News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 610     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 295     0 

Brick and cobblestone streets in Toronto

It must just be an aesthetic thing. I've also noticed that on some streets (especially down in the Sherbourne/Front area), they've left a row of the existing bricks uncovered, and as the road conditions are pretty terrible down there, you're able to see more bricks slowly become uncovered.

You can add the recently completed Percy Street to the list of brick-paved streets. There are definitely some more, and I recall the previous thread as well. If any come to mind, I'll post them here.

I was thinking about Percy Street, but it seems like a very small length of modern paving, so I'm hesitant to include it. I haven't seen it in person, but I think that only the stretch in front of the modern townhouses has those modern pavers.

If you discover some more streets paved with stone or brick, definitely post them here, as one comprehensive list would be quite interesting and useful. I spent some time searching UT and didn't come across a similar thread. I discovered one of the streets on the list by searching UT and I was also reminded of a couple I previously noticed but whose name I forgot.

I also think that the modern practice of laying a row of bricks (formerly three rows) along the sides of certain streets is for aesthetic purposes only. Otherwise, the practice would be extended to all parts of the city. While compiling the list, I also considered the possibility that the bricks are meant indicate that the street was once paved with bricks, establishing a historical link. However, there seem to be quite a few such streets today with rows of bricks by the curb, which casts doubt on that theory.

It's the same with the granite block paving Spoonman mentions on the north sidewalk of Hoskin, which is also seen along Queen Street at Nathan Phillips Square and a few other places. That was most likely a modern beatification scheme and something meant to evoke the historical nature of the area. It also seems that there was little experience and know-how in terms of those who planned the granite block surface on Hoskin and those laying the stones; the gaps between stones are large, and the surface has become very uneven. However, what's interesting is that a history of stone paving can't be ruled out until archival evidence is found.

...Which brings me to some interesting evidence I found of historic stone paving in Toronto. These photos show The Esplanade being paved with stone blocks in 1905:

It's still visible in this 1959 photo of Scott Street and The Esplanade:

I'll be adding streets formerly paved with brick or stone to the list/map soon as well.

Last edited:
The streets in my area are made of spray paint and irregular asphalt patches. Kind of like a contemporary cobble stone.

The Charioteer has a very interesting post (with a map of various types of street) at http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?11018-Evocative-Images-of-Lost-Toronto&p=485590#post485590

I very thankful for thecharioteer posting that map. I think it'll prove a great resource. It's research that's fascinating and insightful (direct link).

It's hard to believe that so many streets were paved with wood blocks. I can't imagine that kind of surface being durable at all. Here's a page that explains its history and shows some out-of-the-way Chicago examples which seemed to survive only by coincident. I also like how the traditional brick roads on my list do in fact correspond with the map, with May Street or Carlton Street in Cabbagetown.

Also note: Yonge Street paved with stone, from King to the Esplanade. A small stretch of Front also had stone paving. It's stone that was perhaps the grandest paving material, and what I love discovering in Toronto's past, even if there wasn't much of it. I think it alters perceptions of Toronto's history. Toronto isn't thought of by many as a city of stone-paved streets in its history, or anything beyond dirt and gravel. Too many people assume that this city was very provincial, with muddy streets everywhere. That was true to an extent, but shouldn't be exaggerated. The diversity of paving material on the streets of Toronto in 1908 suggests a city experimenting with different forms, with a sense of beauty and ambition amidst the practical concerns of achieving better roads for vehicles.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned King's College Road, in my mind one of the nicest landscaping jobs carried out in recent times in this city. Also around campus, is it worth mentioning the hybrid paving of St. George St.?

And I don't know if it counts since it's essentially a driveway, but it does have a City of Toronto street sign on it so I think Sirman Lane (running between Jarvis and Mutual, through the middle of Radio City) is eligible for your list of brick streets.

whatever said:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned King's College Road, in my mind one of the nicest landscaping jobs carried out in recent times in this city. Also around campus, is it worth mentioning the hybrid paving of St. George St.?

And I don't know if it counts since it's essentially a driveway, but it does have a City of Toronto street sign on it so I think Sirman Lane (running between Jarvis and Mutual, through the middle of Radio City) is eligible for your list of brick streets.

Though it's a short stretch, King's College Road with its granite and pavers represents perhaps the most sophisticated paving to be seen in Toronto right now, so that's a good suggestion. I'll definitely add it in the next few days. St. George has a small stretch of pavers in front of Sidney Smith as well as pedestrian crossings, but for modern paving, the length is an issue, and unlike King's College Road, the quality doesn't make up for it. Not that it isn't great, it just isn't noteworthy enough for the list.

On the scale of a lane, Sirman Lane is a good example, because it's at least completely paved with modern brick, even if it is a short stretch. It's private property, but still very functional and public, breaking up a block, containing a drive up to the condo tower, and featuring some quality public sculpture. I appreciate the suggestion and will also be adding it to the list.

Would the Distillery District arteries still technically count as "streets"?

I think so, which is why they're on the list. Even if they're private property (which I'm not sure of), they function as real pedestrian streets and are a delight for anyone who likes brick streets.

I recall some cobblestone streets in lower Forest Hill, south of Eglinton, north of St. Clair east of Bathurst.

According to my information there are no more cobblestone streets in Toronto.
I agree with nfitz
Very simple answer in a humours way :)

King's College Road is in fact a remarkable arrangement of cobblestones, modern pavers, and rich dark granite slabs. I doubt that any streets in Toronto are currently fully paved with stone blocks, though they're probably still there in places, buried under asphalt.

...which is why it's on the list as the first entry and on the map. May Street is an excellent street with its traditional brick surface and a lot of unique houses. I prefer a greater range of tones in a traditional brick surface like on Halford Avenue, but at least on Street View, May Street looks quite well maintained.

I wonder how it was decided which brick streets to save? The map suggests that they tend to be obscure residential side streets. It was probably the lobbying of people who live on the street, though that doesn't explain the likes of Pine Crescent, paved with modern pavers.

I recall some cobblestone streets in lower Forest Hill, south of Eglinton, north of St. Clair east of Bathurst.

Thanks for the tip, dt_toronto_geek! I found a relatively long stretch of Glenayr Road to be paved with traditional bricks, as well as a stretch of the same road paved with modern bricks with similar tones to the more traditional brick surface. Hence, the list and map have two new entries that are worth checking out. (The newest entries are on the bottom of the list.)

Also interesting is Peregrine Way (link), a lane which seems to be private but looks public on Street View. It's paved with rounded pavers arranged in a grid and for some reason has a sidewalk paved with the same material. I'm not sure whether to add it since it's probably private and only leads to a couple of mansions, though I've never seen it in person.

Visited the Toronto Islands on friday and couldn't help noticing Nottawa Street and other surrounding paths had bricks. Looked great, and not due to the fact they are pedestrian streets should they not be considered streets at all. Obviously street view would be a problem.

I took a couple of pictures. Will post them here later this week.

Back