Berczy Condos, The (Concert Properties) - Real Estate -

There is also the factor that some units at the north end and at the south end of the building have very large outdoor spaces. Those units should fetch a nice premium.

Closed and had my move in inspection yesterday, very excited. Moving in tomorrow.

Most issues in PDI had been dealt with, but not all. What did concern me is that some of the 25 issues we gave to the PDI guy were not on the list the move-in person had. Not a problem, she was good about it and accepted responsibility immediately, but for those who haven't done their PDI yet, go slow, review list carefully, and if you feel time pressure (which we did, "times up he said") then insist on a supplementary inspection.

Surprisingly it was not very clean. Even construction debris behind the lower kitchen drawers at floor level. I would think that a proper cleaning would be part of delivery. Don't know what the law or the sales agreement says about that, but it would have been nice.

Anyone else frustrated that final exterior building touch-up and building cleaning seems to have stopped three weeks ago? Issues I've noticed include sealing, trimming insulation, area where building meets sidewalk, even painting at the front entrance and certainly cleaning of the exterior cladding of the building at ground level and one burned out light on north-west corner of building.

Last edited:
How have others overcome the obstacle for getting financing:

the unit needs to be appraised to get financing, but Concert won't let the appraiser into the unit to do the appraisal?

the unit needs to be appraised to get financing, but Concert won't let the appraiser into the unit to do the appraisal?

Concert agreed to have the appraiser do it at my PDI. I don't think they want to do it pre-PDI and likely would be convinced to allow post-PDI. Note appraiser was in unit less than 5 minutes.

Concert will grant access to the unit for the appraisal post-pdi. They understand the requirement for the lender to have an appraisal done prior to finalizing mortgage details.

Pdi

my PDI was just - JUST scheduled 1 day...yes ONE day prior to when I take possesion! did anyone do theirs in such short notice? How on earth will they fix anything in 2 days prior to move in? I mean Im sure Concert is great, but a day prior is ridiculous. I understood a month before move int hey would set it up.

We are in the same boat. We are so disappointed that Concert would do this. Guess they didn't want to pay any penalties by delaying the occupancy date so they are rushing and maybe doing less quality workmanship. From what others have reported about the number of deficiencies and the debris left in their units I'm even expecting a worse case scenario with this rushing. Let's hope Concert doesn't drop the ball on these matters.

We are in the same boat. We are so disappointed that Concert would do this. Guess they didn't want to pay any penalties by delaying the occupancy date so they are rushing and maybe doing less quality workmanship. From what others have reported about the number of deficiencies and the debris left in their units I'm even expecting a worse case scenario with this rushing. Let's hope Concert doesn't drop the ball on these matters.

i surely hope not. when i pressed during the call they made the other why so late in the game am i being set a PDI..and I had to email them first to ask ( i asked very nicely I might add) whats going on.... I was told ( a little bit arrogantly) that Tarion will cover it anyways. ummm how did chasing tarion become my problem if they are rushing?

I was also booked on a day extremely inconvenient to me. Something they said they cannot do antyhing about because the suite is not finished by the date i can do the PDI....but i have to do the PDI a day before. ok... a 1 1/2 days before i take possesion...

i understand the stress that finishing can cause on delays but they have such a reputation to uphold.... i truly am hoping it will come through and there are not too much damages or things that need to be fixed....

now on a nother note, about quality workmanship... i 'heard' from gossiping in the area outside after a couple did their pdi, there was kitchen cabinetry that needed changing and was told by the inspector that they would get the doors from another unit above as it would take 5 weeks to get a new one in....ummm i hope it aint my kitchen it came from! so check your cabintery well people!

i have been happy so far with the services they have been provided until this very recent point....... but the feeling of being rushed on their part and on mine especially with my $$ on the line does not sit well with me.

