News   May 15, 2024
 677     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 626     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 432     0 

Cabbagetown

Good point Mod, now I've got more thinking to do...

Moving back on topic. Took my family to China Gourmet on Carlton Street and Parliament today. For the first time we ate in the restaurant. Great food that a couple of young kids will eat, good friendly service and a fair price.

I agree about China Gourmet. Our very first night living in Canada we walked down there for our first meal here. The food is good and priced well. We also have used their delivery service which is quick.

Daniel et Daniel across the street from China gourmet makes some great desserts.

Sorry dude, can't see what you said. Besides, we're moving this thread back on the topic of Cabbagetown, and I can almost guarantee that whatever you've posted has nothing to do with this topic.

Beez,

Sorry dude, can't see what you said. Besides, we're moving this thread back on the topic of Cabbagetown, and I can almost guarantee that whatever you've posted has nothing to do with this topic.

Actually what Mot has posted IS relevant to this thread. In fact, he was gracious enough to talk about China Gourmet despite the arguments he has with you in other threads. Compare and contrast his behaviour with your own.

BTW, feel free to take a look at the forum rules that has been posted. I am sure you can appreciate the need for following the law and order agenda. If not, a demonstration can be arranged at our leisure.

AoD

Well then, I apologize, especially to you Mot, as I've read your post now (the first in weeks) and was wrong. I admit I sometimes see a fight in the offing when there isn't one. Sorry old chap.

Yes, the China Gourmet place is nice. Daniel et Daniel has some of the best coffee around too.

Hilarious, i had China Gourmet last night. I eat there at least once every two weeks, and if you know what to order (mainly the Singapore noodles), you can get 3 meals worth of food for about $11. I also recommend the "spicy peanut chicken".

They are a vast improvement over the joint that was there before. Really there isn't any nasty eateries left in the area that I can think of. Now if we can just get rid of Coffee Time we'll be set. A Second Cup would do nicely in that spot.

On a sidenote, I noticed that the George Street Diner at Richmond and Geoge has a liquor license application posted in their window. No doubt they're hoping to appeal to the local drunks and vagrants. With the closure of the last few cheap daytime (morning time?) drinking spots in Cabbagetown I imagine there's a demand down that way.

This is just a musing kind of question directed at no one in particular. Why is it that the the better off home owners in Cabbagetown seem to hunker down in their homes at night?. You never see them out and about like in the Beaches and North Toronto? And you never see them on Parliament street.

This is just a musing kind of question directed at no one in particular. Why is it that the the better off home owners in Cabbagetown seem to hunker down in their homes at night?. You never see them out and about like in the Beaches and North Toronto? And you never see them on Parliament street.
There's definitely a sense of being under siege. That said, one of the reasons we moved back from Fredericton to Cabbagetown was to get my kids more accustomed to the urban grit of the big city. We walk them everyday to Wincester Public School, right past the trashies outside Coffee Time. We take our kids out for dinner in the area, staying well past 8pm at PearTree, Gingers, China Buffet, etc. and walking home. My wife and I often sit on our front porch with a glass of wine at night time just to let the world know that we're watching out, and are often joined by our neighbours on their front porches as well.

On another topic, the running track at Spruce Court School has been relaid and it's super smooth. My kids have been learning to ride their bikes there and the improvement is great, far fewer wipe outs.

Admiral - Good on ya'. My son lives nearby on Wellesley street (rental) and tries to do as you do. If people just came out and promenaded more, then the whole tone of this area would be lifted. Especially at night. I used to think that it was a case of nice revitalized homes in a slightly dodgy not yet revitalized business district; but I'm thinking now that the slightly dodgy part is very easily remediable. If the side streets can be gentrified, why is the local main drag so inconsistent? After all, pedestrians are part of the street scenery too.

Urban Shocker - I was thinking of the horror - oh, the horror - of what some of those Cabbagetown homeowners - especially of the more prim/prissy looking variety (the homes, not the owners) would think if little ol' me in my dirty cargo pants and backwards ballcap went up, knocked and asked for change for a 'cuppa. :)

Not poking fun at prissy looking homes. They're in every nabe. Nor am I saying that North Toronto and the Beaches (ok, the BEACH) are sterling examples to emulate.

Whenever I feel afraid
I hold my head erect
And whistle a happy tune
So no one will suspect
I'm afraid.

While shivering in my shoes
I strike a careless pose
And whistle a happy tune
And no one ever knows
I'm afraid.

The result of this deception
Is very strange to tell
For when I fool the people
I fear I fool myself as well!

I whistle a happy tune
And ev'ry single time
The happiness in the tune
Convinces me that I'm not afraid.

Make believe you're brave
And the trick will take you far.
You may be as brave
As you make believe you are

You may be as brave
As you make believe you are

Well then, I apologize, especially to you Mot, as I've read your post now (the first in weeks) and was wrong. I admit I sometimes see a fight in the offing when there isn't one. Sorry old chap.

Yes, the China Gourmet place is nice. Daniel et Daniel has some of the best coffee around too.

No worries Beez. I've been guilty of the same thing at times.

We have a dog and are out and about day and night. Many of us dog owners hang out in Winchester Park chatting at night. I enjoy walking the streets of Cabbagetown at any hour. I don't feel unsafe.

Other than restaurants and pubs, what else can you do on Parliament at night?

Back