News   May 03, 2024
 976     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 597     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 287     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

James Turrel's LED project-RIP! I regret the cancellation as much as anyone, but I honestly saw this coming. Brookfield initially scaled their plans for the LED installation back, from $7MIL to $3MIL. and now $0 - so it doesn't surprise me that they would remove the fins in order to cut costs- maybe even speed things up a little..However, it seems odd, that with the money earned by creating an additional rentable floor, they could have easily added the fins, or even the LED installation. Ahh, developers go figure!!

p5

Well they did go from LEED Silver to Gold. That said, isn't the public art component already set as a condition of zoning approval? I wonder how they got away with the LED project.

AoD

^^I am not sure either, but it seems they have- Nonetheless, it wouldn't surprise me if they incorporate some piece(s) of sculptural work into the parkette they plan to build immediately to the east.

p5

^^I don't believe so- that was built as a park and as a monument to construction workers- at least as far as I can recall. Not to mention but it was built almost 15 years ago..

p5

rendering_bay_adelaide_centre_west_tower_3414.jpg

I think that rendering might be off by a lot.

If it's true that this tower's going to be about 215m tall, that would make it more or less the same height as Bay-Wellington Tower and the bottom of the 'V' in Scotia Plaza.

If you draw a line from the top of Bay-Wellington to the bottom of the 'V' and extend that line over the spot where Bay-Adelaide is standing, it should line up almost perfectly. Instead, BA seems to be significantly shorter than where that line would hit. It looks like the same height as 1 King in that picture.

But this is a company rendering right? Wouldn't they want to exaggerate the height, if anything?

Confused

Edward:

Indeed it was, and as mentioned, it was for the BA project then. The current one required additional zoning approvals on top of what's as of right, hence the different set of requirements.

AoD

from the BA Fact Sheet.
Amenities
A key focal point to the BAC development is the urban plaza, a unique feature amongst the
towering office buildings. Tenants and the community will mutually benefit from this major
contribution to public space and life in the downtown. The concept will incorporate a public art
instillation and will be active throughout the year.
Is it possible they're incroporating a James Turrel instalation in the public space? If this is the case, screw the LED's, everyone else is doing that--this could be really interesting.

Maybe they will do what Rockefeller Centre did for a number of years - changing exhibitions of contemporary scuplture. The Koons and the Bourgeois were particularly interesting.

It's possible that the rendering has the building shown deliberately shorter just so that First Canadian Place could poke its head above BA as more of a visual clue to where this building is for those who are familiar with seeing it on the skyline.

If not, well, it's a half-baked job.

Maybe they will do what Rockefeller Centre did for a number of years - changing exhibitions of contemporary scuplture. The Koons and the Bourgeois were particularly interesting.

Yeah, as if I haven't seen enough raccoons in our bourgeois neighbourhoods already

Funny how everybody's so excited about this tower even though it's turning out to be just another non-descript box:

... I guess the psychological torture of having the stump in that spot for a decade has made anything built there climb into the most desirable list of many UT forumers.

Back