News   Jul 26, 2024
 781     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

In today's Globe and Mail business section:
"New office development in downtown Toronto is taking place for the first time in more than a decade. One project has begun and Brookfield Properties Corp. is expected to make an announcement any day on revised plans for its long-dormant Bay-Adelaide Centre. A third building near the Air Canada Centre also is expected."

Revised plans? Or are they just announcing the existing plans?

SGM:

What "existing plans" to us could very well be "revised plans" to the general public who isn't tuned to these things.

AoD

I think the building looks fine. It doesn't look like there is any setback on Bay and the setback is along Adelaide which is fine. I find the way in which most office buildings meet the street to be generally disappointing. People on here are constantly talking about how great TD Centre and the CIBC building are but there is a huge setback on those buildings. The amount of dead space around the CIBC building is minimal but the TD centre leaves a large concrete windswept area in the shadows of the darkest buildings on the skyline. No ground level shops or amenities at all. In contrast this new building leaves a heritage front right along the sidewalk and a slight setback at the office entrance. Doesn't seem that bad to me. Not a revolutionary design but not a bad design either.

I totally agree.

Was down there today, and after so long it will be great to see something happening with that site, it has had so many false starts.

I must be dreaming- another office building being constructed-somebody pinch me. Average looking from the rendering- but who knows. Am I the only one that wishes for a spired highrise in our generic looking core? Not that I'm complaining- gosh no.

“One project has begun and Brookfield Properties Corp. is expected to make an announcement any day on revised plans for its long-dormant Bay-Adelaide Centre.â€

I’m confused; don’t they mean the Richmond and Adelaide site? Otherwise if it’s Bay and Adelaide they speak of what buildings currently underway?

^ Maybe due to past false starts they want to make the annoucement when construction activity is clearly visable in the background.

Bay Adelaide Centre

Official Bay Adelaide Centre Thread

bayadelaide1.jpg

Pic courtesy of 3D

baNS.jpg

Developer: Brookfield Properties
Architect: WZMH Architects Inc.
Planning Docs:
Designation: Office, Retail
Expected Occupancy:
Height: 218m
Floors: 50
Value: $290 million

Re: Official Bay Adelaide Centre Thread

Ed, this is a great idea and one that should have been done a long time ago. Good luck with the site Ed and Billy thanks for getting U/T started.

It'd be awesome to add a pic of the overall site plans to this thread... just to show how this tower fits into the overall three tower development... just my two cents! Thanks!

This design is growing on me. I actuall think it will look pretty good in the context of the buildings around it.

I'd still like to see the facade of 347 Bay mounted in pieces a la Hockney some of the way up the building.

Forgive my expatriate ignorance, but is the stump being demolished in this first phase?

yes, it is. they took core samples a few months back, and the concrete is the hardest ever recorded, so demolition will be interesting

Back