News   Jul 30, 2024
 765     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 628     0 

Barber: Hazel Takes Up Charge for Municipal Funding

Dion really needs to attach himself to this. I know that the Libs werent for it under Martin, but it could be a cause where people actually see him take a stand on something. He would get the mayors on his side, he would get all the premiers on his side (after all, it would mean they dont have to fund cities more)...... Everyone would stand behind Dion in opposition to Harper.

Funny how Miller was called a "taxation whore" here but Hazel is not even though she is the one who is a woman.

I think a television campaign would really help the cause too. Start it now while the conservatives are running their attack ads.

Dion really needs to attach himself to this. I know that the Libs werent for it under Martin, but it could be a cause where people actually see him take a stand on something. He would get the mayors on his side, he would get all the premiers on his side (after all, it would mean they dont have to fund cities more)...... Everyone would stand behind Dion in opposition to Harper.

The Liberals need a new leader... plain and simple. (Coming from a Liberal member)

Anyone notice the Star's front page this morning?

The headline reads (literally taking a page from the New York Daily News): "PM to Cities: Drop Dead"

I only wish they were a little more vocal during the election campaign when the paper tripped over itself to give an unqualified endorsement of McGuinty (I would have been happier with a conditional endorsement of the Liberals).

Why couldn't Hazel and Miller launch this together before the provincial election? And get the mayors of all the major urban areas on-board at the same time. Seems like wasted efforts.

Miller couldn't do anything before the election because of the land transfer tax fiasco. He clearly wanted to and was going to, had he been able to point to the significant efforts Toronto was making to raise its own revenue. When council voted down the taxes and publicly said that they were going to use it to blackmail the provincial government, it pretty much shot through any Miller lobbying.

Also keep in mind - it isn't like Harper et al. is counting on the 905 to deliever them the majority they so seek...

Don't be so sure. They've obviously written off the 416, but they're definitely targeting at least a half dozen 905 seats, including a couple in Mississauga, which would be a big boost to their majority hopes.

Cash-strapped cities welcome McCallion's move

JENNIFER LEWINGTON

CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

November 9, 2007

Shockwaves from a dramatic tax hike in Mississauga and a renewed crusade for a larger slice of federal surpluses reverberated across the region yesterday, with two cities ready to follow suit.

Toronto Mayor David Miller and counterparts in neighbouring cities were unanimous in hailing Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion's political gambit of Wednesday - a council-approved, 5-per-cent surcharge on Mississauga taxpayers that claws back a recent one-percentage-point cut in the federal GST.

Her bold stroke, on top of a proposed 3.9-per-cent property tax increase, catapults the iconic suburban mayor to the front of a national campaign for Ottawa to share its $14-billion surplus with cash-strapped cities.

But federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, speaking to reporters in Toronto yesterday, again flatly rejected calls for Ottawa to take new steps to share its wealth with cities.

At a private meeting in Toronto, Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty raised the plight of municipalities with Prime Minister Stephen Harper, asking if the federal government would lend direct support.

"I think it would be fair to say that he is not particularly receptive to that approach," Mr. McGuinty told reporters.

Meanwhile, only some mayors are ready to follow Ms. McCallion's lead and levy a special infrastructure tax on top of property tax hikes looming for 2008.

Fast-growing Brampton raised the possibility of a 5-per-cent infrastructure levy several weeks ago, with a council vote expected in December or January, on top of a possible property tax hike of between 4.5 per cent and 5 per cent.

"All municipalities are clearly dealing with an infrastructure deficit," Brampton Mayor Susan Fennell said. "If we had an extra penny [one of the six cents in federal goods and services tax levied on every dollar of purchases], we wouldn't need to levy this."

Next week, the City of Ottawa opens its budget debate with a 2-per-cent special levy for infrastructure built into the equation. But if council backs Mayor Larry O'Brien's call for no increase in property taxes, the 2-per-cent levy would have to be neutralized with spending cuts.

Toronto, however, will not copy Mississauga.

"We've done our part," said Mr. Miller, citing council approval last month for two new taxes expected to raise $180-million to $200-million next year. He repeated his hope to keep a property-tax hike to 3 to 4 per cent next year.

Oshawa Mayor John Gray, the host of a meeting next week of large Ontario municipalities that will debate Ms. McCallion's "cities now" campaign, said there are no plans for a levy.

Over his objections, Oshawa Council aims to limit a property-tax increase to around 4 per cent next year, compared with 8 per cent recommended by staff, to pay for aging infrastructure and services.

Echoing Ms. McCallion's pointed jabs this week at the federal Finance Minister, who represents Whitby-Oshawa, Mr. Gray said, "Jim needs to understand that municipal governments create quality of life for our citizens and it is the type of quality of life that his own voters appreciate."

Ajax Mayor Steve Parish said that without revenue from slot machines, his town would have to levy a special charge, too. He described Ms. McCallion as a "very shrewd politician" for targeting the minority federal government that last month sliced a point off the GST instead of investing the extra funds in urban projects.

"She's saying that is not acceptable and she is trying to ratchet up the political heat," Mr. Parish said.

