News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.6K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.8K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 660     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

March 13

IMG_03-13-09-0108.jpg

IMG_03-13-09-0109.jpg

IMG_03-13-09-0110.jpg

IMG_03-13-09-0111.jpg

IMG_03-13-09-0112.jpg

IMG_03-13-09-0113.jpg

IMG_03-13-09-0114.jpg

IMG_03-13-09-0115.jpg

The heritage facade is the worst part of this building if you ask me.

The whole bottom should been like this and why it looks out of place.

The heritage facade is the worst part of this building if you ask me.

The whole bottom should been like this and why it looks out of place.

Drum, what are you saying exactly? That they should have created more "heritage"? 'Cause they've kind of faked up what's there already.

I like it, and it keeps the Bay canyon interesting and prevents a "this-could-be-anywhere" type of modernist mentality. I like modernism, but I like the accent the old building keeps at the bottom.

But it isn't an old building - it's an entirely new hybrid, a Dr. Stubbs-enhanced, retread, parody of an old building that can't even lay claim on faux status.

The facade looks a little disney-ish to me. It's a modernist building trying to be somehting it's not. Even thoughthe facade is somewhat authenic (albeit with new brick), it is no longer the stand-alone buidling that it is trying to project itself as.

I get the same feeling when I see the fake buildings at the bottom of the "Jazz" rental complex at Church and Shuter.

Apart from by dislike of the facade as a whole, I am quite impressed with the way they have lit up the upper details at night time.

Construction Elevator Away

dsc01518e.jpg

does anyone know if the Tunnel below the building is finished???

That is an important connection as it would save a lot of time to get to the Eaton Centre.

I've said it before - I still think if they were going to keep part of the old building, they should have started it at the 20th floor - which would have made a comment about heritage preservation and would have given some visual interest to the tower.

Or inverted it. Or run a zig zag through the middle.

Leaving it where it is accomplishes nothing, as US points out, it's not "heritage", it detracts from a pleasant modern building, no one is fooled, and no one is satisfied.

Back