News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.6K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 671     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Cabbagetown

Getting a bit OT, but an interesting point. I don't know either of the two specific places referenced, but I do know a bit about Tim Hortons from some dealings with them. They have high standards for the appearance of their premises. Designs are standardized, and they renovate every ten years or so to freshen the appearance. (McDonalds also does this.) Coffee Time, on the other hand, is known for not being picky at all about their locations. You can sometimes see them in old former automotive service stations out in the country, etc. Their colour scheme stinks. About the only thing that they have changed recently is their exterior signs, and IMO even that was a step backward.

Given that many of the items offered are quite similar, and pricing is almost exactly the same, the difference is the physical environment.

If I recall, the Toronto Star did an expose on the percentage of Coffee Times cited for health violations, and it was pretty high percentage.

It's amusing to hear about the 4 storey structure and Starbucks. I lived (almost) across the street from the kink in her hair and heard about Starbucks 2 years ago! Never beleived that a Starbucks was really going there. Now it kinda makes sense.

And I (as do many Cabbagetown residents) know the greek fella who will benefit the most (but not enjoy) from this news. I'll miss his little garage with it's padlocks and ever-changing tenant profile. I have photos of the crooks and the most interesting tenants which of course includes the grand mural celebrating the weekend sex shop... that was special. Is it still there? The mural I mean.

there's now scaffolding in front of the soon to be starbucks. I'll take some pictures and post them this weekend.

I was in the nice little Parliament Street LCBO last night, stocking up on Muga. You have to ask for it sotto voce, like a member of some sort of secret society. They don't stock it on the shelves in order to avoid riots.

I was in the nice little Parliament Street LCBO last night, stocking up on Muga. You have to ask for it sotto voce, like a member of some sort of secret society. They don't stock it on the shelves in order to avoid riots.

i loooove Rioja. Thanks for the tip.

I was in that LCBO last night, too.

They had 22 bottles listed, before I hit the place. They carry more expensive Muga, but the $23 is excellent value.

I'm patiently awaiting the return of the Reserve Minervois ( Chateau de Gorgazaud ) which is about $18. I was told it would arrive mid-December.

I've just spent the evening at the Riverdale Farm with my wife and kids for the Christmas at the Farm event. It was a great evening of caroling (sp?), smores by the fire, lighting the huge tree and crafts for the kiddies. For anyone interested, it's run again tomorrow (Saturday) night.

For the ardent farm fan, there is the Babe in the Barn event on Christmas Eve (starts at 7pm or later, IIRC) at the Riverdale Farm, where the entire nativity is played out and narrated.

"Babe in the Barn" makes me think of those old "travelling salesman" jokes, somehow...

Way off topic, but...

What's with the LCBO's this year? Does anyone else find them unusually busy?

Javaville is being completely gutted... you can really see how the building was in rough shape.

The whole 2nd floor is actually a brick facade, with a siding-covered "caboose" behind it.. so odd.

Back