News   Jul 29, 2024
 620     0 

Burj Khalifa Dubai passes CN Tower as World's Tallest

Hume

Link to article

SPACE RACE
TheStar.com - GTA - CN Tower topped by Dubai but soars beyond in beauty
CN Tower topped by Dubai but soars beyond in beauty

New record holder about height for height's sake, while T.O. tower's architect designed masterpiece
Aug 27, 2007 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume
Urban affairs columnist

At some point during the next few weeks, the CN Tower will no longer be the tallest free-standing structure in the world.

It will be surpassed by the Burj Dubai, yet another nasty-looking petro-money monster in the United Arab Emirates. The question is: Does anybody care? Not likely.

It's amazing Toronto's 30-year-old tower has reigned as the world's tallest free-standing structure for as long as it has, but let's be honest, in the 21st century the fight for height has become degraded, ersatz and rather tasteless, even tacky.

To be blunt, the edifice complex is no longer a Western obsession; it has moved to arriviste nations recently grown wealthy by plundering their own natural resources, and, in China's case, its population.

You want proof? Just ask yourself: Until the Burj Dubai (due to top off 165 storeys of offices and apartments a year from now) began to claim both records, what was the tallest building in the world?

The answer, lest you've forgotten, is Taipei 101, a 2004 architectural grotesque that stands just over half a kilometre tall.

Before that, it was the Petronas Towers (1998) in Kuala Lumpur. Few outside Malaysia have ever heard of the building, unremarkable but for its height.

The need to be the biggest, highest, shiniest – whatever – is something cities go through in their civic adolescence, so to speak. Paris built the Eiffel Tower for the Universal Exposition of 1889.

In New York, the race to the clouds was played out in the 1920s and '30s, the great age of skyscrapers. Think of the competition between William Van Alen and his Chrysler Tower (1930) and William Lamb and the Empire State Building (1931).

All three are as famous now as ever. All are also magnificent structures. That's the critical factor. None of the early giants has held a height record for decades, but as icons they loom as large as ever.

Their places in the collective imagination will never be matched by Taipei, Petronas or Burj. Not only is there less interest in height records, the architecture of these three ugly sisters lacks the poetry of their antecedents.

The CN Tower, while technically not a skyscraper – a needle housing communications cables is not the same as a building – also has its place in contemporary culture. Sure it was tallest, but its design said something more; it speaks of the modern age and man's eternal desire to reach ever higher. More to the point, it soars. It is a spire, tall, thin and, yes, beautiful.

Of course, it also says much about Toronto's wanna-be psychology, but the important thing is that the CN Tower transcends the banality of its makers' intentions. The designer, Australian-born architect John Andrews, came up with a masterpiece, a structure that is somehow quintessential, not compromised by design trends or architectural fashion. It is elemental; this, we feel, is what a tower should look like.

Even the accomplished Santiago Calatrava, creator of the Montjuic Telecommunications Tower in Barcelona, didn't come close to the CN Tower.

By contrast, the Dubai building is all about height for height's sake. Its ambition can be read in every detail. It is what it is, nothing more. It goes no further than its creator's desires.

This is why the CN Tower's reign as one of the world's most recognizable and admired towers isn't threatened. It possesses qualities more important than mere height; it has a kind of perfection that makes it indispensable, irreducible and incomparable. It rises above time and place and the conditions of its own creation. It simply is, much in the manner of the pyramids, not exquisite like the Parthenon, it's true, but equally essential.

Spires elsewhere may out-climb the CN Tower, but Toronto need not concern itself. Outside their host cities, few will care.

Thanks for the civic boosterism, but I disagree with Hume's fact that Taipei 101 and the Petronas Towers were unknown outside their own countries. I think the average architecture fan has heard of the Petronas Towers, since it shows up in most cheap coffee table architecture/skyscraper book currently in print.

Many people are familiar with the Petronas Towers. Their appearance, twin towers with a skybridge, would be distinctive and memorable even if they weren't so tall. 'Entrapment' alone introduced them to millions of people.

I am reluctant to post about this topic, since anything negative would sound a lot like sour grapes. I myself (and I imagine most people on this board) am familiar with both Taipei 101 and the Petronas Towers -- the Petronas Towers being most famous, in my opinion, for the debate over whether they were 'taller' than the Sears Tower or not. I say Sears is 'taller', myself, simply by comparing them side-by-side:

WorldsTallestBuildings.gif

I fail to see any truly compelling reason why the spires on the Petronas Towers should count toward the height while neither the Sears nor the Empire State masts do, other than a (possible) anti-NA bias in the committee that decides if a particular spire/mast/antenna counts toward the height or not. The best option would be maintaining a series of separate lists: tallest to the very tip, tallest to the 'structural top' (whatever that means), tallest to the main roof, tallest to the highest inhabited floor.

