56.2 KB · Views: 944
  • pictures-r-1366.jpg
    pictures-r-1366.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 845
  • pictures-r-5190.jpg
    pictures-r-5190.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 823
Last edited:
An architectural drawing (on the right), an article about the same subject, and a bonus editorial about…Architectural Drawings!

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

"An architectural drawing (on the right), an article about the same subject, and a bonus editorial about…Architectural Drawings!"
QUOTE: wwwebster.

The article mentions The Roman Stone Co, with it making and seemingly installing the manufactured stonework.

This company was under the direction of none other than Henry (later Sir Henry) Pellatt. Casa Loma, everything

else aside, was to be a showcase of Roman Stone's capability.

My take on the reasons for The E W Gillett's plant (S/E corner, Fraser & Liberty) being finished with Roman Stone

are two fold:

1) Pellatt's, Steel & Radiation Co (bottom of Fraser Ave) predates that of the beforementioned plant so they were

aware of the then vacant site from Pellatt. (Former site of The Diamond Park - baseball.)

2) Pellatt was associated with the Austin family and the John Craig Eaton family, both he and Eaton having bought

their lands from A W Austin. Eaton and the President of the E W Gillett Co were inseperable friends - hence the

Fraser Ave site & building. Gillett's, requiring another newer and larger plant after having outgrown the King at Duncan

manufactory would have jumped at the opportunity, having been burned out of their Front St plant during the 1904 fire.

Just my take.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"An architectural drawing (on the right), an article about the same subject, and a bonus editorial about…Architectural Drawings!"
QUOTE: wwwebster.

The article mentions The Roman Stone Co, with it making and seemingly installing the manufactured stonework.

This company was under the direction of none other than Henry (later Sir Henry) Pellatt. Casa Loma, everything

else aside, was to be a showcase of Roman Stone's capability.

My take on the reasons for The E W Gillett's plant (S/E corner, Fraser & Liberty) being finished with Roman Stone

are two fold:

1) Pellatt's, Steel & Radiation Co (bottom of Fraser Ave) predates that of the beforementioned plant so they were

aware of the then vacant site from Pellatt. (Former site of The Diamond Park - baseball.)

2) Pellatt was associated with the Austin family and the John Craig Eaton family, both he and Eaton having bought

their lands from A W Austin. Eaton and the President of the E W Gillett Co were inseperable friends - hence the

Fraser Ave site & building. Gillett's, requiring another newer and larger plant after having outgrown the King at Duncan

manufactory would have jumped at the opportunity, having been burned out of their Front St plant during the 1904 fire.

Just my take.

Regards,
J T

JT, I love your stories! You should have a weekly column in the newspaper: "Tales of Old Toronto"

Last edited:
An architectural drawing (on the right), an article about the same subject, and a bonus editorial about…Architectural Drawings!

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

Great article about drawing, wwwebster! Still accurate 100 years later. I seem to vaguely remember the Imperial Trust building, demolished I think in the late 70's and replaced by that dismal park called Cloud Gardens.

Two views.

1927:

05a19823ae07f259aac48e4f43eebbac.jpg

1954:

2c05592a4a5698a4a1bdfd7173a2944a.jpg

Last edited:
"JT, I love your stories! You should have a weekly column in the newspaper: "Tales of Old Toronto".
QUOTE: Thecharioteer.

The father of my father's last girlfriend, (he was in his mid 90's she in her late 80's) worked for The E W Gillett Co pre/during

the Great Fire of Toronto - 1904, during their tenure at King & Duncan St, and at the Fraser/Liberty St plant - 1912, before

removing to Mimico to begin a bakery business. Being "See J T" for my then employer, E W Gillett's old Liberty St

plant was one of my responsibilities during the 1990's; very small world.
(LOL)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
TD Centre, Mies van der Rohe, 1963-69, collection of MoMA:

Reflected ceiling plan of banking pavilion:

Last edited:
Park Plaza 1951:

POSTCARD - TORONTO - PARK PLAZA HOTEL - NEW ADDITION - DRAWING WITH COUPLE ADMIRING - 1951.jpg

Attachments

• POSTCARD - TORONTO - PARK PLAZA HOTEL - NEW ADDITION - DRAWING WITH COUPLE ADMIRING - 1951.jpg
    POSTCARD - TORONTO - PARK PLAZA HOTEL - NEW ADDITION - DRAWING WITH COUPLE ADMIRING - 1951.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 697

Back