News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Bloor Street Market (formerly Manulife ValuMart)

Yep, from one (vertical) suburb to another. Parking is free is you spend money at WF.

I'd probably go to Longo's, and for cheaper food, maybe twice a month go to that No Frills on Sherbourne--it's not that far, I walk further weekly to get my groceries in High Park area. Just checked on google maps--it's less than 1km from Casa to No Frills--I'm jealous.:)

I'm a good 3 mins from No Frills and it's great. Although, I've noticed prices going up a bit.

I think out of all the stores....Sobey's is the worst...might as well go to Rabba's.

Have you tried to walk 8 blocks with 8-10 grocery bags? I have, and it hurts like hell. And I'm no pencil-neck. Grocery shopping is the only activity that I don't mind people driving to every time.

Maybe it's an argument against buying 8-10 bags of groceries in one swoop--esp. given that Whole Foods isn't the kind of place which has giant storewide sales, etc...

Maybe it's an argument against buying 8-10 bags of groceries in one swoop--esp. given that Whole Foods isn't the kind of place which has giant storewide sales, etc...
According to my parents' generation, there was no argument against buying tons of groceries in one swoop. I won't say what they called people who came home with only one or two items.

Maybe it's more a North American vs European thing, i.e. buying for the week vs buying for the day. (At least that's the way I am with stuff like bread which tends to go blah after a day or so.)

I buy for the decade. I can't quit stocking up on those Lobalws PC brand soups, at their Quay store down by Corus. They're $1.25 a can, on sale, and I've got dozens of them now in my basement! Lentil, Spicy Black Bean and some other damn thing.

I'm really going to miss it when the No Frills at Sherbourne & Isabella closes. Hopefully the Real Canadian Superstore at MLG has some similar offerings and decent prices on the basics.

I am shocked that US doesn't know how to cook! Making soup from scratch is easy....I do it weekly! Stores well in the freezer. About once a month I chop up and freeze a huge bag full of chopped onions, garlic, red peppers and just add them to my soup base--takes me maybe 5 minutes to make a good soup (obviously an hour to simmer on the stove top.)

Last edited:
I am shocked that US doesn't know how to cook! Making soup from scratch is easy....I do it weekly! Stores well in the freezer. About once a month I chop up and freeze a huge bag full of chopped onions, garlic, red peppers and just add them to my soup base--takes me maybe 5 minutes to make a good soup (obviously an hour to simmer on the stove top.)

I do that too, when there's time ( which there hasn't been much of lately ). But I can't store much home-made anything in my freezer right now because I've got 31 bags of topped-and-tailed gooseberries that I recently picked from my garden in there. Enough desserts to see me through until this time next year since each bag makes four servings ( nice with custard, yogurt or ice cream ... ) when cooked up.

I do a good leek/carrot/potato soup.

Back