Therefore, I am quite aware of the Taipei 101 status as a 'World's Tallest', but I also think that it is a rather unattractive building.

The Burj Dubai, on the other hand, is quite striking and elegant, and I think it will be a definite 'icon'. Hume here is exhibiting a parochial attitude that I dislike. Sure the CN Tower is all those complimentary adjectives. So is the Burj Dubai. At least try to be gracious about the torch passing. I just hope that the Dubai posters show some class too, on the day when Burj Dubai surpasses the CN Tower, although I am not counting on it -- I rather expect a lot of 'In your face, CN Tower!' posts instead. Or else completely ignoring the event.

Bill

Thanks for the civic boosterism, but I disagree with Hume's fact that Taipei 101 and the Petronas Towers were unknown outside their own countries. I think the average architecture fan has heard of the Petronas Towers, since it shows up in most cheap coffee table architecture/skyscraper book currently in print.

But the vast majority of people are not architecture fans, and so would not likely be aware of these buildings. Just as there are probably many people who are unaware that The CN Tower has been the tallest structure for over twenty-five years.

Among architecture geeks, there is the further distinction between occupied building and free-standing tower.

The Petronas Towers are one(two) of the most familiar skyscraper(s) in the world built in recent years if only because of 'Entrapment'...non-architecture/skyscraper fans are simply not aware of buildings that are famous for nothing else but for being tall unless they're present in popular culture in some form.

But how many people are familiar with "Entrapment"? It isn't exactly one of the must-know keynote cinematic/pop-cultural events of the past decade (at least, not until it's subject to a Simpsons/Family Guy visual quotation). Ironically, this may be a situation where it seems more "known" than it is simply because it's such a skyscraper-geek talking point.

My feeling is, with all these Asian height-record-breakers, it's kind of like when Boyz II Men beat Elvis's record #1 run on the Billboard chart in the 90s, several times over--but due to changed methodology, changed sales/distribution/consumption patterns, and cultural segmentation, it no longer mattered much...

the sears tower has more building volume that is higher in altitude than the rest of the other towers. that's what makes it in my books for buildings.

But how many people are familiar with "Entrapment"? It isn't exactly one of the must-know keynote cinematic/pop-cultural events of the past decade (at least, not until it's subject to a Simpsons/Family Guy visual quotation). Ironically, this may be a situation where it seems more "known" than it is simply because it's such a skyscraper-geek talking point.

More people have seen Entrapment than watch the Simpsons or Family Guy these days. Petronas were also featured on the Amazing Race and have probably been seen elsewhere. The point wasn't that they're a household name or instantly recognizable, but that they're so much more recognizable than almost any skyscraper built after the World Trade Center towers.

Though I do agree with your last point in the sense that if 'Dubaian Tower this' and 'Shanghaian Tower that' are known by 1% of regular people and Petronas is known by 10%, what's the real difference?

But how many people are familiar with "Entrapment"? It isn't exactly one of the must-know keynote cinematic/pop-cultural events of the past decade

It is if one is an aficionado of Catherine Zeta-Jones' spectacular ass.

zeta-jones.jpg

And which straight proprietor of a proper nutsack isn't?

^ That comment might get you in trouble on these boards.

I for one think of that scene when I think of Entrapment, but others here.... not so much.

And which straight proprietor of a proper nutsack isn't?

I guess I'm the anomaly.

No idea what Entrapment is.

But as to Catherine Zeta Jones, Michael Douglas is one lucky bastard.

Ah, I fear the coming of a mod waving a "you're off topic" sign.

I believe Hume believes what he writes, but it is so glaringly subjective as to come off sounding like sour grapes.

I, too, like the CN Tower. I remember the topping off celebrations, and with architectural one-upmanship a constant, I never imagined we would retain the title for more than 30 years. I don't think Taipei 101 ever had a chance to achieve the iconic status the CN Tower has (although I think Petronas has potential with its twin-tower-and-bridge design).

The current race for the tallest dooms buildings like Taipei 101 to quick obscurity. Not so the CN Tower, which I think earns itself a place alongside other icons. The least Hume could do is be gracious as we pass the torch.

"And which straight proprietor of a proper nutsack isn't?"

^ That comment might get you in trouble on these boards. I for one think of that scene when I think of Entrapment, but others here.... not so much.

Oy! I've just realized how that line could be completely misinterpreted. All I meant was that surely most hetero guys would appreciate said ass. I included "straight" specifically because of the relatively high gay quotient 'round here. By "proper" nutsack, I only meant intact and functioning normally. Certainly no offence or breeder shitheadery intended!

rainbow.jpg

Back