News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 672     0 

Brampton Transit/Zum

Zum has shared some pictures of its new Main Street stations on Facebook, and some of them are black instead of steel gray.

Their response:
Six of the Züm station stops on our Main Street line are located in the heritage section of downtown Brampton. As a result, the design of these station stops (at Vodden, Wellington and Theatre Lane/Nel...son) have been altered to more closely match their surroundings.

That's nice. Brampton is in the process of designating the south downtown residential area (mostly along Main) as a Heritage Conservation District, good to see increased heritage awareness in the suburbs.

Had a look at parts of the Main Zum today. The black station/stops at Vodden look cool....enough like the regular stops so that you know you are on the same system but different enough to be cool. The only thing I would have done differently is that I would have made the whole Main line look like that (then maybe picked a third colour for Steeles and a fourth colour for Bovaird.

Sandalwood will be an interesting thing. Since the stop is north of Sandalwood and the loop is to (looks like it might just be a light controlled bus u-turn type of thing) it looks like there might only be a stop on the east (northbound) side of the street...or they might not have started work on the southbound stop yet.

Personally, I don't like the loop idea and would have preferred the bus go east on Sandalwood the the Heart Lake Terminal.....serving the Heart Lake area (including the controversial new development there) and a public library and a shoppinga area and a couple of rec facilities and connecting Zum to a couple of more bus routes.

That, however, is a minor complaint.

I wish Mississauga was doing something like this. Yes we have our Mississauga BRT but how useful is it going to be? If I were to take public transit it wouldn't affect me at all since my closest bus is the 38 and there's no BRT stop at Creditview anymore (it was cut) and even if it were, I doubt they'd've rerouted the 38 to Square One. The only good thing about the BRT might be getting people to Kipling faster. Although I guess we'll see.

^^ Same thing applies to those who live west of Main (aka someone who lives at Chinguacousy, McLaughlin, etc. who won't benefit in Phase 1 anyway). Someone who lives in those areas will wish that Brampton will do something that they do east of Main. You happen to live on a corridor that its only future rapid transit connection will be at Dundas, instead of the 403.

I think the 403 BRT's purpose is to provide node-to-node express service, unlike Dundas, Hurontario, and Zum, which will serve the entire corridor. So basically, it will benefit those who go from Clarkson (or UTM) to Malton (or Airport), from Meadowvale (or Erin Mills Town Centre) to Kipling, from Hamilton to York U, etc., which resembles GO trains in all directions going to/from Union, but in this case, buses going in all directions to/from Square One.

It's just relative.

Last edited:
WOW WOW WOW!

Brampton is really devoted for express services, no wonder why Zum is a big hit for riders so far! And the 502 ends a little earlier than that of 501, at the end of the so-called "core hours", maybe because Brampton is starting to feel a little bit of pinch.

And a little funny that Mississauga website uses optimistic frequencies (19 and 24), while the Brampton website uses the more pessimistic ones for Mississauga (20 and 25). 19 will go up even more to 5 minutes all day! Really surprised about that. A new 19C branch would be awesome, which would mean 12-minute Boxing Day service for Heartland.

Last edited:
I am not too surprised to see the 502 call it a night earlier on, the original route 2 will continue after that. The only lousy part will be the 407-SWB gap; it would be nice to see the 19 go straight up to Shoppers World after 10PM so late evening riders aren't dumped in an empty parking lot. Alternatively, BT could run Zum buses local after 10 and end the 2 instead at that time. At least the 2 returns to Shoppers.

I could see BT beefing up service if demand warrants; it's aleady going to provide midday and evening 501A service.

MT has been disappointing on its end. It can't even bother with clockface schedules to try for coordinated service.

Last edited:
MT has been disappointing on its end. It can't even bother with clockface schedules to try for coordinated service.

Most likely that this "partnership" is actually "every man for himself". 502 will coordinate with 2 Mondays to Fridays (for a combined 10-minute midday service), and 103 will coordinate with 19 Saturdays (for a combined 12-minute service).

Hopefully this LRT gets built soon so we can stop worrying about all these different random buses on this corridor.

Hopefully this LRT gets built soon so we can stop worrying about all these different random buses on this corridor.

You may see it by 2025 with luck and a long cry from when I want to see it.

Here's what's happening according to updates to BT's online eRide schedules.
Disappointments:
- No new route 56 on Sept 6. I'm hoping this is delayed because of construction only.
- Route 23 seeing no improvements
- Route 25 remains. This screws the 9 somewhat (see below).
- BT is pulling Mississauga stunts and deviating from clockface schedules. Route 12 is extended and goes from 30 to 35 minute off-peak service. 12 isn't a major route, but still. The 9, with the Bramalea extension, goes to 50 minute off-peak from 45. I thought that the consolidation with the 25 would make up the difference. But at least the airport route has a cleaned up, consistent weekday schedule.

- The 101 is renumbered as the 115. Makes some sense but unnecessary.

- The improvements/changes for routes 501A, 7/A, 11/A, 18/A, 51, splits of 22 and 53 are as advertised. 11 gets some off-peak improvements too (going to 12 from 15 midday, evening shoulder improvements)

So this, on the whole is good, I am left disappointed by some details.

Last edited:
I already saw this happening. With their posted schedule on the 502, normally Zum terminates at 1 AM, but ended service 3 hours earlier instead.

And Vodden, being one of the straight east-west routes, will be getting 50 minute off-peak service? That would suck so bad as Vodden is a residential route, not an industrial one. That would also imply that the residents served by 25 will not get off-peak (and weekend) service.

Looks like 11's frequency will be alternating 3 and 6 minutes during rush hours, which makes it even more frequent than 19 itself. (But 19 has 2 overlapping express services)

And 501 is also alternating between 7.5 and 15 during midday. Not consistent, but what can you do about it?

Also, I am thinking how passengers react about that sudden change in frequency in 11 during the evening from 3 minutes down to just 30 minutes within half an hour.

Last edited:
I never understand why the Bramalea bus does not go all the way to Mayfield and then turn around in, either, the parking lot of the school or the parking lot of the adjacant rec centre?

I know there is not much (yet) in between Father Tobin and Mayfield but the distance is not great and the school and the rec centre themselves would drive some ridership....particularly as, roughly, half the kids in the school come from outside the school district to be part of the regional arts programs.......all those east west routes that intersect with the Bramalea bus could just feed onto it with kids making one transfer comutes to school.

I totally agree that the 15 should enter Mayfield SS. I believe I asked about that and was told that Caledon has to agree to it. Since the school specials are contracted by the boards, they are different story. It took forever for the Airport Road bus to serve the industry north of Mayfield even though the company wanted it. Caledon had to agree to it.

It looks like the construction of the new Shoppers terminal starts this Monday, finally.

Back