News   Aug 23, 2024
 586     0 

Brampton Transit/Zum

Service changes announced today.

From the above:

1721067592904.png

1721067616933.png

1721067642158.png

Nothing miraculous to be sure, but its relatively rare for GTA transit properties to materially improve service mid-summer, so I'll happily take a modest number of decent improvements, and hope for more come September.

From the above:

View attachment 580629
View attachment 580630
View attachment 580631

Nothing miraculous to be sure, but its relatively rare for GTA transit properties to materially improve service mid-summer, so I'll happily take a modest number of decent improvements, and hope for more come September.

Yep. BT’s issue was having enough operators and buses, rather than having enough money to meet demand. It’s nice to see them implementing improvements as soon as they’re able to do so.

Yep. BT’s issue was having enough operators and buses, rather than having enough money to meet demand. It’s nice to see them implementing improvements as soon as they’re able to do so.
I am awaiting the big change in September, which should see a wide range of routes experience significant improvement. The June change was weighed down by the need to train 50 extra operators to cover the spare board, due to elevated absenteeism compared to before the pandemic. As that should be fully staffed up by now, the September change should be even larger.

I am awaiting the big change in September, which should see a wide range of routes experience significant improvement. The June change was weighed down by the need to train 50 extra operators to cover the spare board, due to elevated absenteeism compared to before the pandemic. As that should be fully staffed up by now, the September change should be even larger.
I can't wait to see what the September service change brings. I don't travel on transit at all unless I'm going to Toronto, but new information is always welcome.

September service changes are up.

501 goes to 5 minute service in the peak direction (AM eastbound, PM westbound).

561 peak service improved to every 15 from every 20 minutes, midday weekday service restored (every 20).

Some frequency improvements to Routes 8, 12, 14, 16, 51 (with new Sunday service), 52, 54, plus resumption of school routes and the 199.

So nothing amazing, just some solid improvements and pre-2020 restorations. It doesn’t help BT’s messaging though when improvements are just called “adjustments.” Adjustments are when you change a schedule slightly for running times or to improve transfer timings.

September service changes are up.

501 goes to 5 minute service in the peak direction (AM eastbound, PM westbound).

561 peak service improved to every 15 from every 20 minutes, midday weekday service restored (every 20).

Some frequency improvements to Routes 8, 12, 14, 16, 51 (with new Sunday service), 52, 54, plus resumption of school routes and the 199.

So nothing amazing, just some solid improvements and pre-2020 restorations. It doesn’t help BT’s messaging though when improvements are just called “adjustments.” Adjustments are when you change a schedule slightly for running times or to improve transfer timings.

I have to admit on the face it doesn't look like all that much. Don't be deceived however, Brampton is rolling out a huge service hour increase as far as weekday service goes. The weekend increases are not exactly huge, but not exactly the biggest deal as the July changes were huge for Saturday and Sunday service. April 29th also brought a good increase for Saturday service.

In terms of additional vehicle hours as compared to the July board period:
  • Weekday - 238.7 daily hours - 60,152.4 annual hours
  • Saturday - 41 daily hours - 2,132 annual hours
  • Sunday - 41.67 daily hours - 2,166.84 annual hours
The route 501 increase accounts for almost a third of the weekday hours added.

I've attached a data of vehicle and revenue hour changes over the cost of the last year, as well as from the last board period before pandemic era cuts took effect. Mississauga is included for comparison. Keen eyes will notice Brampton now provides more revenue service hours on Weekdays and Sundays than Mississauga. A sad state of transit affairs lies to the south of Brampton and in my view only strengthens the case for Peel Region Transit.

Mississauga - Brampton Service Hour Analysis
Mississauga - Brampton Service Summary - Vehicle Blocks

Glad to see they've added school extras for the #4. Though, what I question is, are we referring to students from the elementary / secondary schools these buses serve, or does Sheridan College account for this too? What's concerning is the time period around 6PM around Chinguacousy / Steeles. A family member lamented having to wait for 4 full articulated buses to pass before they were able to finally board and hop on their northbound bus to go home. I really do hope these service improvements help alleviate these concerns.

I was hoping for more substantial changes, such as more 505A trips, better service on the 41 Bolton, and resumption of the 185. There’s still some serious crowding on the 4, 14, and 18.

I’m not complaining, though, as it’s obvious that BT is doing what it can to meet demand. 5 minute service is unheard of outside of Toronto itself.

Glad to see they've added school extras for the #4. Though, what I question is, are we referring to students from the elementary / secondary schools these buses serve, or does Sheridan College account for this too? What's concerning is the time period around 6PM around Chinguacousy / Steeles. A family member lamented having to wait for 4 full articulated buses to pass before they were able to finally board and hop on their northbound bus to go home. I really do hope these service improvements help alleviate these concerns.
I haven't gone through all of the routes with extra trips added yet, but on the 4 it amounts to a single extra trip to serve high school students. I suspect many of the extras are in fact just an extra or two to serve high school students.

I was hoping for more substantial changes, such as more 505A trips, better service on the 41 Bolton, and resumption of the 185. There’s still some serious crowding on the 4, 14, and 18.

They really need to do something about the 505/505A. It’s been a whole decade overall and they still haven’t made this line into the true capable route it could be. Give it 60ft buses, 7.5 minute combined schedule during peak/10-12 mins off peak, and late evening service until 12-1am like the rest of the Zum routes and you’ll see how much relief there will be on the network.

I do believe most of the north-south core routes in Brampton are the way they are because of a lack of a consistent service in North Brampton. It helps that the 505 is a one seat route that connects to a lot of major key points such as Mount Pleasant, Trinity Common, Malton GO, and Viscount/Pearson while also connecting to literally every other Zum route in the network, including the upcoming Chinguacousy one. It shouldn’t make sense but you have this route that does it all without them giving it all it deserves.

Back