News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Bloor Street Market (formerly Manulife ValuMart)

buildup

Member Bio
Reaction score
I overheard someone saying the IGA, finally, will be upgraded. About time. And expanded hopefully as well. I calculate there are about 450 floors of NEW condos coming in within 1-2 blocks and they will get the traffic. The buildings are:

4 seasons (2 buildings)
1 Bloor East
Casa
Bloorwalk
Crystal Blue
Uptown
U condos (2 buildings)
77 Charles
The St Thomas

I overheard someone saying the IGA, finally, will be upgraded. About time. And expanded hopefully as well. I calculate there are about 450 floors of NEW condos coming in within 1-2 blocks and they will get the traffic. The buildings are:

4 seasons (2 buildings)
1 Bloor East
Casa
Bloorwalk
Crystal Blue
Uptown
U condos (2 buildings)
77 Charles
The St Thomas

Do you mean to say ValuMart?

If so, I really hope they upgrade it too. Though it'll be difficult for them to work with such an odd-shaped space.

Speaking of Manulife, anyone have any idea what is going on with the old Quasi Quasi space?

sorry - yes ValueMart. I'm going to guess they could take out those 2 small retail spots just outside the cashiers, perhaps one is a dental place and expand into the entire corridor.

Which grocery store has more "painful" (meaning ripoff) pricing--valu mart or Longo's? That new Longo's may take all the customers from Casa, 1 Bloor, BSN. I'd probably be too lazy to cross Yonge St if I lived there.

Or they could do all their shopping at the dozens of Rabba stores throughout the neighbourhood haha

I rather like the new Longo's, small enough to get through quick, but yummy fresh made pizza, with good ingredients for something like $5.

That said, for expensive, compare w/Puseteri's around the corner.

But I don't mind them to much either.

On the point of this thread, I can't believe Manulife have tolerated Valumart that long, its the real drag on the complex.

The whole 'Value Mart' chain makes no sense, but that's another matter.

(Loblaws, its owner, already has a discounter - No Frills, and mid-range Loblaws).

I always thought it should follow the St. Clair Market look, as a tiny, gourmet'ish, urban, Loblaws showpiece.

Finally to my knowledge we have no seen the retail for new version of 1 Bloor.

But keep in mind an anchor tenant for the last version was METRO (the grocer).

... The whole 'Value Mart' chain makes no sense, but that's another matter.

(Loblaws, its owner, already has a discounter - No Frills, and mid-range Loblaws).

I always thought it should follow the St. Clair Market look, as a tiny, gourmet'ish, urban, Loblaws showpiece.

ValuMart are independently owned franchised stores. Some of them, including one located very close to me, originated years ago as "Mr. Grocer" after Dominion had unloaded some of its smaller locations. But they are intended as supermarkets, with full service and full lines of grocery products (although smallish), not tiny gourmet outlets. That's a different market segment entirely.

Is Valumart gone?

I was in the Manulife building this afternoon and no valumart....it's all been walled in, and there is no signage explaining what's happening. Anyone know? Are they just renovating or is it gone for good? With the number of apartments and condos in the immediate area it seems silly for their not to be a full service supermarket nearby. I love Rabba, but there are some items you just can't get there, or that costs twice as much as they would in a traditional supermarket.

ValuMart is closed until August for renovations. Not sure why they haven't put up any advertising regarding the temporary closure.

There were signs throughout the store before they closed (very shortly before), advising customers of the renovation/closing, but it's odd that there's nothing outside. Now I have to haul my carcass up to St Clair for all my President's Choice needs.

Yes I noticed that the bare drywall is now adorned with President's Choice and Bloor Market info. From the sounds of it though, Valumart is history there. Bloor Market sounds like it's going to be like St. Clair Market, and there certainly are a lot of plusses to that, but I will miss some of Valumart's products (and some of the staff).

What products will you miss? If it's still associated with PC, then it's still all part of the same company (Loblaw) and will have all the same product lines.

Yes I noticed that the bare drywall is now adorned with President's Choice and Bloor Market info. From the sounds of it though, Valumart is history there. Bloor Market sounds like it's going to be like St. Clair Market, and there certainly are a lot of plusses to that, but I will miss some of Valumart's products (and some of the staff).

Indeed, it's a wonder that Loblaw hasn't instilled more of that "St Clair Market" concept--maybe because due to location (next door to Weston HQ) , St Clair Market was always a bit of a taken-for-granted-from-within wank...

Back