Yesterday, though, Mr. Flaherty refused to yield to Ms. McCallion's tart commentary.

"I've known Hazel for a long time ... and sometimes things were rosy and sometimes things weren't, depending on how she viewed the world," he said, noting that the federal government already has committed funds for transit in Mississauga.

With reports from Karen Howlett and Murray Campbell

Toronto, Mississauga and Brampton agreeing on the same thing? Wow.

Fennell still has access to huge development charges (still far from beign built-out), and is already planning the same taxes as McCallion. Good to see Mississauga fixing the mistakes of the past and other of the more progressive of the 905 municipalities following the lead before they are in the same boat.

My opinion of Hazel is slowly improving - as she carries little political baggage and (deservedly or not) has a reputation of running a tight ship, I think it was better that she renewed the campaign this time around. After all, she has clout across the poltical spectrum, and represents an area that the Conservatives would want to take seats from.

1925198973_aa50371858.jpg

Here's what the Prime Minister thinks:

Harper rejects financial aid for cities

RICHARD LAUTENS/TORONTO STAR
Stephen Harper, seen through a teleprompter, gives a speech to the Canadian Club of Toronto yesterday.
Nov 09, 2007 04:30 AM

Robert Benzie
Rob Ferguson
Queen's Park Bureau
Premier Dalton McGuinty took a message from the cities to Prime Minister Stephen Harper yesterday: Please help.

Harper's reply: Don't bother asking.

The two leaders met privately for 45 minutes yesterday at a downtown hotel, with the premier suggesting federal funding could help cash-strapped Ontario municipalities.

"I raised the issue directly with Mr. Harper as to whether his government had any interest whatsoever in lending direct support to our municipal partners," McGuinty told reporters later.

"It would be fair to say that he is not particularly receptive to that approach."

McGuinty also asked Harper about cutting interest rates in an effort to cool a red-hot loonie that has been hurting Ontario's manufacturing sector.

Toronto Mayor David Miller has been asking that one percentage point of the federal GST be given to municipalities, which would mean $410 million a year to help the city build and maintain roads, bridges and expressways.

And this week, Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion launched her own campaign to get federal funding for infrastructure costs after council voted to impose a 5 per cent levy on property taxes to pay for repairs and replacement of aging bridges, roads and sewer and water systems.

But sources say the Prime Minister emphasized in the meeting that he had "no plans to transfer tax to another level of government" and noted municipalities are creatures of the province – not a federal responsibility.

McGuinty didn't buy the argument that funding of cities should be simply a provincial responsibility.

"The way I see it is that our cities and towns are centres of innovation and wealth creation and we need to do more together to lend direct support to them," he said.

"It's great to get Mayor McCallion publicly speaking to this important issue.

"If we're going to enjoy any success ... we need more mayors of small communities and large communities speaking out across the country and saying to the federal government, `You find yourself in a wonderful position, where you're running surpluses on a continual basis. Why can you not come to the table and lend direct support to Canadian municipalities?'"

McCallion told the Star after hearing what Harper said to McGuinty that she expects other mayors across the country to take up her crusade and take it to the people – especially if there is a federal election next year.

"The citizens have a choice," said McCallion, mayor since 1978 and one of Canada's most popular and influential civic leaders. "They can press the federal government or they pick up the tab on their property taxes. They can't sit back and do nothing."

The surtax will cost Mississauga homeowners an average of $50 a year.

McCallion said she's not surprised Harper and federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty aren't listening to cities given that the former Ontario Conservative government – of which Flaherty was a part – downloaded social housing, ambulance and other costs on municipalities.

"We got shafted. You think he's going to change his colours when he gets to Ottawa? We've got a fight on our hands," she said.

Flaherty was unfazed by the criticism.

"We're different orders of government and I know them both well. I've known Hazel for a long time (from) when I was in provincial politics," said Flaherty, who was Ontario finance minister under former premier Mike Harris.

"We believe in lowering taxes. We believe in being very careful on the spending side as well."

Flaherty noted that Ottawa is giving the provinces $33 billion in infrastructure over the next seven years, which will help municipalities.

"It's not a drop in the bucket," he said.

Beyond the impasse on municipal funding, Harper and McGuinty's "high-level" discussion centred on the impact of the soaring Canadian dollar on Ontario manufacturers.

"I made my pitch, I expressed my concerns once again about the effect the high dollar is having on our manufacturers and our exporters," he said.

"The Prime Minister, I can say, listened intently."

Harper did not meet reporters after his meeting with McGuinty nor after a speech to the Canadian Club at the Royal York Hotel, in which he said the fundamentals of the Canadian economy were sound, and that tens of thousands of new jobs were being created each month.

"It's worth noting that our economy has been showing tremendous resiliency against a range of economic changes," Harper said.

With files from Susan Delacourt

Shit, she's serious. Mississauga already has a page running on the city's website.

I recommend the "Federal Government's Priorities Are Wrong" slide presentation! Hot stuff!

http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/Cities_now_presentation.pdf

cities_now.gif

Louroz

The reality is that NO ONE knows anything about Hazel McCallion's Mississauga. It is a secretive, duplistic political landscape that emphasizes CONTROL.

