News   Jul 25, 2024
 749     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 669     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 509     0 

Cabbagetown

Ok, I'll keep on posting the info from the blog. It makes me feel important, anyway. ;)

I don't have decent digital camera, but for anyone who does, they've removed the green tarp on the Home Hardware (which can be seen in the image on the page previous), and the copper is visible. It looks amazing as it's really shiny at the moment, like a new penny. This probably won't last too long, so it'd be nice to have a picture.

Here ya go Dilla. I've gotta say, that's pretty striking. I haven't seen that much copper put up since they re-did old city hall. Let's hope the copper thieves don't get to it. Anyway, it's a great addition to Cabbagetown. Let's hope it influences some of the other building owners in the neighbourhood, Parliament & Carlton have some great building stock

homeh.jpg

Here ya go Dilla. I've gotta say, that's pretty striking. I haven't seen that much copper put up since they re-did old city hall. Let's hope the copper thieves don't get to it. Anyway, it's a great addition to Cabbagetown. Let's hope it influences some of the other building owners in the neighbourhood, Parliament & Carlton have some great building stock

Thanks for the pic, androiduk. Ain't it something? Too bad about all the wires in front.
They've re-done the store level windows and doors to the building, as well. The old doors into the hardware store looked quite charming, but they were actually very difficult to use, and I would imagine near impossible for the anyone with a physical disability. Now they're automatic.

Well, it's been quiet around here.
The paper covering the Starbucks windows came down yesterday, and I've got pictures to prove it! (I apologize for the quality - it's VGA camera on my phone - don't know why they're back and white...oh well)

DSC00019.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

It looks nice. The drywall isn't even up on the upper floors. You can see the stickers still on the windows. There hasn't been any activity there in several months.

Last edited:
Am not too bothered by the lack of movement upstairs, but am glad that this store will be opening soon, overall the building is much better than the hideous pile that used to occupy the site.

Am not too bothered by the lack of movement upstairs, but am glad that this store will be opening soon, overall the building is much better than the hideous pile that used to occupy the site.

Oh, I don't mean to give the impression that it bothers me, it doesn't. I just find it odd that they'd move so quickly on the outside, and then just walk away.

I've never seen a pot-hole season like this one. Parts of Toronto, and the surrounding highways make you think you're in a third world country. It's amazing.

Anyway, there's a pothole on Carlton, near Metcalfe, that has exposed the beautiful red brick that once made up the old streets of Cabbagetown. It was a pretty cool piece of history to literally stumble over. Maybe I'll take a picture before they patch it (2012).

There's another pothole I found on Amelia that has exposed some cobblestone.

I had no idea that they just paved over the old roads.

Removing the bricks would be way too costly labour wise. Cut corners wherever possible, that's how we do things 'round here.

Starbucks is open.

There's a lot of work going on in Posterity Graphics' old haunt.

Great weather! The motorized scooters have been polished and tuned. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the riders.

Starbucks is open.

Great weather! The motorized scooters have been polished and tuned. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the riders.

I notice the Starbucks doesn't have motorized handicap-friendly doors, even though it's in a brand new building. Maybe they're trying to exclude the scooter crew.

Starbucks is open.

Hahaha. I noticed the skooter krew yesterday. Not in front of the Coffee time, but just west in front of the sales centre for those hideous town-houses. It must be spring.

Unsurprisingly, Jet Fuel was still packed Saturday morning. The man behind me in line ordered a "Skinny Latté Vente" (as a joke, or course), and we all had a good laugh.

I notice the Starbucks doesn't have motorized handicap-friendly doors, even though it's in a brand new building. Maybe they're trying to exclude the scooter crew.

That would be a smart move. Although I doubt that bunch is into $4 coffee.

Lots from the Cabbagetown blog...
http://cabbagetownnews.blogspot.com/

On Friday afternoon, Ontario’s premier Dalton McGuinty and Deb Matthews (Minister of Children & Youth Services) came to the Cabbagetown. Who knew?

Filming event
Cabbagetown is home to several scenes in the new film “Scott Pilgrim versus The World†being produced by Universal Studios. The corner of Carlton and Parliament is being used on Monday, March 23 to depict a winter scene and a bus passing through the intersection. Parking will be restricted in some areas and the crews will be “dressing†the street with fake snow from 7 am to 11 pm.

Crime alert
We’ve just been told by sources hidden deep inside the City of Toronto that a crackdown squad has been formed to force local merchants to stop using sidewalk signs to advertise their wares. Gone are the days when restaurants could tell a breathless public about their daily soups, or internet cafes could let you know that they’re just downstairs, or tax experts could ask you to call before filing. Nope, that stuff is being swept away.
Your property tax bill is expected to go up by 4% in 2009. We’re pleased to give you this one small example of the ways that these extra funds are being spent.

Links for your convenience
On the top right corner of this page, we’re adding links to other web sites of special interest in Cabbagetown. This week, we’ve added the Cabbagetown Online Flyers link giving you connections to the weekly flyers and catalogues from 241 Pizza, Luciano’s No Frills, Royal Home Hardware and Shopper’s Drug Mart. This list is going to expand whenever we get new links.
http://cabbagetownflyers.blogspot.com

Toronto Dominion Bank at Carlton & Parliament
Plans for the site at Carlton and Parliament have passed the City’s Committee of Adjustment. The owner has announced that the first floor will be a Toronto Dominion Bank and office space will appear above it. By next week, a copy of these plans will be available on the Newsletter. The BIA has also started planning the exterior landscaping to complement the TD Bank entrance at the corner.

More Filming?

I've noticed that the "grass" (dirt) along side the Necropolis on Sumach St. is covered with white batting. So are the lawns of a few houses on Sumach and Amelia. I'm assuming this is in prep for filming something?

Aaaand, it turns out I can answer my own question thanks to the flyer I found in my mailbox this afternoon. It is indeed prep for more Scott Pilgrim - they'll be filming next week on Tuesday and Wednesday. And they're picking up our garbage for us - thanks SP Canadian Film Productions Inc.!

Last edited:

Back