News   Jul 26, 2024
 811     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Re: Official Bay Adelaide Centre Thread

I hear drilling and banging going on. Are they just refurubishing the exterior of the heritage building they are retaining? or just building a superstructure around it for when they start building? anyone in the know?

The facade of the heritage building will be dismantled, cleaned, and rebuilt along with the new tower.

"yes, it is. they took core samples a few months back, and the concrete is the hardest ever recorded, so demolition will be interesting "

it has been mentioned on SSC that a secret implosion is planned somewhere along Bay Street

They are disassembling the facade. Then they will tear down the building, excavate for parking and retail and then start building. The facade will be reassembled once the building is rising.

1) Does anyone know if Brookfield owns any of the buildings fronting onto Yonge between Adelaide and Richmond?
2) If they don't, does anyone know if they made an attempt to buy them and incorporate the available density into the project like they did with the Bay St buildings?
3) If they didn't, does anyone know why not?

Seems to me like extending the development to cover the entire city block form Adelaide to Richmond, Yonge to Bay would have taken this to a whole new level - one which would have maybe required a grander vision (an international competition, perhaps?) that would seperate it from the other office towers going up. Retail and hotel components would benefit from a Yonge street frontage, office towers would have Bay street addresses, residential tucked in between.

I would want the Cloud Garden preserved but I don't think that there are any buildings on that stretch of Yonge that would be cost prohibitive for Brookfield.

Thoughts?

it has been mentioned on SSC that a secret implosion is planned somewhere along Bay Street

How can they keep that a secret? The authorities aren't going to take kindly to a big boom downtown with no announcement. Office workers will be traumatized when an unexpected explosion shakes the ground.

) Does anyone know if Brookfield owns any of the buildings fronting onto Yonge between Adelaide and Richmond?

From April 28's 1st Quarter Report:

Acquired two buildings at Yonge and Adelaide Streets, Toronto, for approximately $9 million
adding 100,000 square feet of density to the Bay Adelaide Centre development site, and
completing the parcel bounded by Yonge, Bay, Temperance and Adelaide Streets. The company
is working toward the commencement of construction on a 1.2 million square foot office tower
during the summer of 2006, the first of three phases in the 2.6 million square foot development
project.

nice :) glad to see its finally coming down and then going up.. lol

Who is the tenant?
I'm still confused as to the status of announcement from Brookfield on this project.

"How can they keep that a secret? The authorities aren't going to take kindly to a big boom downtown with no announcement. Office workers will be traumatized when an unexpected explosion shakes the ground. "

'secret' as in only those who need to know will know

I do doubt the stump would be imploded (doesn't make alot of sense logistic wise) but hey ... love to spread the rumours

"Who is the tenant?"

they don't have a major tenant officially signed yet. they're building on spec.

I do doubt the stump would be imploded (doesn't make alot of sense logistic wise) but hey ... love to spread the rumours

I do doubt the stump would be imploded because of the hundreds of parking spaces that would be lost under it.

a good friend of mine,who is a senior auditor with Deloitte, has informed me that Deloitte will be one of the major tenants in the BA centre....This is going to be one of my all time favourite threads on UT for sure, way to go ed007....

Im glad to see something other than a major bank will be anchoring this tower. All of our biggies are big banks and its nice to see someone else take on a big tower.

So it could be called the Deloitte Tower.

I think Ernst & Young beat them to it by about a decade...

Back