News   Oct 08, 2024
 675     0 
News   Oct 08, 2024
 648     0 
News   Oct 08, 2024
 623     0 

Afternoon shooting in Toronto's Little Italy leaves one person dead

Sure there are some areas, areas most residents would never venture into anyway.

We're talking about someone getting shot or the like outside one of those areas, is it a lot more likely in American cities verse Canadian ones ?

It's unfortunate but that's what most people associate with safety.

I completely agree if you take the city as a whole, of course Canadian cities are safer. But unfortunately those don't make the headlines, only when unrelated (actually take this a step further, *average folk*) are hurt do people / the media care.

Thank God that could never happen in Toronto...

Tragedy, violence mar holiday weekend
Tim Alamenciak

Gunfire rang out several times over the long weekend. A man was shot in the chest in the area of Winners Circle and Lake Shore Blvd. E. around 10:30 p.m., as thousands watched Canada Day fireworks. He was rushed to trauma centre where he was eventually stabilized.

“Since the Eaton centre shooting and now this,†said Victoria Ramsay, who was enjoying a picnic on the beach Monday morning. “It’s not the same city any more. I’ve seen the city slowly declining over the last few years.â€

A man was also shot at a party on Toro Rd. near Finch Ave. W. and Keele St. around 1:20 a.m. Monday. He was stabilized in hospital.

On Saturday night in North York a 2-year-old girl sat with her legs dangling out of a car when a bullet flew by and struck her leg. The bullet left behind just a scrape.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/1220256--two-seriously-hurt-in-overnight-shootings

Frankly, I'm amazed at how deluded people here can be.

With regards to what?

Here is his quote:

It's also important to remember that there really isn't a single black culture in this city anymore than there is a single white culture. We have large black communities with roots in three very distinct parts of the world (North America, the Caribbean and Africa). Even within those groups there are very diverse subgroupings based on nation of origin, class, neighbourhood, etc. Reducing all of that to one label and slapping it on gun crime comes off as scapegoating more than anything of value.

AoD

... all of which has already been stated in one form or another.

For example:

People of African or Caribbean descent from countries other than Jamaica or Somalia are not the ones committing these crimes - and they do get unfairly tarnished by this sort of activity - but let's not pretend that the ones who do commit the killings are not from an identifiable background.

You may disagree with this but clearly Marko is not saying 'black' people in general are responsible for gun violence.

... and I just don't know how more clearly I could have said it:

... This isn't really about 'race' at all, no matter what some here with an agenda are insisting on. This is about socio-cultural issues among certain groups that are black... and this isn't about the 'black' community because there is no such thing (as there is no such thing as a white community). There are people playing politics here, pure and simple. It doesn't help the situation one bit.

So I don't see how Lesouris (who Kingeast agrees with) is saying anything different than Marko or myself (who Kingeast doesn't agree with)?? Please somebody explain.

The point is I really don't think for a random person Toronto is much safer.
I disagree. Anecdotally I know a lot more Canadians than Americans - but all the stories I hear of acquaintances of people I know being shot dead by accident (mistaking their children for intruders, mistaking a lost drunk person as an intruder, accidents) are in the USA, not in Canada.

Also, surely it stands to reason, if the homicide rate is 10 times higher there than here, then you'd expect the collateral damage to be higher there than here ... or else you'd have to think that that their homicidal criminals are more accurate than ours.

Actually it is me that is struggling to see the difference, not Marko.... and I'm struggling because there isn't one. Feel free to educate me though, please!!

How this thread about a white-on-white crime became a discussion about the problems with black people just proves that black-on-black crime is not the product of a "black culture" at all. Sort of like how the fact that former residential school students overwhelmingly make up the majority of Vancouver's Downtown Eastside drug-addicted prostitutes (and Robert Pickton's victims) was not the product of a "Native American culture." The root of these problems are generations of ongoing discrimination and poverty, which are products of a "white culture."

Back