News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 709     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Brockton

I don't mind the wires...some streetscapes in suburban areas look sterile without them since I'm so used to seeing them.

great shots, BrianHawkins1. Some of these are looking eeriely familiar to a tour a did a few weeks ago! Great area, for sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always assumed Brockton is west of Dufferin along Dundas West. In my mind, the majority of what you've captured here is Little Portugal with some northern fringes of Trinity-Bellwoods. Brockton streets look very similar to these, however, and if cleaned up a bit (it's decidely more grungy without the young/hip vibe) it's got the goods to be the "next big thing" in terms of Toronto neighbourhoods.

About the Euro thing, this area really reminds me of my Grandma's hood back in central Warsaw (Saska Kempa, for those familiar with the city) - especially that little pocket around Mackenzie and Lisgar.

Oh the Matador. I may have had a few good times there if I could remember.

seaqueue:

"Some of these are looking eeriely familiar to a tour a did a few weeks ago!"

Check it out:

seaqueue's shot...
hood1347xm.jpg

mine...
DSCF1743.jpg

seaqueue's...
brick176gi.jpg

mine...
DSCF1804.jpg

Ha! Great eye, seaqueue! Exquisite, really.

"I always assumed Brockton is west of Dufferin along Dundas West. In my mind, the majority of what you've captured here is Little Portugal with some northern fringes of Trinity-Bellwoods."

I'm sure you're right - don't really know exactly where the tightly guarded borders are between these quite small 'hoods. I probably should have named this thread, "Brockton et ses environs" or something. Is there an 'official' delineation of these areas? Anyone know? Or is it similar to The Annex: ask twenty people where is starts and stops and receive twenty different answers?

"Brockton streets look very similar to these, however, and if cleaned up a bit (it's decidely more grungy without the young/hip vibe) it's got the goods to be the "next big thing" in terms of Toronto neighbourhoods."

Seems almost inevitable - I'd be surprised if it didn't happen soon.

scarberiankhatru:

"I don't mind the wires...some streetscapes in suburban areas look sterile without them since I'm so used to seeing them."

I rarely seek to avoid them in photos, and frequently deliberately include them - I find that they evoke a more authentically Toronto-y look and feel. Like it or not, the spider-web-ish wire canopy that covers much of the old city is something of a signature look for us. Sometimes I find myself hoping that they're never buried - trying to picture, for example, Queen west of Bathurst without them is a bit tricky for me. But then I walk down Dundas through The Junction and realize that's probably a bunch of bullshit, kind of like those New Yorkers who didn't want Giuliani to scrub off the graffiti and pick up the trash.

Also, thanks for all the kind words, people.

The overhead wires are an "authentic" part of the central city. For myself, that doesn't mean I need to like them. When the big revamp of the Junction neighbourhood was completed two or three years ago, the wires were put underground and this is a big part of the reason this neighbourhood now looks so much better. I don't think it has lost its slightly grungy character, I just think it looks more appealing.

Good pictures Brian! Thank you.

This is one wicked shot.....I may have to steal the angle one day. :)
Great job all around.

DSCF1792.jpg

Back