News   Jul 16, 2024
 525     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 547     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 678     2 

Barrie Collingwood Railway (BCRY)

Maybe it is to put a bike path there.

Is there any public information on this?
https://www.metrolinxengage.com/sit...g_2_bar_display_panels_draft_10nov16_rev4.pdf page 4: "The Allandale Tap/TPS is to be located on a parcel of land situated at the northwest corner of Patterson Road and the Barrie-Collingwood Rail corridor in Barrie. • The proposed conceptual layout/positioning of the TPS, is an “L” shaped configuration that affects three property parcels."

1632781984351.png

There is also a substation in Essa which the BCRY previously had access to via the Penetang spur. Might be a bit of a stretch, but I wonder if Metrolinx would consider going here for a source of electricity.

Last edited:
View attachment 351799
There is also a substation in Essa that the BCRY which the BCRY previously had access to via the Penetang spur. Might be a bit of a stretch, but I wonder if Metrolinx would consider going here for a source of electricity.

That's a distribution node along Hydro One's 500Kv ' Moose River' circuits from northeastern Ontario. Hydro One typically has 'interconnect points' with customers (other utilities, etc.) rather than shared spaces. At some point, there needs to be a 'metering point' for the customer. It would make little sense for Metrolinx to have a step-down here then a dedicated (and owned) line all the way to their proposed substation rather than an interconnect with Barrie PUC at the site. If capacity upgrades are needed to satisfy a new customer, that's for Barrie PUC to deal with - they're the provider. Getting into transmission/distribution corridors seems like a new business than Metrolinx doesn't need.

Forgot to Add: There is a TS literally right across the street from Tiffin and Paterson, which I assume is the, or one of the, interconnects between Hydro One and Barrie PUC.

Last edited:
View attachment 351754View attachment 351756View attachment 351757
I was around the area the other day and it appears the Meaford sub tunnel with Highway 400 is built to allow double tracking of the corridor. Idk what they could really do with it, but it’s nice that it’s there I suppose
Generally when the MTO built highway structures back in the "olden days" over existing railway lines, they would build it to allow for one additional track to the one that already existed.

So yes, this was to allow for a second track on the Meaford.

Dan

could be, it could also be because Metrolinx is planning to have a wire run from Allandale to a transformer station around Tiffin and Patterson for GO expansion along the Meaford sub. Would definitely love a 'Barrie West' station though.

I'd really like a Collingwood and Blue Mountain station while we are at it....

Generally when the MTO built highway structures back in the "olden days" over existing railway lines, they would build it to allow for one additional track to the one that already existed.

So yes, this was to allow for a second track on the Meaford.

Dan

Makes sense since they are essentially expanding the existing structure. Streetview shows even the overpass over the stub end of the Innisfil Spur (near Georgian Downs/Hwy 400 Fleamarket) is double width.

Makes sense since they are essentially expanding the existing structure. Streetview shows even the overpass over the stub end of the Innisfil Spur (near Georgian Downs/Hwy 400 Fleamarket) is double width.

The interesting thing with that overpass is that it was constructed in the 1970s. For twenty years, that was a level crossing, and the Beeton Sub even had a daily passenger train until 1960. By the time the overpass was built, CN was planning the abandonment of the line.

I just noticed these 3 stations marked as potential Go Stations in this document. 60 year dream?

Utopia
Alliston
Tottenham

Good find.

As for whether it'll happen, you never know. Service to London and Niagara both just kinda happened without a public report or a business case for the currently implemented format; and they're both going to be very heavily subsidized (like $500+ per passenger per trip) for a long time. London is particularly interesting because it doesn't even add local ticket facilities. Future stations reports didn't consider potential new lines, or even extensions (for the most part). In short, a single round-trip is almost entirely a political process.

Adding discount stations might be tricky. Would anyone tolerate a Grimsby type station, with a thin/short chunk of unlit pavement, for a test?

That said, this is a CP corridor and they're much less accommodating to commuter rail than CN.

Last edited:
Good find.

As for whether it'll happen, you never know. Service to London and Niagara both just kinda happened without a public report or a business case for the currently implemented format; and they're both going to be very heavily subsidized (like $500+ per passenger per trip) for a long time. London is particularly interesting because it doesn't even add local ticket facilities. Future stations reports didn't consider potential new lines, or even extensions (for the most part). In short, a single round-trip is almost entirely a political process.

Adding discount stations might be tricky. Would anyone tolerate a Grimsby type station, with a thin/short chunk of unlit pavement, for a test?

That said, this is a CP corridor and they're much less accommodating to commuter rail than CN.
It could go either way, the Bowmanville extension of LSE is using the CP Belleville subdivision and that's not even peak only, it will be all day service. I don't think it's completely out of the question

Back