News   Jul 24, 2024
 296     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 825     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 571     0 

Cabbagetown

I equate The Source with Home Hardware (the latter of which is still seemingly going strong in Cabbagetown). If you need a box of screws you could slog it to Home Depot at Gerrard Square, or the two downtown Crappy Tire locations; or pay a bit more by walking down the street. Both stores have the stuff you need, and their closer proximity can be appealing.

Last edited:
I guess you wouldn't if you were specifically looking to goto The Source. I just can't understand why someone would want to shop there when you can make short trips to well known downtown establishments to buy better merchandise at equivalent or cheaper prices. Now, if it were a Canada Computers location, I'd be thrilled.

I really wish Loblaws and Shoppers would invest in their respective Cabbagetown locations: both are a disgrace.

I don't consider downtown a short trip. I'll be at The Source and back home before a 506 shows up, inspite of the low "pedestrian IQ" of Parliament Street folk. Plus I am there anyway, to go to the LCBO, or Rexall, or the dry cleaners.

The prices also don't seem to be different either. A quick look online showed identical prices for a PS4 system bundel.

But beyond that, there will be lots of people going here specifically because of the Bell affiliation; you can pay any Bell bill in cash, load minutes to pre-paid plans, troubleshoot service etc., buy new phones, etc... and that let's them do the sales pitch for other Bell stuff, where they really make money.

Can't you pay Bell online like everything else nowadays ? ; - ) ... it is 2014 ...

Moreover, why not just setup an automatic payment to your CC or DC ...

Can't you pay Bell online like everything else nowadays ? ; - ) ... it is 2014 ...

Moreover, why not just setup an automatic payment to your CC or DC ...

In this store's area there will be thousands of people with steady income who don't have bank accounts or credit cards.

Ah why ? You probably mean a steady but low income, so its hard for them to acquire things like a credit card, and maybe even a bank account ?

Ah why ? You probably mean a steady but low income, so its hard for them to acquire things like a credit card, and maybe even a bank account ?

A variety of reaaons, but that's often the root cause. Anyone can open a basic chequing account, they have to let you have at least that by law, but if you have very bad credit, unstable income, or are just poor at financial planning, it's often easier and cheaper to work with cash only. Very recent, or illegal immigrants, seniors with only a CPP for income, people who work irregularly, or under the table, will often not have accounts. That's why there are so many cheque cashing places in the neighbourhood and they're always busy. For a lot of people with low financial literacy or resources, doing everything in cash makes it much easier to plan. These people have low ability to navigate or understand how or why they are charged fees by banks and would end up constantly paying $5 to withdraw $20 form a private ATM at the corner store. Bad planning leads them to get $50 NSF fees every month. So they give up and stick to the cheque cashing stores and they really do have better hours than branches (some are 24/7). They also feel more comfortable going to those places than traditional banks where they think they will be frowned upon. They're never going to use the more advanced services of a full bank (mortgage/investments/insurance/etc..) so, why bother?

Understood, its just a shame because its so easy to get all of that for free with the right bank account / ... heck I love credit cards as well, its fairly easy to get 1-3% cash (or the equivalent) back every year ...

Having said that, I do know the unfortunate truth, which is rather indirectly; I can achieve all of these things on the backs of those folks who (for whatever reason, or have no choice) generate the revenue for all the credit card companies ... i.e. those who carry a balance ... if there weren't such folks, you wouldn't be able to get all the perks, heck if everyone never carried a balance on the cards the companies would be out of business in less then a day ... even with the anaul fees some charge ...

I'm on the verge of thinking 420 Smokehouse is a cruel joke being played on the neighborhood.

Last edited:
Understood, its just a shame because its so easy to get all of that for free with the right bank account / ... heck I love credit cards as well, its fairly easy to get 1-3% cash (or the equivalent) back every year ...

