Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Nice pic... finally its about time we see whats going on regarding the new City Centre air terminal, it actually looks larger than i expected. I guess it must of hurt the city a lot to give Porter a construction permit.:D

Nice pic... finally its about time we see whats going on regarding the new City Centre air terminal, it actually looks larger than i expected. I guess it must of hurt the city a lot to give Porter a construction permit.:D

My understanding is that federal crown-corporations don't need municipal building permits to do construction. It's some constitutional thing.

^ I doubt that's the case. Regardless, a city is compelled to issue a permit if all the legal requirements are met in the application. They can't turn down a permit just because they feel like it. As long as the developer stayed within current zoning, building codes, etc. they would get the permit. So they city probably had to hand over the permit, grumpy face and all.

It may not be the case here. It's called Interjurisdictional Immunity and I've heard it allows work in the portlands and at the airport as well as work within federal buildings in Toronto to proceed without going through typical municiapl approvals (zoning, site plan, building permit etc.).

May 24

When I was there yesterday, the first ferry had 95 get off. There was 35 on my ride with another 60+ waiting. On my return trip, 15 got off and 85 got on. When we hit the north side, another 25 waiting and this was at 3-3:30 pm.

I ended up there by chance.

I noticed a fair number of these riders live in those condo's there as they were walking to them in the west end.

Some photo's
IMG_may-24-09-0197.jpg

IMG_may-24-09-0198.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0204.JPG

Just arriving
IMG_may-24-09-0206.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0216.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0218.jpg

IMG_may-24-09-0220.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0221.JPG

Connection for new walkway to the new terminal will take place.
IMG_may-24-09-0225.JPG

>>>I noticed a fair number of these riders live in those condo's there as they were walking to them in the west end.<<<

If they are walking west after getting off the ferry, they might be walking to their cars in the airport parking area on the far side of the park, off of stadium road (I assume that parking lot is still there?).

New summer schedule starts today

Halifax leads off summer schedule today for Porter Airlines

New Thunder Bay route, return of regular Quebec City service begin
June 26

TORONTO, May 27 /CNW/ - Porter Airlines is spreading its wings for leisure travellers with seasonal flights to destinations such as Halifax and Quebec City. The summer season begins today for Porter with up to five daily flights between Halifax, Ottawa and Toronto City Centre Airport (TCCA). Special summer festivals and shows, plus year-round attractions make all of Porter's summer destinations exciting choices for passengers.

Quebec City returns as a more frequent destination, with six weekly flights to TCCA. Porter is also bringing its fresh approach to travel to Thunder Bay. The airline's newest destination takes off with up to three daily roundtrips. Service begins June 26, to both cities.

Connecting flights also open up numerous travel options within Porter's growing network. By flying through Porter's TCCA base travellers can continue on to popular destinations such as Chicago, New York and Montreal.

"At this time of year, we shift gears to accommodate more leisure travellers," said Robert Deluce, president and CEO of Porter Airlines. "Adjusting the schedule to reflect summer travel patterns helps us expand our
offerings for passengers."

TCCA's convenient downtown location provides easy access for those looking to escape the city for some time away. Those arriving in Toronto are only minutes from many of the city's most popular attractions.

Porter's summer schedule highlights include:

- Halifax-Ottawa - up to 5 daily flights
- Toronto-Halifax - up to 5 daily flights
- Thunder Bay-Toronto - up to 3 daily flights
- Quebec City-Toronto - 1 daily flight (excluding Saturday)
- Ottawa- Toronto - up to 12 daily flights
- Montreal-Toronto - up to 12 daily flights
- New York-Toronto - up to 7 daily flights
- Chicago-Toronto - up to 6 daily flights

The summer schedule runs from May 27 to Sept. 7. Detailed flight schedules are available for booking online at www.flyporter.com, by phoning 1-888-619-8622 or through travel agents.

I guess Quebec-Halifax didn't work out for them last year?

Last edited:
I've realized lately that the ferry is comfortable enough that my desire for them to build a bridge has dropped off significantly.

Particularly since any bridge would likely be a lift bridge -- I'd just as soon not have to be sitting in a cab (with the meter running) for 10 minutes waiting for the bridge to open. Or having to walk across a 400 ft bridge in bad weather -- where is there room for the cabs to line up on the island side?

