Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

It looks like their winter Mt. Tremblant service is working out for them. They are moving to (up to) 12 flights a week this year
- December 21 through January 9 - 3 weekly roundtrip flights
- January 10 through January 23 - 9 weekly roundtrip flights
- January 26 through April 3 - 12 weekly roundtrip flights
http://www.flyporter.com/en/press2010.aspx?id=126

EDIT: In other news, 14 construction companies have expressed interest in the job of building the tunnel to the island.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/August2010/11/c2009.html

The Toronto Port Authority ("TPA") advised today that it had received 14 written Expressions of Interest regarding the proposed pedestrian tunnel connecting the mainland to the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport ("BBTCA") under the Western Gap of the Toronto harbour....As previously announced, 100 per cent of the cost of design, building, financing and maintaining the tunnel will be ultimately borne by departing passengers via the BBTCA's existing $20 Airport Improvement Fee ("AIF"). For comparison purposes, each passenger at Pearson International Airport currently pays an AIF of $25 per departing flight.

From Maclean's:

"The man who’s driving Air Canada crazy: How Robert Deluce took over a Toronto airport, launched Porter Airlines and screwed over Air Canada"
http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/08/13/the-aviator-antagonist/

Last edited:
There will be no US preclearance at the island airport.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...th-strategy-thrown-for-a-loop/article1676421/

The U.S. State Department has sent a diplomatic note to Canada’s Foreign Affairs Department, saying the United States has declined the application to allow U.S. customs preclearance facilities to open at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport. “The decision was made based on many factors, including the passenger load at the airport in question, which does not meet the current threshold for consideration of new preclearance locations,” a spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said in an interview Tuesday.

They have opened a second lounge at the island airport. The new lounge will be for domestic passengers and the pre-existing lounge will be for US passengers.

EDIT: It turns out there is now separate security setups for Canada and US. The old security area is now for US and there is a new one for Canadian passengers to the right as you enter the check-in area (which leads to the domestic lounge).

Last edited:
Porter airlines load factors rise.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idCATRE68K2SP20100921

VANCOUVER (Reuters) - Porter Airlines said on Tuesday it flew more passengers in August versus a year earlier as the small regional carrier started releasing monthly traffic statistics like its bigger Canadian rivals.

Porter said its load factor -- the percentage of available seats filled with paying passengers -- rose to 63.9 percent last month from 52.5 percent in August 2009.

"The improvements shown in 2010, particularly in the second half of the year, largely reflect a fully deployed 20-aircraft fleet as of this spring," Porter President and Chief Executive Robert Deluce said in a statement.

Porter broke even at a load factor of 49 percent in 2009, Deluce said, a level much lower than its bigger industry rivals, Air Canada (ACb.TO) and WestJet Airlines Ltd (WJA.TO).

The lower load factor puts Porter "in a very good position for the rest of this year, given the type of numbers we are posting," said Deluce, who founded the airline four years ago.

Porter said its available seat miles, the total number of seats it offered, rose 69 percent in August to 99.7 million.

Revenue passenger miles, calculated by multiplying numbers of passengers by distance flown, increased 105 percent to 63.7 million.

"Beginning a standard disclosure process summarizing our monthly traffic will help inform the market about Porter's competitive positioning," Deluce said.

The carrier, which offers short-haul flights in Eastern Canada and into the United States, has been trying to raise its profile with investors as it considers an initial public offering.

Porter pulled a planned C$120 million ($116.5 million) IPO in June as investor appetite for new stock issues waned at a time of choppy equity markets. But Deluce has said an IPO is still an option, as are other forms of public financing.

The airline has created a loyal following among some in Toronto's business community who like its universal business class service as well as the proximity of its airport hub, the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, to the downtown core.

The airport is on the lakefront just minutes away from Bay Street, compared with the 45-minute commute to the much larger Pearson International Airport, Air Canada's main hub.

Despite its newness, Porter has started nipping at the heels of the country's biggest airlines on routes in Eastern Canada, the busiest in the country.

Earlier this month, Air Canada reported a flat load factor of 86.8 percent for August while WestJet said its dipped to 82.2 percent from 84.5 percent a year ago. In general though, air travel demand has improved this year after a sharp slowdown last year during the recession.

Couple pics by me
Billy Bishop Toronto City Airports new shiny airport terminal..

October12010093.jpg

Must be the shortest ferry ride in the world..lol
October12010112.jpg

There is no stoping this airport now

Air Canada to operate flights to Montreal from island airport

MONTREAL — Air Canada says it will begin flights between the Toronto Island airport and Montreal starting in February next year.

