a bit touchy-feely. It's a smallish place and comfortable. A small mirrored disco ball hung menacingly overhead, giving me '70s flashbacks. There's a patio at the back that looks as if it'll be nice in the summer. We chatted for ages - and left after three and a half hours. I'd go back.

I went there a couple of weeks ago for the first time in a long time. I had the prix five, the main was a risotto which was disappointing. The rest of the meal was quite nice, my partner's meal was some sort of open ravioli and it was amazing. They had $3 bottles and $4 pints on last Sunday (I don't know if that happens every Sunday, but it might), and if you bring a bottle of wine on a Sunday, no corkage fee.

The Stone Grill and Lounge 51 (same owners) are finished. :-(

The Stone Grill always seemed to be busy, but I learned long ago that it's impossible to use perceived-business as an indicator of restaurant success.

The corner of Winchester and Parliament is going to be dead, save for the scooter-crew.

The Stone Grill always seemed to be busy, but I learned long ago that it's impossible to use perceived-business as an indicator of restaurant success.

The corner of Winchester and Parliament is going to be dead, save for the scooter-crew.

Maybe the scooter-crew is interested in investing in a restaurant? Their thing could be the "no-walk-in" special, and the posters for it could have Christopher Walken's face circled with a line through it (too lazy to photoshop it myself).

How good does Cabbagetown look in the Spring. Real good!

I never thought I'd be a "go for a walk" kinda-guy, but this neighborhood has turned me.

Damn this recession. The Stone Grill was great and the bar was a super place to go after a night out. I will miss the place.

It sounds like a goddam war zone downtown again today with all the really buzzy propeller driven aircraft. Soooo much of it, too. Hard to enjoy the terrace.

Do you other Cabbagetowners find it bad?

It sounds like a goddam war zone downtown again today with all the really buzzy propeller driven aircraft. Soooo much of it, too. Hard to enjoy the terrace.

Do you other Cabbagetowners find it bad?

It's funny so say that. My wife and I were discussing it last night. We live in South Riverdale, and have noticed that it seems like a small aircraft is over head every 5-10 minutes lately. We used to have a roof top deck at our old apt, at Queen/Boulton, and never really noticed the noise, but so far this summer it seems like a constant buzzing till at least 10pm or so. Kind of annoying but I guess they take this route due to lack of tall buildings?

Stone Grill and Samovar

The Stone Grill is up and running again, and Lounge 51 is turning into Samovar (Absinthe, Vodka, Champagne, Caviar).

Back