News   Jul 24, 2024
 323     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 838     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 577     0 

Cabbagetown

Building permits were taken down from the window of 420 Smokehouse today. I hope this means they are finally ready to open!

Last edited:
I cannot seem to private message you, it says you have disabled this option? But I would love your input for sure! Seems like you are really knowledgeable about cabbagetown and family life. Might be me....I am not the best with technology.
Hi, I have activated PM now, so feel free to send me a msg. Cheers.

I went to Kingyo (new Izakaya resto from Vancouver) on Winchester St. where the Stone Grill used to be. It was very good, and packed... looks like this place might stick. Consider it an alternative to Guu, with less noise, chaos, and jellies on the menu. The Ramen salad is excellent.

Building permits were taken down from the window of 420 Smokehouse today. I hope this means they are finally ready to open!

Now they say next week. How long has it been from the time this place got building permits? I think almost 8 months.

If there was caution tape around fallen branches or parts of trees, you don't think there was a reasonable possibility that the area could be electrified?
Re: that map above, I'm just a little west of cabbagetown and I didn't see any areas of buildings in the dark around downtown south/east/west and I have a pretty good view of things.

no ... sometimes it's there to alert people and that tape should be fluorescent at night when the roads are dark.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 3A1

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 102445 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jan 9, 2014

Project: Retail Store Interior Alterations

Description: To complete interior alterations to the ground floor of the existing building to open a "The Source" retail store.

The Source will be a great addition to the neighbourhood. Love seeing Parliament grow and grow. The Source is a wonderful alternative to the big box electronic stores that you have to drive out to some shopping plaza for.

I really can't see a store like that pulling it off in Cabbagetown. There's nothing they sell that you can't get more variety of (and cheaper) by just walking to the Eaton Centre/Yonge or taking the streetcar to College/Spadina. I guess if it's a corporate store, then nobody cares; they are owned by Bell, after all. You know what would honestly do well and be a huge boon to the area? A Service Ontario location with extended hours to support people coming home after work.

I really can't see a store like that pulling it off in Cabbagetown. There's nothing they sell that you can't get more variety of (and cheaper) by just walking to the Eaton Centre/Yonge or taking the streetcar to College/Spadina.

Why would I walk to the Eaton Center when I can just walk one block to Parliment. Why wouldn't they be able to pull it off?

The Source will be a great addition to the neighbourhood. Love seeing Parliament grow and grow. The Source is a wonderful alternative to the big box electronic stores that you have to drive out to some shopping plaza for.

There's a Source in Brookfield Place too. It never seems to be too busy.

Why would I walk to the Eaton Center when I can just walk one block to Parliment. Why wouldn't they be able to pull it off?

I agree. I would much rather go to one on Parliament. I hate the Eaton Centre so much. There are two source locations in the PATH near where I work, but they are plagued by very slow service. I buy ear buds there as they have a very good warranty program that lets you get 2 replacements (sometimes more) for only an extra $10 up front. Pretty good considering they are a $40 product and they often last only 3 or 4 months with how heavily I use them (at least 8 hours a day).

I don't know how much of a future there is for stores like Radio Shack, the Source, etc. Don't people buy electronics cheaper from the internet now? And wouldn't you rather go to a Best Buy or Future Shop which would have a greater selection?

With respect to Service Ontario branches, there is one in Gerrard Square that never seems very busy. The College Park location is closer to Cabbagetown, but is often rammed.

I don't know how much of a future there is for stores like Radio Shack, the Source, etc. Don't people buy electronics cheaper from the internet now? And wouldn't you rather go to a Best Buy or Future Shop which would have a greater selection?

Yeah, it's called "showrooming"...

This is a strange decision; I wonder why they chose this location. I live in Cabbagetown (east of Parliament) and am all for Parliament St being cleaned up, but I can't help but think that this might not do so well. Loss prevention issues will be a big deal in this hood'... I can see The Source doing better when the entire Regent Park is complete -- but that won't be for years! Also, it's probably going to look ugly lol.

With Dollarama finally open, it's only a matter of time for the random discount stores to shutter; hopefully the storefronts won't stay abandoned/vacant. I'd love to see more entrepreneurs opening up shops and restaurants on Parliament st. It would be amazing if it could attract the kind of small businesses one might find in Leslieville or The Junction or even West of College: Trendy bars and the like!

I guess you wouldn't if you were specifically looking to goto The Source. I just can't understand why someone would want to shop there when you can make short trips to well known downtown establishments to buy better merchandise at equivalent or cheaper prices. Now, if it were a Canada Computers location, I'd be thrilled.

I really wish Loblaws and Shoppers would invest in their respective Cabbagetown locations: both are a disgrace.

Back