This GO HAZEL -- how much do any of you know about how Mississauga is governed?

Remember Harris and the Common Sense Revolution. He won by a landslide because people were fed up with big government and above all wasteful spending. They saw governments (both provincial and municipal) out of control.

So let's focus on cities here. There was no accountability in 1995 when Harris took over and there's LESS NOW, not more.

Mississauga senior staff wouldn't even go on record to define "accountable" for me. I sit in on Audit Committee meetings and hokey smoke. HOKEY SMOKE. There's plenty of reason to believe Mississauga is leaking money all over the place. Their record keeping is all over the map. The last Audit Committee revealed money records from "adequate to non-existent".

Mississauga has a Communications Department second-to-none. It's brilliant at manipulating the media. Or maybe we're just condemned around here to a loopy stunned media that happily swallows the Mississauga line.

People forget the fat cats municipalities were back in the early-mid 90's and people's frustrations at the municipal perks.

I know why the Province and the Feds don't want to open that spigot. They know that municipalities will take far greater care spending money that they themselves collect through property taxes than Prov and Fed dollars that can potentially get re-pissed away.

Yeah, "re-pissed".

No one bothers to question that McCallion's popularity came about in a uniquely prosperous and growing area (Peel), with a Communications Department trumpeting Trust Quality Excellence and stifling (through bylaws) any potential opposition.

She's backed by security guards that have no complaints procedures and the fact is, there's no complaints procedure at all in Mississauga. No record of any complaint ever for Parks and Rec --ever, all the way back to 1974. That's a HUGE department.

McCallion's idea of public input is to invite the public to comment on Gypsy Moth and then be totally secretive about the installation of 300 CCTV cameras.

Since my observation time (June 2006), McCallion has expended considerable energy in proclaiming Mississauga the best managed, best governed city in Canada. A global leader. And at every opportunity, crapped on the city of Toronto. Eager to leave Peel Region.

Mississauga uber alles. Yet she's touted as The Great Unifier?

The Ontario Ombudsman has a chart that shows that Ontario is DEAD LAST in accountability in the MUSH sector. Municipalities have an inpenetrable zone of immunity around them.

It's not possible to prove that they're spending their money as they claim.

The Harris years were painful but it brought municipal spending under control.

And now you-all want to turn the $$$$-spigot back on to municipalities that not only still aren't accountable they are less so. Elections four years now rather than three.

Then there's the 2001 Municipal Act (that McCallion had considerable voice in) that bestows municipalities "natural person" status. That provides municipalties with the chilling effect of the power to sue. Sue citizen-critics. Sue newspapers. And they have.

Now we've got the latest Municipal amendments where there's a provision for faux-accountabiilty. And "virtually everyone" (exact words from Peel Regional Council on Thursday) --that is, virtually all municipalities will be hiring a subsidiary corporation called Local Authority Services (a corporation they control) to hire "investigators" to investigate themselves.

Like seriously. Seriously.

Yes! Help the cities. But this CITIES NOW stuff sure ain't helping citizens. NOT when Ontario municipalities have no accountability other than one day every four years when the voting booths are open.

Good Lord, I hope that McGuinty and Harper hold the line on these people.

Remember too that McCallion's Mississauga has the highest paid elected officials around. And staff are paid handsomely with salary AND perks. And if memory serves from that June Budget meeting, employee contracts were coming up as well. And I remember a pie chart that showed just how much of the Mississauga budget went into employee salaries.

One example. The Director of the Mississauga Crime Prevention Association --from a recent job posting, will be getting $75,000. The MCPA if you recall is the group that hires its own research-group (Intercon) to do the annual Mississauga is the Safest City in Canada study.

I can't recall how much $$$$ just goes into Mississauga proclaiming itself the Safest City in Canada through its own study but I can check.

I don't get it. How come it takes a citizen to discover all this? Where's the freaking MEDIA? The only way cities will be saved is when they're accountable for the money they spend. When there is oversight to ensure that the misinformation from their Comm...Spin Department isn't funnelled directly into the Media and then interpreted as fact by citizens.

Seriously. What's it say about Ontario cities when the sorry lot of them hide behind some Local Authority Services to avoid the Ontario Ombudsman. On a teeny issue such as closed meetings.

We got a bigger problem than closed meetings in our cities when they're ducking potential investigations and attention from the Ombudsman on something THAT teeny.

Also. Just me. Funny how the CITIES NOW campaign is on at the very same time municipalities all over Ontario are discussing and announcing which way their investigator-process will happen.

CITIES NOW CITIES NOW --all over the media.

And all the while the reason why it SHOULDN'T BE CITIES NOW is drowned out by the snow. And who's directing that Blizzard?...

Seriously. Who hands over money to someone they don't know? And I'm tellin' you. You don't know Hazel McCallion. Or any other Ontario city.

CITIES NOW now ensures that money from the Feds and Province will be pissed away --think pre-Harris times. And you'll all be told how you're getting value for the money at the same time.

And in the case of Mississauga, complete with inspirational pics on glossy paper.

Back