Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

^^^I find this so funny that NL posted a bit of an atomic bomb that should redirect the discussion yet the thread continues on as before! 🤪 Did theY not see it? Don’t care? Just to annoy some people I will post a few additional images from the article!

IMG_9898.jpeg

IMG_9897.jpeg
IMG_9896.jpeg

... When Porter began operations I suddenly couldn't sleep with my window open before 11pm or after 6am ...
Setting aside that I think they were being sarcastic, I'm often curious about people who live in an urban area then complain about noise (planes, trains and automobiles)... Similar to people who move to the country then complain about smells and slow moving machinery on the road.
... No doubt many of the same people would complain that getting to a distant airport is soooo inconvenient.
I have trouble sympathizing with anyone doing that kind of complaining, at least about the "regular" noises. I live very close to where the subway runs above ground, and for the most part I only remember how loud it is it on the rare occasions when I open my apartment window, and even then I can use earbuds if I'm trying to listen to something. If someone near Bloor and Christie was complaining about the noise of the IndyCar race, when I've only ever heard it after I've gotten south of King Street, how long and carefully were they waiting for the wind and atmospheric conditions to be just right to maybe think they could barely hear it? 🤪

I think the complaining about the noise of the planes is more of a knee-jerk thing left over from 50+ years ago when few people had air conditioning and spent more time with their windows open, and the planes of the time actually were louder with a higher and more screeching sound.
From what I heard from the anti-airport (YTZ) people during that executive meeting, they seemed to have now changed gears to move to on to more saying that they want it to be a park, as opposed to claiming that the noise was unbearable.

When staying at a relative's house on the edge of the GTA, there was a couple of times I had left a window partly open, and been awakened at sunrise by a loud blue jay in the tree immediately outside of it, and in the spring well before sunrise by a robin and nearby cardinal having their bird larynx measuring contest to establish territorial rights.

Last edited:
I have trouble sympathizing with anyone doing that kind of complaining, at least about the "regular" noises. I live close to where the subway runs above ground, and for the most part I only remember how loud it is it on the rare occasions when I open my apartment window, and even then I can use earbuds if I'm trying to listen to something. If someone near Bloor and Christie was complaining about the noise of the IndyCar race, when I've only ever heard it after I've gotten south of King Street, how long and carefully were they waiting for the wind and atmospheric conditions to be just right to maybe think they could barely hear it? 🤪

I think the complaining about the noise of the planes is more of a knee-jerk thing left over from 50+ years ago when few people had air conditioning and spent more time with their windows open, and the planes of the time actually were louder with a higher and more screeching sound.
From what I heard from the anti-airport (YTZ) people during that executive meeting, they seemed to have now changed gears to move to on to more saying that it should be a park as opposed to claiming that the noise was unbearable.

When staying at a relative's house on the edge of the GTA, there was a couple of times I had left a window partly open, and been awakened at sunrise by a loud blue jay in the tree immediately outside of it, and in the spring well before sunrise by a robin and nearby cardinal having their bird larynx measuring contest to establish territorial rights.

I'm going to suggest that the noise issue is a subjective one..............though I don't feel like 'trouble sympathizing' is a particularly good take when someone's experience is that they have real difficulty sleeping, and enough such that they end up moving.

It should be possible to sympathize w/that issue, while also saying that that may, in your judgement, be insufficient reason to oppose the airport.

I would now ask everyone to move on from the noise issue............. I posted two significant news links...........one very germane to the current matter before Council, the other more aspirational if no less interesting.

Can I ask people to please follow those links and contribute to the discussion accordingly. I think that's better that endless relitigation of "But I like, but I don't"

Back