Having said that, I do know the unfortunate truth, which is rather indirectly; I can achieve all of these things on the backs of those folks who (for whatever reason, or have no choice) generate the revenue for all the credit card companies ... i.e. those who carry a balance ... if there weren't such folks, you wouldn't be able to get all the perks, heck if everyone never carried a balance on the cards the companies would be out of business in less then a day ... even with the anaul fees some charge ...

You appear unaware of "merchant fees", also called interchange fees. You indirectly pay the cost to process every transaction, regardless of cashbacks. The card issuers charge a fee to the merchant, often 5% (!) of the total bill. Every store has to pay this fee. All of them. The store passes this through to the consumer like any other expense they have. It's baked into their prices. Visa charges 5%; they raise prices 5%~. On top of that they also pay annual fees for having an account and having a point of sale system. The revenue from the merchant fees is way more than the interest income on card balances. The "cashback" rewards are a pittance of what you pay every time you use the card. This is why many small businesses don't accept credit or require a large minimum bill. They actually lose money from processing credit card transactions.

EDIT: Merchant fees have been in the news lately as some store chains have sued to allow them to explicitly pass Merchant Fees on to consumers as a line item on your bill for any rewards cards from unafilliated issuers. For example, Metro would make people pay an extra 1% for using a PC Financial Mastetcard, because they would be paying PC Financial that money to give back to you.

Last edited:
No I didn't mean the merchant fees, that's an entirely different point ... but a valid one at that.

The problem with merchant fees is that they differ by card time ! So a RBC Avion or the like (i.e. a high end card ... whatever you want to call it) will charge more to the merchant then a cheap credit card. So one would think merchants can charge someone with a higher end card a small markup ... but this is not permitted.

This is actually what the recent news was about, not the markup fee it self.

420 Smokehouse is finally opening Wednesday+

A place called Fry Haus opened on Gerrard at Parliament. Don't know what it's about yet.

Context: This is a question coming from someone who has been in Toronto for just over a year and does not have personal familiarity with all of the various 'hoods. I know their names and general reputations, but have not spent much time in them aside from walking a main drag or passing through on transit.

Cabbagetown is often spoken of as a highly desirable place to live. But on a map, it appears to be surrounded by areas that are considered "less than desirable" (i.e. St Jamestown and Regent Park). Obviously, people would not want to live there if there was an unsettling atmosphere. But with areas that are typically considered to be some of the most downtrodden struggling places in Toronto right on your doorstep, I'm wondering how this impacts day to day life.

Do people feel safe there? Can a person jog at night or make an early morning convenience store run?

I'm also wondering what the appeal of the neighborhood is, whether it is simply location, it's "brand", etc. What attracted you to the neighborhood? Did it meet your expectations? And do you intend to stay long-term?

Hi NorthYorkEd, here's a reply from someone that was in EXACTLY your position this time last year. My girlfriend wanted to buy in Cabbagetown with me, but I had all the same apprehensions you had. I said, "It's nice in Cabbagetown, but isn't it dangerous all around it - St. Jamestown, Regent Park etc?" I too was worried about my girlfriend walking home late at night.

Let me tell you my fears (and yours) were 100% unfounded.

After a year of living here I can honestly say (and we keep saying to eachother) this the best kept secret in Toronto! You get beautiful old Victorian homes (ours is 130 years old) in a green leafy super friendly neighbourhood. In the Annex you'd be paying $300,000 more for the same style house. All because people are 'afraid' of the surrounding area.

I love the east end. It's quieter and less traffic than the west end and I never feel at risk.

To put it bluntly what you really have in St. Jamestown and Regent Park are a lot of very poor new Canadian famalies just trying to make their way like any other family. The surrounding neighbourhoods are poor not dangerous. I've talked to lifelong Cabbagetown residents who said they've never had a break in. Never had an incident on the street. Now and then you'll pass some guy walking fast and yelling obscenities at the sky, but that's as bad as it gets.

The proof is in the pudding though, most people who have bought in Cabbagetown stay in Cabbagetown. They move houses within the neighbouhood but rarely leave the neighbourhood.

Anyway, hope that helps, send me a IM if you have any specific questions.

Back