The airline says it expects to offer up to 15 daily flights from Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport to Montreal's Trudeau International Airport.

The new route will compete with upstart regional carrier Porter Airlines, which started flying out of the airport on Toronto's waterfront four years ago.

Air Canada has signed a letter of intent for five Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 turboprop aircraft that will be used on the route, which will be operated by Sky Regional Airlines Inc.

Air Canada was granted initial approval to fly into and out of the downtown Toronto airport in June.

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101004/101004_AC/20101004/?hub=CP24Home

There is no stoping this airport now

Air Canada to operate flights to Montreal from island airport

MONTREAL — Air Canada says it will begin flights between the Toronto Island airport and Montreal starting in February next year.

The airline says it expects to offer up to 15 daily flights from Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport to Montreal's Trudeau International Airport.

The new route will compete with upstart regional carrier Porter Airlines, which started flying out of the airport on Toronto's waterfront four years ago.

Air Canada has signed a letter of intent for five Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 turboprop aircraft that will be used on the route, which will be operated by Sky Regional Airlines Inc.

Air Canada was granted initial approval to fly into and out of the downtown Toronto airport in June.

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101004/101004_AC/20101004/?hub=CP24Home

hip hip ... hip hip ... hip hip hooray!

It'll be interesting to see how this move for Air Canada will affect the 'regional' flights to and from Pearson. I know a lot of people depend on those flights as connecting flights for longer overseas flights. Having to not only transfer terminals, but transfer airports completely may be a detriment to Air Canada. Porter has done a really good job creating a niche market in the air travel industry, and I don't really think that Air Canada trying to copy the service is going to make a significant dent in Porter's profitability.

It'll be interesting to see how this move for Air Canada will affect the 'regional' flights to and from Pearson. I know a lot of people depend on those flights as connecting flights for longer overseas flights. Having to not only transfer terminals, but transfer airports completely may be a detriment to Air Canada. Porter has done a really good job creating a niche market in the air travel industry, and I don't really think that Air Canada trying to copy the service is going to make a significant dent in Porter's profitability.

It should really come down to the booking agent no? If you know that your passenger needs to connect to another flight than you aren't going to send them to the island. I'm sure there will be some hiccups, but many cities manage just fine with multiple airports serving it, though I'm not aware of one airline serving multiple airports within one city so that may be the issue.

Any way I'm just saying that it should be obvious to all parties, airline, travel agent, and passenger that you don't book a flight to airport "A" when you will be making a connection to another flight leaving out of airport "B". I'm sure there's enough direct Mtl-Tor demand that connections won't be much of an issue.

For this to work, AC will have to mimic the Porter experience...which includes things like the free shuttle from a convenient place in downtown Toronto.

What are they going to do? Check boarding passes at the shuttle? I would guess the shuttle will be transferred over to the terminal corporation, to force Air Canada to pay for it as well.

It should really come down to the booking agent no? If you know that your passenger needs to connect to another flight than you aren't going to send them to the island. I'm sure there will be some hiccups, but many cities manage just fine with multiple airports serving it, though I'm not aware of one airline serving multiple airports within one city so that may be the issue.

Any way I'm just saying that it should be obvious to all parties, airline, travel agent, and passenger that you don't book a flight to airport "A" when you will be making a connection to another flight leaving out of airport "B". I'm sure there's enough direct Mtl-Tor demand that connections won't be much of an issue.

But creating a new service would inherently reduce the frequency of the existing service, right? For anyone who is using the current service to make a connection to another flight, this may be an inconvenience, as half the flights now flying into the GTA will be of no use to you. And yes you're right, in most other cities, an airline will select 1 airport, and fly into that. The only exception I can think of is NYC, where JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark are all served by most of the major airlines, or most of them fly to 2 of the 3.

For this to work, AC will have to mimic the Porter experience...which includes things like the free shuttle from a convenient place in downtown Toronto.

That should be interesting. "Free" and "perks" aren't exactly in AC's vocabulary.

But creating a new service would inherently reduce the frequency of the existing service, right? For anyone who is using the current service to make a connection to another flight, this may be an inconvenience, as half the flights now flying into the GTA will be of no use to you. And yes you're right, in most other cities, an airline will select 1 airport, and fly into that. The only exception I can think of is NYC, where JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark are all served by most of the major airlines, or most of them fly to 2 of the 3.

Point taken. Never really thought about the potential reduction in frequencies.

Back