News   Apr 19, 2024
 229     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 545     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 690     1 

Buffet restaurants or lack thereof

Mandarin is even headquartered in Brampton, complete with a flagship location there.
founded there...headquartered there and flagship location with a convention/wedding facility.....big supporter of local community efforts too.....but I still won't go there because of my disdain for buffets! ;)

Asian Legend in Markham has a great decor. They have Tuesday price specials. Everyday, toddlers pay just $ 2.99.

The key to buffets is to eat smart. Avoid the salads, breads and pop ... items that fill you up.

Sushi is also a big filler with mostly rice.

I choose my meats ( i.e. Peking Duck & prime rib ) first, then seafood.

Last edited:
Is there a real Chinese restaurant anywhere? And not like most Asian restaurants where you can see a mixture of Chinese, Japanese, Tayvan dishes and even fast food

The two largest buffet chains in Ontario are Mandarin and Imperial Buffet (both serving Chinese-Canadian cuisine). There used to be Buffet King (Chinese-Canadian) as well.

Many of my older relatives (they're Chinese) complain about how the food in those buffets aren't authentic.

Obviously they aren't authentic. They're Westernized to allow for mainstream popularity (and I prefer them Westernized).

Canada's Wonderland has the Marketplace International Buffet, which primarily serves Western food, despite its name.

Wasn't there a chain of Chinese buffets called Abacus sometime ago -- it used to be in a few malls around the city, but I think it mostly disappeared by the early 2000s or something?

Not a fan of buffets. All that food just sitting out exposed to cross-contamination and sticky fingers. *shudder* (this is what happens when your sister works in public health -- she tells you things!)

Not a fan of buffets. All that food just sitting out exposed to cross-contamination and sticky fingers. *shudder* (this is what happens when your sister works in public health -- she tells you things!)

I worked in the restaurant industry for nearly a decade. if i told you what goes on behind the scenes you would never eat out ever again.

I worked in the restaurant industry for nearly a decade. if i told you what goes on behind the scenes you would never eat out ever again.
I ran a restaurant for a while. I seldom eat out. I have a friend in the industry who recommends "saf(er)" places.

Aren't a lot of buffets dependent on large groups and bus charters? I recall Town and Country buffet on Queens Quay being a magnet for big tours. I didn't know a single Torontonian who had ever been there.

'Buffets really only exist serve to satisfy the hedonist cravings of the middle-lower class."

Kind of Disagree. Old people of all socio-economic levels love buffets. If you go to the Mandarin it practically caters specifically to old people. They don't even eat that much. Some of the reasons they like buffets is that they are relaxing low-stress environments where you can come and go, see the food before you get it, take your time choosing, are not held to a specific entry choice or portion size etc.

now i have a whole other list of reasons to add to my existing reasons for hating/avoiding buffets....thx!

Wasn't there a chain of Chinese buffets called Abacus sometime ago -- it used to be in a few malls around the city, but I think it mostly disappeared by the early 2000s or something?

Yes, it's basically the same Mandarin in terms of style/offerings. I think they're gone by the mid-2000s. In terms of "class" - the clientele for Chinese/Asian buffets is very, very different from typical western "brunch" buffets, esp. those at hotels.

AoD

Last edited:
Yes, it's basically the same Mandarin in terms of style/offerings.

AoD
Wow... I thought I was off my rocker thinking there used to be a Chinese buffet in the Eaton Centre called Abacus, way back when, that had really good strawberry ice cream.

I'm digging into my childhood here, but at least I wasn't wrong!

Wow... I thought I was off my rocker thinking there used to be a Chinese buffet in the Eaton Centre called Abacus, way back when, that had really good strawberry ice cream.

I'm digging into my childhood here, but at least I wasn't wrong!

Off the top of my head, there was one at Eaton Centre, one at Fairview Mall and another at Erin Mills Town Centre. The Eaton outlet was on Level B2, right where the escalators were (I think about where the EDIT - Garage is now).

AoD

Last edited:
Off the top of my head, there was one at Eaton Centre, one at Fairview Mall and another at Erin Mills Town Centre. The Eaton outlet was on Level B2, right where the escalators were (I think about where the Disney Store is now).

AoD
Yes it was replaced by sunrise records. I remember that. Don't know what it is now as I avoid TEC.

Back