News   Sep 06, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.6K     8 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 608     0 

Automation: the answer to our prayers?

^^ I think the difference is that those 33% fighting vehicles will basically be RC tanks and such. They'll still be manned by people, but those people will be in no real danger. Useful for some things, not useful for others.

Articulated busses and LRTs could certainly cut down on drivers, saving the system a bunch of money. While I don't expect either to be fully automated, I can totally see the subway system being almost 100% automated, save customer service people at a couple stations, who are professionals trained to service customers; give directions, local information, system information, etc. Just look at London's system, which I think is pretty much a prime example of transit operation.
But unfortunately, if we only stick with our 2 1/2 subways, that won't do much. If we get more, e.g. DRL/Don Mills, Eglinton, full Sheppard, B-D West Extension, maybe Hurontario Subway and (my 20 year dream) Highway 7 East subway :)p) Then that can get a lot of new riders, provide a more efficient service to many routes, and encourage transit-friendly development, which will all be good. If you have a bigger system like that, the pros of 80 or 90% subway automation increase exponentially.
Add in the 1/2 drivers saved by going to Artic busses and the 3/4-4/5 drivers saved by LRTs, and the system is actually looking pretty good.

What the hell are you talking about? Automated buses? uh news flash that technology doesn't exist!
This was a discussion about the possible cost saving measure that would occur if subways were automated. The operator of which you normally never come into contact with.
Not a forum on customer service complaints about bus drivers.
Get it straight.

I was referring to things like ticket dispensers, fare collection and validation, etc. I was not referring to automated buses or automated subways...though the latter might be needed on YUS in due course.

^ There's actually an automated subway system being built in Dubai right now and should be complete sometime in 2010. It's 45 miles of tunnel. As for the ticket collectors and bus drivers I've always had a positive experience, sometimes people just have a bad day.

Had a great ride last night on the Don Mills night bus! Driver had to convince the very drunk (and happy) guy that he couldn't walk onto the bus with the pint of beer in his hand; she was extremely good-natured and as he didn't seem to have any fare on him, left him a transfer to use on the next bus.

Can't see the automatic machine dealing with that well ...

Back