News   May 14, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 547     0 

Cabbagetown

The guys at the barber shop south of Tim Hortons told me that the guy that owns Javaville is waiting for the neighbouring buildings to become available, so that he can build something build, hopefully retail at the bottom, condos on top. Apparently he has enough coin to let it sit vacant for now.

What's with all the loiterers at NE Corner Wincester/Parliament?

Has anyone else noticed the expanding group of white-trash folks (yes, that's mullets, tatts, tongue piercings, guys with no shirts, worn-out roadie girls, swearing, shouting,...all of which by themselves make for an interesting person, but in combo, yuck...) sitting around on the sidewalks and making a general ruckus at the north-east corner of Wincester and Parliament, mostly on the north side of Wincester? At first I thought it was the usual rougher Coffee Time crowd, but there must be something else, is there a new shelter or soup kitchen in the area?

I hadn't noticed greater number, AB, but I have noticed that there's always someone much like your description around there now. Anytime of day or night. I haven't heard of any new halfway homes or the like, but that certainly doesn't mean there isn't any.

Maybe one of us should ask, "hey, wheres is yous guys com'n from, anyways?"

Has anyone else noticed the expanding group of white-trash folks (yes, that's mullets, tatts, tongue piercings, guys with no shirts, worn-out roadie girls, swearing, shouting,...all of which by themselves make for an interesting person, but in combo, yuck...) sitting around on the sidewalks and making a general ruckus at the north-east corner of Wincester and Parliament, mostly on the north side of Wincester? At first I thought it was the usual rougher Coffee Time crowd, but there must be something else, is there a new shelter or soup kitchen in the area?

This is very close to where I live, so yes.

Get an electric scooter and join up!

I still see the Coffee Time regulars, but now they seem to have gotten the word out to their friends. One the major problems is the unleased unit (former office for El-Farouk) next door. You can be sure the non-existant tenant wouldn't let this slide.

They don't seem to be mentally disabled, or physically disabled..... they just do nothing all day... I hope they're not getting a handout.

They're not really intimidating, and I have yet to see an actual contributing member of society as a target of any harassment, but it can still be treacherous to split the waters of belly rolls, piercings, jean shorts, mullets, electric scooters, dogs, and homemade cigarettes.

I still see the Coffee Time regulars, but now they seem to have gotten the word out to their friends.
The sooner that Coffee Time location is bought, closed and gentrified the better. A Second Cup would do nicely there to compliment the nice Tim Hortons, Jet Fuel and the new Starbucks location.

They're called rolleys, Roy.

I used to be cool enough to know that.

The sooner that Coffee Time location is bought, closed and gentrified the better. A Second Cup would do nicely there to compliment the nice Tim Hortons, Jet Fuel and the new Starbucks location.

I have no idea how they are surviving post-Tim Hortons. However, they seem to be getting more desperate. Every month there is some new deal in the window that has nothing to do with coffee or time:

"Chicken Sub + 30 min Internet, $0.99!"
"Nuggets + Lap Dance, $0.50!"
"Tax Returns + Pedicure, $0.25"

Hyperbole, but, yeah...

If CT were smart, they'd set up a cheque cashing business in the shops, so that you could cash your welfare cheque, receive a coupon for a free coffee and take a service fee for themselves that would more than cover the cost of the free coffee. The old glassed in smoking rooms would make perfect secure kiosks.

I used to be cool enough to know that.

I have no idea how they are surviving post-Tim Hortons. However, they seem to be getting more desperate. Every month there is some new deal in the window that has nothing to do with coffee or time:

"Chicken Sub + 30 min Internet, $0.99!"
"Nuggets + Lap Dance, $0.50!"
"Tax Returns + Pedicure, $0.25"

Ptomaine poisoning...priceless

This is very close to where I live, so yes.

Get an electric scooter and join up!

I still see the Coffee Time regulars, but now they seem to have gotten the word out to their friends. One the major problems is the unleased unit (former office for El-Farouk) next door. You can be sure the non-existant tenant wouldn't let this slide.

They don't seem to be mentally disabled, or physically disabled..... they just do nothing all day... I hope they're not getting a handout.

They're not really intimidating, and I have yet to see an actual contributing member of society as a target of any harassment, but it can still be treacherous to split the waters of belly rolls, piercings, jean shorts, mullets, electric scooters, dogs, and homemade cigarettes.

LMAO. I agree they're not really bothersome but your description is hysterical. It's the diversity of Cabbagetown, we're not Forrest Hill.

Indeed Beez, I would have been tempted to use that on you if I wasn't a Mod.

AoD

LOL The trials and tribulations of being a moderator. I think the ignore function really isn't working for him if he continues to comment to or about me anyway. I liken it to a kid pretending he's invisible by covering his eyes.

Indeed Beez, I would have been tempted to use that on you if I wasn't a Mod.

AoD
Indeed. I can guarantee you that I'm on a few ignore lists here at UT. If everyone likes, agrees with, is interested in or even cares what you have to say, then you're simply playing along to the audience. As a mid to late 30s small "c" conservative on a predominately left wing, younger person discussion group I wouldn't be writing what I feel and believe if I played that game, people would ask where the real Admiral has gone. So, instead, it will be the opposite of the above, in there will be plenty who hate, disagree with, have no interest in and don't care what I have to say, along with a smaller group of likeminded folks who wish to join me in discussion and debate.

Interestingly though, since you're using that function on others and had to advertise about it, I am not really sure whether you're actually playing to your audience in some ways.

AoD

Back