News   May 03, 2024
 293     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 161     0 

Best Evening News in Toronto

RedRocket191

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've been a loyal CITY TV viewer for 20 years, but I'm becoming very frustrated with their turn to american style outrage journalism.

"Find out the mistake that coffee drinkers can't afford to make... tonight at 6."

"Find out what it killing your children and why the government isn't doing a thing about it... tomorrow at 11."

I think it's time to switch, so where should I tune my TV at six?

Discuss, with examples.

I find CBC's Six has been getting better by leaps and bounds, just as well as City has been degenerating into tabloid crap. And they don't try to be gimmicky either, there's seldom a story on CBC news I find that is pointless filler. Global/CTV/City are all good at that it seems... and the gimmicks these days.. City with Michael Kuss, CTV's "my Toronto" campaign, Global with Leslie Roberts' super makeup...

like.. who needs THAT much makeup?
news_banner.jpg

I think CTV does a great job of covering Toronto news (better than CBC or Global), to a point that I sometimes feel they're being Toronto-centric. However, with that comes coverage that always starts with the police blotter - when the news starts they may announce their top story being a political thing, but they only actually get to that "top story" after listing off all shootings, stabbings, car crashes, and fires for the first 15 minutes of broadcast. The "Find out what is killing your children and why the government isn't doing a thing about it" element has gotten really bad, and the comedy-relief goofy weathermen really grate me.

Sad to hear that City has gone downhill. But what should you expect for a newscast that decided a name like "City Pulse" was simply too confusing for viewers looking for news.

I'd say try CBC at 6 or wait until 11 (10pm if you've got cable).

i use the forums and blogs to get my news. UT and spacing have a great pool of people who post news regularly.

-i can read it on my own time, when and where i want
-there's usually a good discussion after which i can voice my opinion if i want to
-i can view the weather quickly and easily on the web as well without having to see tons and tons of useless radar/satellite imagery
-most of the time i also find things that would never be reported on TV news

TV news are the thing of the past for me.

did rogers turn city news into shitty news?

602_image_24.jpg

haha
...Shittynews aside, this was happening way before Rogers was in the picture and began shortly after Moses left. It lost its vision in the quest for ratings and from what I've read, the Director of News (who was recently fired) didn't help the situation at all. The siphoning of the CityNews brand down to BT has been the most disappointing. BT used to be visually and conceptually different from CityPulse/CityNews, but more and more it's blurring and BT is now a news show with variety on the side, instead of the other way around. I don't like waking up in the morning hearing about Tracey Moore's outrageous overreaction to anything, then spewing false information about it.

Save firing the News Director and adding the Live @ 5 newscast, I doubt Rogers has really begun to do all they want to do with CityNews. I'll remain cautiously optimistic, but apparently they want to take the program back to its roots and have an intensely local newscast. CityNews was just as shitty prior to Rogers as it has been after I'd say. Hopefully that'll change soon.

If I'm home at Six (which is rare), I'll take the CBC local news over anything else. It's done one a shoestring, but I'd still say it's easily the most credible newscast. Otherwise, I tend to watch City more than CFTO, but recognize them both for being good at different things. I rarely watch Global.

I usually stick to CBC for some real news. I find it funny how each day City-TV has some sort of story like "how buying that pair of shoes will kill children in asia.. and give you cancer" sort of thing.

I don't think there are any HD broadcasts other than CBC and City correct?

I like my news to have a local focus, mainly because the program i'm enrolled in is all about dealing with local and regional issues. It's good to hear that they plan to take it back in that direction, and I hope it's not too far gone.

Naked News is at least honest in that it makes no pretense about the news being nothing more than entertainment - or titillation.

Naked News is at least honest in that it makes no pretense about the news being nothing more than entertainment - or titillation.

My grandma just turned 80. I am not watching Naked News while she's awake.

Back