News   Apr 26, 2024
 707     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Brockton

B

BrianHawkins1

Ed's wish is my command.

Don't think I've seen many photos here of this part of town. Taken this week...

DSCF1743.jpg

DSCF1747.jpg

DSCF1751.jpg

DSCF1752.jpg

DSCF1755.jpg

DSCF1760.jpg

DSCF1763.jpg

DSCF1767.jpg

DSCF1768.jpg

DSCF1771.jpg

DSCF1775.jpg

DSCF1780.jpg

DSCF1782.jpg

DSCF1787.jpg

DSCF1791.jpg

DSCF1792.jpg

DSCF1802.jpg

DSCF1804.jpg

DSCF1806.jpg

DSCF1807.jpg

DSCF1810.jpg

DSCF1814.jpg

DSCF1816.jpg

DSCF1818.jpg

DSCF1820.jpg

DSCF1823.jpg

DSCF1830.jpg

DSCF1832.jpg

DSCF1834.jpg

I'm seriously amazed at how European this neighbourhood looks. Smart cars, streetcars (or do you call them 'trams'), narrow streets, old brick houses built close together, old brick churches.... If you would have said these were taken in Euope I would have believed that, except for that pic of the skyline in the distance.

Great pics. Mind if I save a few for daily banner images?

Neato.

I love the view of Toronto's skyline that you get on Dundas west of Ossington. Whenever I ride that streetcar westbound, I just sit in the back and enjoy that view.

Fantastic images! Toronto can be a very ugly city at times, but also a very beautiful one.

Ronald: I agree...if not perhaps for the @&$&$@& hydro wires. Most of inner-city Toronto outside of downtown looks a lot like this. Oddly enough, I certainly don't think "European" is an adjective that many, if any, Torontonians would apply to their city, even though I've had many visitors--from both the USA and Europe--say they thought the city had a Euro feel to it.

But anyway, some great shots of an interesting and underexposed part of town. I absolutely love Dundas West--it's a really an extremely urban street, and one that has, for better or worse, largely held off the gentrification that has totally transformed the comparable stretches of King, Queen, and Bloor. Despite a few shabby-chic bars, it's still mostly the old Azorean and Portuguese businesses, and I think that counts for something.

billy:

Sure, go ahead.

"Toronto can be a very ugly city at times, but also a very beautiful one."

That about sums it up.

Oddly enough, I certainly don't think "European" is an adjective that many, if any, Torontonians would apply to their city, even though I've had many visitors--from both the USA and Europe--say they thought the city had a Euro feel to it.
I think that's because they don't want to be called "a town that kind of looks like Europe". I can imagine Torontonians are proud of their city (I would be ;) ) and think that their city has its own identity, rather than being called another euro-looking town.
Ohw and btw, those wires do spoil the view on some streets. Is it impossible to build powerlines underground due to the extreme cold in the winter?

"Ohw and btw, those wires do spoil the view on some streets. Is it impossible to build powerlines underground due to the extreme cold in the winter?"

Pretty much all new areas have underground wiring. Honestly I dont know why some of the older neighbourhoods have all overground but this is true for most of the older spots in North America.

i think it's the norm in most of north america. the difference is that toronto has overhead wires on commercial streets; most cities only have them on residential streets.

The exceptions being Boston, Manhattan, and most of central Montreal.

The wires are also apparently the norm in Japan and Australia.

They got wires in France, Spain, and other southern-European countries aswell. I think they also got them in the east, but I haven't been there so I'm not sure.

Back