With the PDI issue, don't even dream that after the inspection they will get the stuff done before you move in. Unfortunately, they look at it as a Tarion thing. I had 10 days in between, some stuff got done, a few things still waiting. I don't know if they are even doing fixing of PDI issues right now, as they seem VERY rushed getting units ready on the upper floors. This weekend is a zoo. Two elevators, one for move-ins all weekend (to be expected) and the other full of workmen going up and down. You share with the workmen, but when the elevator is full with materials etc., you wait. Not good, but understandable, I don't know any other way.

Love my unit, love the building, but here's what I'm seeing so far that concerns me, and I know it's early and I know that management is busy working on move-in issues.

First, let's distinguish the PM company (First Service) from Concert.

CONCERT

• Slow on deficiencies, some deficiencies don't show up on deficiency list even after you point them out to the PDI inspector. It is not up to the inspector what goes on the report.
  • Units were not cleaned prior to move-in. Building materials hidden under vanities, behind sliding drawers in kitchen. Water was not turned on under sink for the dishwasher. Could have damaged it if I didn't check and I ran it dry. And the crazy manual for the dishwasher is just an installation manual.
  • Doesn't seem to be any prioritizing of deficiency fix-ups. For instance, one shower had no seal on the bottom of the door, leaks all over the floor. We told them, you would think they could send someone up to fix that.
  • Workmen are doing a lot of damage to stuff, including I'm afraid, the elevator in the construction elevator. We are owners now, the PM company works for us (supposedly) although until the turn-over meeting, we have no power. Has anyone told Concert they need to fix the elevator panel that is all scratched up.

FIRST SERVICE

• Concierge / Security guys are nice enough, but I don't know if they are trained and actually report things to management.
  • Met the property manager. She seems like a nice lady, but don't think I've seen her today, Saturday, probably the busiest move-in day to date.
  • I've pointed out issues to them (theater room is about 90 degrees, back door on G seems to be always open including this morning at 6 am with no workers around, anyone can get in the building), and when I tell them these things, they smile and seem interested, but I don't get the feeling it goes any further. Last night, I walked my son down to the front door as he was leaving, it was around 10, nobody at the desk, and the door wouldn't open from the inside. Usually there is a button for magnetic locks. But no button to push to open it. Seems there is a motion detector as you approach it that unlocks the magnetic lock. But I was right under it and it didn't open. Mentioned it to the security guy today. He just shrugged.
  • As the building fills up, you would think you would hear from them, emails etc. For instance, when is the fitness room opening up. It looks ready, but they say no. The whirlpool is running, but the doors are locked. What about a garbage room for stuff you are throwing out, cardboard etc. They have some bins on G I guess because of construction. Communication!

So yes, it's early, and I understand a lot of this is bound to happen. But owners, keep your eyes open. Remember that prior to the turnover meeting the developer and PM company have a chummy relationship, and allegiances will not be to the owners. We need to make sure that before Concert moves on to their next condo that common-area deficiencies (lobby, gym, parking area, elevators, hallways, systems etc.) have been delivered in like-new condition.

And by the way, come join our owners Facebook group, time to leave Urban Toronto:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BerczyCondo/

Last edited:
Ah the fun of moving into a new building :)

Property management may or may not have emails -- you'd be amazed at how many people don't provided updated info. Concert may or may not have turned over contact information to property management yet. All of that communications stuff takes a while to sort out -- get your board on it as soon as they're in place.

Also, be prepared to have the trades in and out fixing things. It always happens, no matter how long ago your PDI was, because sometimes they do things "in bulk" (fixing all the showers the same day), and sometimes you'll find more things as you're living there.

Patience is a pre-requisite when moving into a new condo -- we've been in our place 2.5 years and things are still being tended to (because the developer has quite a bit of time to get things done so may end up dragging their heels)

Walked by your building today, and it looks great. It's one of the few new builds that has tempted me to move.

Thanks for all the information Harry. We are looking forward to meeting you and the other owners.

Concert has won awards for their product and customer service so if we are not happy then perhaps we should communicate with David Podmire (Chairman and CEO). I'm sure he would not want poor product/service with Concerts name.

Harry,
Has anyone asked First service when the turnover meeting will be happening? They must of reached minority ownership by now with all the closings done to the 8th floor in the past week.

Back