News   Jul 24, 2024
 332     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 310     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 835     0 

Bloor Station - New Crowd Control Measures

That is an enough time for exercise while commuting along Bloor/Danforth.

Seriously, whats with TTC nowadays? Years behind in upgrading infrastructure, it is ironic that they emphasize heavily on safety when they don't even have a friggin' PSD! Human lives shouldn't be compromized to increase safety awareness.

TTC. Take the car. Ride the burial way.

Last edited:
In the early 1980s, the TTC ran ads in all subway trains encouraging passengers to transfer at St. George if their destination on Yonge was Dundas, Queen, or King.

When the integrated 3-route system ran in the 60s, 65% of BD passengers from the east-end used the Bloor-University wye (via Bay Lower) to get downtown for a direct transfer-free ride. And, a staggering 85% of BD passengers from the west-end used the wye to get downtown on an all-day basis. As a result, transfer movements at Bloor-Yonge were very light.

The problem at Bloor-Yonge today stems from the TTC's refusal to operate the wye as the system designer originally intended. By connecting the Spadina subway to St. George, they effectively killed any hope of reactivating the old system in the 1980s when the signalling on the line had been automated and improved to the point where the wye could have been operated smoothly.

When the wye was closed in '66, passenger movements shifted dramatically. Those that used the wye (despite the longer trip) changed their behaviour and started changing trains at Bloor-Yonge instead of using St. George. There was no longer any incentive to take the longer ride via University. By 1969, transfers at Bloor-Yonge had DOUBLED from 1966 levels. The TTC refused to re-test the system with additional dispatching equipment along the line (to regulate train arrivals at the junction points).

In the early 1980s, the TTC ran ads in all subway trains encouraging passengers to transfer at St. George if their destination on Yonge was Dundas, Queen, or King.

When the integrated 3-route system ran in the 60s, 65% of BD passengers from the east-end used the Bloor-University wye (via Bay Lower) to get downtown for a direct transfer-free ride. And, a staggering 85% of BD passengers from the west-end used the wye to get downtown on an all-day basis. As a result, transfer movements at Bloor-Yonge were very light.

The problem at Bloor-Yonge today stems from the TTC's refusal to operate the wye as the system designer originally intended. By connecting the Spadina subway to St. George, they effectively killed any hope of reactivating the old system in the 1980s when the signalling on the line had been automated and improved to the point where the wye could have been operated smoothly.

When the wye was closed in '66, passenger movements shifted dramatically. Those that used the wye (despite the longer trip) changed their behaviour and started changing trains at Bloor-Yonge instead of using St. George. There was no longer any incentive to take the longer ride via University. By 1969, transfers at Bloor-Yonge had DOUBLED from 1966 levels. The TTC refused to re-test the system with additional dispatching equipment along the line (to regulate train arrivals at the junction points).

Shame that. There was brief discussion of decoupling the Spadina line from the University line and continuting is South along Spadina then East along some street (Dundas was mentioned at the time) to connect with the Yonge line. I wonder if that would be feasable. You'd have to go below the B-D tracks, I don't think there is enough space available to build the grade to do that.

Yes -- that was my idea, and I submitted it to Metrolinx. My idea was to replace the Spadina streetcar with a southerly extension of the Spadina subway and have it terminate at Union Stn. The Spadina subway would then operate as a completely independent line. Then, Yonge-University and Bloor-Danforth would interline just rush-hours only, and operate as separate routes (Finch-St. George, Kipling-Kennedy) at all other times.

My other proposal was to divert the AM St. Clair W. short turns to Bay Lower and install a crossover there. Bay Lower would be open during morning rush hours only to alleviate Bloor-Yonge overcrowding until a proper DRL can be built.

I thought these were both good ideas.

Why not make use of Lower Bay station by sending half the trains down that route and transfer onto Yonge train there where half of those would divert there as well.

Why not make use of Lower Bay station by sending half the trains down that route and transfer onto Yonge train there where half of those would divert there as well.

From what I understand, Lower Bay and interlining were kiboshed because any delays on one line screwed up the entire system. In London, there have been plans to get rid of the circle line for similar reasons.

Nope -- it was mothballed because the TTC wanted a simpler system.

If you've got any links to sources, by all means share them!

This is what James Bow at Transit Toronto has to say:

At the outset, the integrated system was introduced on a trial basis for six months in order to obtain operating experience on which to base decisions for future operations.... During the six month test period, however, several serious disadvantages became apparent. There were unavoidable slowdowns at the wye junction and although these had been reduced significantly by the end of the test period they could not be completely eliminated. Also, with the service on both lines fully integrated, a breakdown or a delay on one route frequently affected the service on the whole system. The abnormally high cost of operating integrated service because of the unbalanced volume of riding on the two lines also was of major concern.

Source: http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5117.shtml

If they were a way they could at least use that Station to relieve the Bloor/Yonge transfer whilst keeping the trains on 2 separate lines.

Go visit the Toronto Archives and pull up all the TTC meeting minutes from 1966 and 1967. Stacks of reports as well. Also, talk to Steve Munro. He and I were both there. The TTC purposely scheduled the system so that it would fail. It was complex to manage and they simply could not be bothered with it. They could still use the platform today and stub/terminate some trains there in the AM peak that would otherwise short turn at St. Clair W. (not a true interline of course), but it could help Bloor-Yonge. Passengers would board a completely empty train at Bay ... the downside? ... a longer ride of course. But if you have to let 3 or 4 Yonge trains pass at Bloor-Yonge, it's probably worth it.

Maybe during rush hour they could have a looping train for the Yonge Line that would go from Lower Bay to Union, and back up the University Line to Lower Bay again.

Also to not have to impact the Already existing service on the Yonge Line by throwing this looping in to encourage people to avoid Bloor/Yonge station.

So this was supposed to start today.

I didn't take the subway this morning. Did anyone see what they were doing and if it was working?

I was there just before the rush (about 0710) - kind of pathetic, actually. Way too many workers for the task, and they're all acting a bit amateurish. and some individuals decided to go back to where they weren't supposed to be after walking by the barriers (which lasted till the last "big" pillar).

AoD

That is an enough time for exercise while commuting along Bloor/Danforth.

Seriously, whats with TTC nowadays? Years behind in upgrading infrastructure, it is ironic that they emphasize heavily on safety when they don't even have a friggin' PSD! Human lives shouldn't be compromized to increase safety awareness.

TTC. Take the car. Ride the burial way.

you wouldn't need to emphasize safety if you had PSDs
Plus, you'll need ATC before you can install PSD which will take forever for the TTC.

Back