News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 776     0 

Arc Condo (Sheppard & Bayview, Daniels, 16s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

It's looking great and I really like the subtle curves on that last shot. I also really like the attention to detail with the added grey cladding to frame some sections and the cladded balcony fronts.

I grabbed some shots of this crane-related activity a couple days ago (Feb 28). The shots are from my car, travelling south on Bayview (sorry about the cell-camera quality)

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

March 10 2009 update

The Ship
IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

The Bow
IMG_3490.jpg

The 8th Floor Clubhouse
IMG_3489.jpg

I really like this project. I can accept buildings made entirely of glass if their structure is unique and designed for its location (i.e. you could plunk down something like Casa anywhere, but not this building).

While this project did not necessarily do this outright, I think it is a precursor for defining how North America will treat its shopping malls in the future:

Rezone parking lots for high density. Add tall buildings around the mall in its parking lots while moving any needed parking underground. And make sure there is mass transit in place.

Fortunately there is a subway stop here. Although, they could have done something a bit better to to connect it to the mall through this building, or at least to the parking lot for Bayview Village (maybe this exists and I missed it).

I also like the way this one is turning out but I do find it a bit two-faced. On one glance it well-scaled and appropriate. How can these two opposites both be true at the same time?

Forgetting for the moment that it looks like a cruise ship docked at the mall, this building is the ideal size and shape for this corner. It doesn't hide from the street or the subway entrance nor does it seem randomly placed like other buildings in NYCC. It is also part of a cluster or node of development that isn't complete yet. Given that this intersection will continue to transform, I am hopeful that ARC will be achieve a better fit once it is more integrated into the "neighbourhood".

However, for anyone who has actually been to this intersection, you will concede that a corner with two gas stations, 15 lanes (3 northbound, 3 southbound, 1-or-2 turning lanes on Bayview and the same for Sheppard) does not an urban corner make. The rest of the Daniel's buildings are tucked away down Rean Drive, away from the intersection. The remaining single, detached homes that front the Sheppard expressway look like weeds or mushrooms growing out of someone's lawn. In sum, each of these parts do not add up to much even if they're individual quality serves its individual purpose.

ARC succeeds in three places, specifically. 1) It is a sharp contrast from the other highrise, post-subway development in the area. Diversity in form, colour, structure and size is important. 2) It is the most transit-orientated structure but yet on the Sheppard Subway line. 3) It welcomes the street and does not hide from it. This helps to minize the impact of the visual distruption while concurrently shaping the neighbourhood as a highrise node.

Overall, it doesn't fit into the community but neither does anything else. It does, however, have the best chance of shaping the future community and that's a good start.

All that's needed now is Leonardo DiCaprio hanging off the "bow" of this building screaming "I'm the King of the World!"

I'm a bit conflicted about this building, as well. It looks very cool driving north on Bayview. It almost looks like you'll drive into it, before Bayview does a mild S-turn to the west. The shape of it is quite original, as well.

However, it does look isolated right next to the intersection. I couldn't imagine living there. I would feel like I'm living in the middle of one of the largest intersections in the city. The location reminds me of those condos right next to the Gardiner, near the York exit, where every glance out of your window reveals a steady stream of slow-moving cars.

However, it does look isolated right next to the intersection. I couldn't imagine living there. I would feel like I'm living in the middle of one of the largest intersections in the city. The location reminds me of those condos right next to the Gardiner, near the York exit, where every glance out of your window reveals a steady stream of slow-moving cars.

That is exactly how I feel about this project too. I had originally looked at purchasing a unit here but two things quickly deterred me:

1) Suite sizes were quite compact - the largest 2 bedroom that wasn't a penthouse was something like 850 square feet and we needed larger.
2) The views - again, most reasonably priced suites either look directly into the Loblaws or onto the streets. We typically like to sit out on our balcony's and entertain, and I fear it would be far too noisy to truly enjoy a balcony at Arc.

1) Suite sizes were quite compact - the largest 2 bedroom that wasn't a penthouse was something like 850 square feet and we needed larger.
2) The views - again, most reasonably priced suites either look directly into the Loblaws or onto the streets. We typically like to sit out on our balcony's and entertain, and I fear it would be far too noisy to truly enjoy a balcony at Arc.

850 for a two bedroom is too small by any standards (except Hong Kong's). When we were shopping for a condo two years ago (how's that for an entry into real estate?) we were shocked at how small some units were. Half my furniture wouldn't have fit into some of the places. I saw a 650 sq. ft two bedroom on Empress that was like a coffin. Hopefully the trend will reverse soon, because we're not sardines, people!

April 13 2009 update

The boat's crown element is lookin' good ~ :)

IMG_3673.jpg

I'm hoping for a turret with two 12" naval guns. That would complete the picture quite nicely. Would also help out when the Yanks finally decide they want our natural resources.

Back