News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.7K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.8K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 665     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Walked by the construction site on Thursday evening past, en route to a concert ..

This project is so impressive at street level. The facadism seems to have worked out elegantly and as you guys and gals have already recorded, the stilt effect of the skyscraper at grade is just excellent. All of a sudden I love this project -- the upward glance from sidewalk reveals a degree of sophistication that you just don't see in 'vista mode' from across town. The horizontal ribbon effect of the curtain wall is a deft touch.

From a distance, that top is beginning to look awfully nice to me.

Dashing in a conservative way, this project.

Yes, let's get back on topic after making one last snipe first.

My post wasn't cranky. In Canada we spell Centre like so, not center.

Yes, let's get back on topic after making one last snipe first.

My post wasn't cranky. In Canada we spell Centre like so, not center.

Actually either are correct. They are both listed in the Canadian Oxford Dictionary. Just because it's not preferred doesn't make it wrong. Besides, Canadians aren't exactly consistent choosing between British and American spellings or words anyway.

That said, this building is called Bay Adelaide Centre. You wouldn't write World Trade Centre would you? No. It's the World Trade Center. At least that's my opinion.

You guys kill me.

A friend of mine lives in the World Trade Centre...it's a pretty late 80s kinda place...though, they renovated the interiors to make it look more like some random crap out of CityPlace. Goodbye, chain-link lift doors! :(

Anyway, the broken glass on this project (and RBC Centre) makes me feel so much better about once breaking a skylight at work.

I've walked by BA twice now since Sunday and I'm loving it at street level whilst not loving it at all from a distance (kinda like TonyV was saying). I can't wait til it's complete....I'm excited to see what kinda windows they'll put into the old window frames of the old facade. Anyone know anything about this?

I've walked by BA twice now since Sunday and I'm loving it at street level whilst not loving it at all from a distance (kinda like TonyV was saying).

I agree. I think it's the glass panels at the roof line that are ruining it for me. On the early renders they didn't necessarily look so bad, but I don't like them as much now. Maybe there are still adjustments to be made to them to make them fit in with the rest of the buliding. Perhaps some solid panels will be installed behind them to make them more uniform in colour with the rest of the building. Right now they just look a bit whimsical and whimsy isn't helping this building. It can stand on its own without them.

July 2009 is the advertised completion date. I can see the internal "fitting up" going on on many floors. Office partition walls, ceiling tiles and lights are being installed. Last night the ground floor lobby lights were all on and even though the glass walls have paper up behind them, the base of the tower looked pretty cool.

The bottom 11 floors are blast resistant. Hard to believe when you look at the building. It looks like you can knock it down with a rock.

Quite the treat over at skyscrapercity.com

Stair access to the roof was blocked by some work being done. The next highest floor I was on was the 39th. I apologize for the dirty windows, i guess they didn't know I was coming :lol:

Raps012.jpg

Raps014.jpg

Raps015.jpg

You can see the Tamil protest starting at Union
Raps016.jpg

Looking down on Trump
Raps019.jpg

Back