News   Aug 01, 2024
 617     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 718     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 533     0 

Automation: the answer to our prayers?

Yes, some operators get paid $55k a year, but there are many operators earning six figures for sitting in a booth counting tickets. I think we've had this discussion before, actually.
Operators don't sit in booths counting tickets. Let's keep the discussion to operators.

And most operators aren't getting six figures. The only way to do this is by working insane amounts of overtime. And the only reason a few can work insane amounts of overtime, is that their is a shortage of operators. Which only goes to prove that operators are not overpaid, if they've had problems training them faster than they quit!

And for the service they provide, I'd say that many don't deserve even $55k a year. I'm not generalizing that to everyone at all, but something needs to be done about the piss poor employees that are able to get away with doing a terrible job. They either need to clean up their act, get paid according to their service provided, or simply get fired.
That is complete and total slanderous bull. There are surely bad apples, but I'm on transit every day. It's very rare to see this happen, and much more frequent to see passengers who should be arrested for harrassment, with the operator taking it in good humour.

Why are you so intent on painting such a false picture of what happens on the buses and streetcars? (I assume we can leave subway operators out of this!).

I'm curious what line of work your are in, that you think that most of the bus operators are such horrible employees?

IMO, the greatest benefit of automated systems, in particular with more intermediate capacity systems, is the ability to adjust the level of service in real-time to respond to demand.

That is complete and total slanderous bull. There are surely bad apples, but I'm on transit every day. It's very rare to see this happen, and much more frequent to see passengers who should be arrested for harrassment, with the operator taking it in good humour.

Why are you so intent on painting such a false picture of what happens on the buses and streetcars? (I assume we can leave subway operators out of this!).

I'm curious what line of work your are in, that you think that most of the bus operators are such horrible employees?
Umm, I specifically said that I'm not generalizing all TTC employees, but there are certainly more than "a few bad apples." I am in no way trying to paint a false picture, and I don't think anyone here would say I'm colouring their view of TTC employees. I'm saying that there's quite a large number of employees that do a terrible job and need to have their act cleaned up.

I also take the TTC almost every day, and I have seen many, many more cases of an abysmal driver or ticket collector than a difficult customer. And when a driver or ticket collector is difficult, it affects the entire system. As I said, they're providing a public service and need to provide that service with care and decency. If they can't do that, they don't deserve to get paid for their work.

I also take the TTC almost every day, and I have seen many, many more cases of an abysmal driver or ticket collector than a difficult customer. And when a driver or ticket collector is difficult, it affects the entire system. As I said, they're providing a public service and need to provide that service with care and decency. If they can't do that, they don't deserve to get paid for their work.
And I don't see this. This begs the question, what do you say or do to provoke the drivers? What do you consider abysmal?

Some of the examples of customers harrassing drivers about "abysmal" service I've seen regard a long wait for buses, crowded buses, buses running slow or waiting to meet schedule, short-turns, etc. None of which are a function of the driver.

Perhaps it is your criteria that is the issue, not the driver (and I say this, because I just can't fathom why you are seeing completely different behavious than I am).

I gotta say that when you work in the customer service industry, you expect to deal with difficult people. That's the nature of customer service and that's what you're paid for. It does not give you license to be rude or unpleasant to them, let alone to other people.

I gotta say that when you work in the customer service industry, you expect to deal with difficult people. That's the nature of customer service and that's what you're paid for. It does not give you license to be rude or unpleasant to them, let alone to other people.
I'd say that most such encounters I've observed, the operator has been suprisingly patient; more patient than I'd be (or even been as a passenger ... though making a snarky comment about someone who is harrassing the driver when you walk past carrying a baby is really an unfair advantage :)

Wow. This thread is even more ignorant that the SELRT thread. For all the supposed Transit Enthusiasm on this board, you people have little clue what being a transit operator entails. I cannot believe you would even attack transit operators if you even knew how hard the job is. But what else can I expect from members who preach subways everywhere, and create petitions with Darth Vader as the main signatory?

Exactly. I have seen far more excellent operators, than bad operators in my many years of riding transit, and transit enthusiasm. Automation has it's place, and I can name a few systems that actually need full automation, but it's not the answer, especially if you are going to run service below a certain frequency.

Just wondering, will ATC solve the problem between High Park and Dundas West and Lawrence and Eglinton? For both those stretches, the trains go abysmally slow. I believe it's a signaling issue, and they should really get working on that, but ATC would negate all those kind of problems, both current and future, correct?

The reason for the slowness at Dundas and High Park is the renovations being done to the bridge at Keele. They have been refurbishing it for the past 3 months, it is expected to be complete by mid January 2010. They are also redoing the parking lot and it will be closed for the same period of time. Another notice came out earlier in the summer saying the rennos could take as long as 18 months.

That is complete and total slanderous bull.

No it's not, it's absolutely correct.
I've seen far more asshole drivers than passengers on the TTC.
Does my ancedotal evidence trump yours?

It's a moot point anyway. TTC employees are being paid to serve customers with respect. Customers are paying to be there. There's a pretty fundamental difference.

It's a moot point anyway. TTC employees are being paid to serve customers with respect. Customers are paying to be there. There's a pretty fundamental difference.

Exactly.

I never understand how anybody can excuse the behaviour of TTC personnel. It only makes things worse because they think they can get away with it. Can anybody imagine any other business allowing employees to act the way they do? Fast food workers, flight attendants, movie theatre staff, etc. all get subjected to some of the same abuse, but they don't get to tell off their abusers. Can you imagine what would happen if a flight attendant reacted to an abusive passenger the way some TTC bus drivers do?

I say automate and reduce our reliance on these second rate customer service systems.

Does my ancedotal evidence trump yours?
I haven't seen you provide any evidence ... examples? I asked above what does one consider such horrific rudeness.

I have a hard time believing that there are more rude operators than passengers. To look at it from one extreme, there are estimates that an operator is attacked on a regular basis. How many passengers have been attacked by operators?

TTC employees are being paid to serve customers with respect. Customers are paying to be there. There's a pretty fundamental difference.
And that gives passengers a right to be rude?

Exactly.
I say automate and reduce our reliance on these second rate customer service systems.

What the hell are you talking about? Automated buses? uh news flash that technology doesn't exist!
This was a discussion about the possible cost saving measure that would occur if subways were automated. The operator of which you normally never come into contact with.
Not a forum on customer service complaints about bus drivers.
Get it straight.

Automated buses will come sooner than you might think. If the congressional mandate to have 33% of fighting vehicles robotic by 2015 stays, I would bet robotic taxis and buses should start to be tested be the end of next decade and be widespread by mid decade.

Back