News   Jul 16, 2024
 612     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 565     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 707     2 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Since it's a major bank, it's easy to assume that it owns the landmark tower. In reality it is indeed a Brookfield property. The TD Centre across the street is actually owned by Cadillac Fairview.

As if BMO has to worry about the cost of fixing it. They're loaded with money.

Exactly.

Whether or not they own the building shouldn't matter. It is the BMO name that is associated with it. It is their image. And right now their highest profile "billboard" is looking run down and tattered... much like how I feel about their brand.

In this Saturday's Star, a Condos section story by Stephen Weir about constructing the Trump tower mentions that the "oversized" Bay Adelaide Centre's three towers will be 51, 49, and 43 floors.

Exactly.

Whether or not they own the building shouldn't matter. It is the BMO name that is associated with it. It is their image. And right now their highest profile "billboard" is looking run down and tattered... much like how I feel about their brand.

Why in the world would they use their money to pay for the renovations to a building that belongs to another corporation?

Why in the world would they use their money to pay for the renovations to a building that belongs to another corporation?

Because they care about their image?
People don't look at the building and think "Hey that's the Brookfield owned building." They think, "Hey that's the BMO building."
Although they shouldn't have to pay for it, Brookfield should be, I can still see BMO wanting to use their own money if Brookfield doesn't want to.
But this is getting WAY off topic.

Because they care about their image?
People don't look at the building and think "Hey that's the Brookfield owned building." They think, "Hey that's the BMO building."
Although they shouldn't have to pay for it, Brookfield should be, I can still see BMO wanting to use their own money if Brookfield doesn't want to.
But this is getting WAY off topic.

Then BMO should take their sign off the building and pay to put it on something nicer looking. It's not as if anyone uses the sign in lieu of an address.

BMO has a fiduciary responsibilty to its shareholders to maximize profits, voluntarily embarking on a hugely expensive renovation for a building it does not own would not be greeted with wild applause by the shareholders. If BMO wishes to participate in corporate philanthopy to enhance its public image, my guess is they would find other avenues of doing it as opposed to writing a cheque to their landlord.

None of this takes away from the clear evidence the building looks aweful. But I think this is a case of blaming the victim for FCP's exterior condition.

I can still see BMO wanting to use their own money if Brookfield doesn't want to.

If you mean BMO shareholders, the answer is no. I doubt they want to pay to fix up property belonging to someone else - regardless of how you feel about it.

Back