Once they get the bigger ferry in place, the crowding issues will likely be significantly lessened.

Back when the bridge was being seriously discussed (and eventually approved), the obvious alternative was the old ferry and the bus shelter with the useless heater in the roof. Anything would have been better than that, especially in winter, so a bridge sounded great.

I'm flying with Porter yet again this summer - to Newark. Woot! I'm flying back via AC, because I prefer arriving by Pearson in the later hour - it's closer to my place, and was cheaper by $3 when I booked.

Porter is certainly growing on me. The ferry isn't a terrible inconvenience (and is comforable with the waiting rooms on both sides), and Q400s are quiet, especially compared to the general aviation there. It's fun sitting at HtO or Spadina Slip and watching the planes coming and going, though the fleet is a tad predictable (unlike sitting by a large airport).

Combining Flights?

Am expecting visitors from Chicago 2night.

They were supposed to be on Porter flt 390 departing MDW at 16:30 arriving YTZ @ 19:05.

So that is a flight that was supposed to leave in 3 hrs or so.

They were, literally, just contacted and advised to be at the airport to catch 388 as 390 was cancelled. 388 is scheduled to leave at 14:00. Chicago time (so less than 50 mintues from now) and arrive at YTZ at 14:41.

Magically, 388 is now delayed and they have been advised (get this) that it will arrive in Toronto "around 6".

Clearly they are combining two undersold flights and inconveniencing everyone invloved.

Guess that route is really not catching on!!!

There were apparently weather issues in Toronto today.

May 28 - Toronto weather advisory

Porter Airlines is advising passengers to confirm their flight status prior to arriving at the airport due to forecasted weather conditions. Delays and cancellations may occur.

It was very foggy in Toronto this morning.

Last edited:
There were apparently weather issues in Toronto today.

Call me a cynic but if 388 is delayed....390's passengers are told to get to airport early as they are cancelled.....but 392 (the later flight) is apparantly unaffected, this reeks of the same kind of flight combining that Air Canada used to do (may still do but I don't fly as often as I used to) on routes like Montreal and Ottawa during light traffic times.....as opposed to bad weather.

Delay an early flight.....cancel a middle flight telling people to come early...those that can't get there early, you leave the late flight to make sure you don't lose revenue (ie by letting them cancell)....so you get the same amount of revenue, you cut about a third of your expenses and the only people inconvenienced are the passengers and those that are meeting/picking them up/dropping them off.

I, obviously, cannot say this is what is happening here (very small sample size) but with all the talk about how slow the Chicago route has been to catch on and this pretty simple delay/cancellation pattern....I am making a huge leap.

The Q400 breaks even with about a third of the seats filled. Chances are if they had about 25 passengers or more they'd be making a profit (however small) so I doubt they would cancel a flight just like that.

I would look at the NAVCAN METAR/TAFs for the Island and Midway. It is entirely feasible that weather could be below minimums. The runway is small at the island so I am fairly sure no pilot would want to push his luck on that one. And diversions in the middle of the day would probably incur hefty charges at Pearson.

But if they are cancelling flights for loads that's not a good way to develop rapport with the passengers.

I'm sure it's fog. After all, the Malton airport was originally a back-up airport because of fog, improvements in navigation and instrumentation have mitigated things, but I can see it being an issue today.

The Q400 breaks even with about a third of the seats filled. Chances are if they had about 25 passengers or more they'd be making a profit (however small) so I doubt they would cancel a flight just like that.

I would look at the NAVCAN METAR/TAFs for the Island and Midway. It is entirely feasible that weather could be below minimums. The runway is small at the island so I am fairly sure no pilot would want to push his luck on that one. And diversions in the middle of the day would probably incur hefty charges at Pearson.

But if they are cancelling flights for loads that's not a good way to develop rapport with the passengers.

It just struck me as strange.....3 flights....the earlier one is a go (although late) indicating that the "current" weather is not too bad....the middle one has to be cancelled because of the weather (indicating that the weather is thought to worsen) but they know that there is no need to cancel the 3rd one?

So 2 of the 3 pilots are willing to "push their luck"?

As arte johnson used to say "very interesting".

Back