News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.6K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.4K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 609     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

wylie^they are actually build that ,serious it is the next major project in dubai.ba looks great!

I quite like the rendering for the new tower - reminds me of the new 7WTC in Lower Manhattan. I hope they don't use cheap glass on this one!

It's a 27 billion dollar complex of hotels that will replicate some of the worlds most famous buildings, some to scale even. Including...get this... a replica of Burj Dubai down the street.

I find it perplexing how in the course of this whole thread, the matter of how the tower's going to disrupt the Bay Street "canyon" has essentially come and gone without a peep...

Its big. Its not ugly (some might even say a fine looking box). And it will bring more people downtown and add density. Great. Build it and move on to the next project.

I really don't see how it will disrupt the "canyon" in any major way. Having it built slightly farther from Bay St will make for a nicer sidewalk (which is so crazy-busy during the day).

It appears to be only a foot or two in from where the present building is. This sucker is big enough that it will add, not subtract from any street canyon effect.

I really don't see how it will disrupt the "canyon" in any major way. Having it built slightly farther from Bay St will make for a nicer sidewalk (which is so crazy-busy during the day).

Er, yeah, sure. You know, you just contradicted your first sentence with your second sentence...

Mpolo: My thoughts were that it looked like a crane when I walked by this afternoon, but I figured it was just the support for the scaffolding. It did mention something about hydraulics I thought, which might pertain to the lifting of the crane structure to make it taller. Maybe someone else knows about this.

BayAdelaide-June15,06(9).jpg

I think we all hate this project because we've all got building envy. While other major cities around the world are building innovative stunning commerical projects, Toronto never strives to innovate or achieve greatness. Its something that really annoys me about this city and its people.

Isn't it Brookfield that isn't striving to achieve greatness?

I don't think this tower is anything special, but to be honest it doesn't bother me that much. Should be a decent addition, if not spectacular.

Toronto's building booms seem to coincide with periods of modernism. To wit, the preponderance here of boring boxy towers. Yeah they're fine examples of minimalism and....blah blah blah. Somebody dig up ol' Mies' corpse and piss on it for me, will ya!

You think the TD Towers are boring?

I'd say that just because a tower is boxy doesn't mean it's boring. The TD complex is comprised of what are probably Toronto's best towers.

I find it perplexing how in the course of this whole thread, the matter of how the tower's going to disrupt the Bay Street "canyon" has essentially come and gone without a peep...

Okay... well how IS it going to disrupt the canyon? Failing to augment the canyon - which seems to be the case - is not the same as disrupting it.

Okay... well how IS it going to disrupt the canyon? Failing to augment the canyon - which seems to be the case - is not the same as disrupting it.

It disrupts the canyon with the demolition of the existing unspectacular but effective and urban building at 335 Bay. Widening the sidewalk, setting the building back so it's no longer flush with the existing cluster of buildings, and eliminating street level retail are all steps backwards. It's buildings that come right up to the street that create good streetwalls and canyon effects (see my NYC thread)... which is why the Bay St. condo strip further north fails the urbanity test and feels so desolate. By no means a fatal blow to the area, but still unfortunate... and a little less urban.

Back