News   Jun 03, 2024
 894     4 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 646     1 

Barrie Collingwood Railway (BCRY)

Is there any info available on the Bolton Line plan?
Depends. If you’re talking recently, there’s not much. If when doesn’t matter than there’s a bunch from around the late 2000s/early 2010s. Though atm only the town of Caledon seems to be seriously pushing for it. Most parties have pushed it off to the side for the past decade

I guess any info. I only see limited tidbits. I'm between Utopia and Alliston, I'd be interested in seeing Go Train service for no other reason than to see it get this far. I feel like I might be well into retirement years by the time that happens.

I just noticed these 3 stations marked as potential Go Stations in this document. 60 year dream?

Utopia
Alliston
Tottenham

Keep in mind that is part of a County Transportation Master Plan document prepared by a consultant. The words "potential" and "could" show up a lot. The 2014 version showed potential stations all the way up to Craighurst (Hwy 400/Horseshoe Valley Rd. area). Beyond statements such as "consulting with Metrolinx', heavy rail transit is beyond the County's mandate,

I don’t think Utopia is that much of a pipe dream. With GO expansion Metrolinx will very well likely need a new yard somewhere. Utopia I could see being a Lincolnville (sorry, I mean “Old Elm”) style station/rail yard hybrid. Another interesting idea with the Meaford sub from Transport Action Canada is to use it for The Canadian. Essentially they’d reroute it to the Canadian Pacific tracks after Winnipeg and then use the Meaford sub to link it to the Newmarket Sub and take that into Toronto again.

Nothing more than just dreams at this moment in time, but it would be cool to see it used for something

Id love it if they could reuse the old allandale station and bring back the Canadian to barrie, anyways it makes more sense to go to utopia from barrie since it wouldn't require as much upgrades, keep in mind lots of the mac tier sub does not have gated crossing, and every go line requires it, plus cp would prob force metrolinx to build a second track, as the mactier sub its pretty busy being part of their BC route

Also angus is growing pretty fast, it makes sense to have a transit way to link it to barrie
There was Barrie Transit route 90, but it was discontinued when LINX started running to Barrie... which makes a whopping 1 stop in Angus and only runs weekdays. Meanwhile the 90 made many more stops and went right onto CFB Borden

This has gotten me thinking. LINX doesn’t do Bradford-Barrie because GO already does and they don’t wish to repeat service. I wonder if there’s no plans for a LINX Barrie-New Tecumseth route (the only two communities currently not connected via transit) because Metrolinx is planning to do it.

Id love it if they could reuse the old allandale station and bring back the Canadian to barrie, anyways it makes more sense to go to utopia from barrie since it wouldn't require as much upgrades, keep in mind lots of the mac tier sub does not have gated crossing, and every go line requires it, plus cp would prob force metrolinx to build a second track, as the mactier sub its pretty busy being part of their BC route
And how would it go north from there?

I don’t think Utopia is that much of a pipe dream. With GO expansion Metrolinx will very well likely need a new yard somewhere. Utopia I could see being a Lincolnville (sorry, I mean “Old Elm”) style station/rail yard hybrid. Another interesting idea with the Meaford sub from Transport Action Canada is to use it for The Canadian. Essentially they’d reroute it to the Canadian Pacific tracks after Winnipeg and then use the Meaford sub to link it to the Newmarket Sub and take that into Toronto again.
Transport Action Canada is an advocacy group and can propose/dream anything they want. CP might have something to say about it. |I don't know how much additional storage Metrolinx will need in the future - they seem to have a fair bit in the current Allendale yard and, if they needed more, finding property just east of Ferndale or down the Beeton spur would be closer. If nothing else, building a s/b - e/b connecting track at Utopia would require buying up a number of commercial properties. I'm also not sure how well the Canadian would weave into Metrolinx's planned service.

I'm quite confused. The old Allendale station is not on the alignment of the BCR; it's not huge, about 60m away but certainly not adjacent.

Metrolinx doesn't operate the Canadian, so I'm not sure why their rules would apply.

Who are you proposing using the Mactier sub? Metrolinx - they have their own route out of Barrie. Via - are you suggesting, between the two posts, that the Canadian come down the Mactier sub, go into Barrie, then back out to Utopia?

Transport Action Canada is an advocacy group and can propose/dream anything they want. CP might have something to say about it. |I don't know how much additional storage Metrolinx will need in the future - they seem to have a fair bit in the current Allendale yard and, if they needed more, finding property just east of Ferndale or down the Beeton spur would be closer. If nothing else, building a s/b - e/b connecting track at Utopia would require buying up a number of commercial properties. I'm also not sure how well the Canadian would weave into Metrolinx's planned service.

I'm quite confused. The old Allendale station is not on the alignment of the BCR; it's not huge, about 60m away but certainly not adjacent.

Metrolinx doesn't operate the Canadian, so I'm not sure why their rules would apply.

Who are you proposing using the Mactier sub? Metrolinx - they have their own route out of Barrie. Via - are you suggesting, between the two posts, that the Canadian come down the Mactier sub, go into Barrie, then back out to Utopia?

Currently, the Canadian uses the Newmarket Sub through Washago. In fact, Washago is the last station before Union.

Back