News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 946     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Aerial highway bypasses GTA

I agree that building a brand new airport in this day and age when we already have several is the height of shortsightedness and totally runs counter to ideas like sustainable development and environmentalism.

I sincerely hope we don't build Mirabel II here.

The location of an airport affects sustainability as well though. If Pickering gets built along with the GO 407 Transitway, a rail connection to Union (or Summerhill?) and Scarborough and connections to YRT and Durham transit (I realize this is a laundry list, but still), it would be much more accessible by transit for anyone in the Eastern GTA. Airports in places like Hamilton, the K-W and Oshawa aren't very accessible to those in the GTA proper.

If Buttonville really needed to close, Markham, Brampton, and Oshawa could likely pick up the slack more reasonably.

Buttonville closing is very much a done deal: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...(404-amp-16th-Ave-Armadale-multiple-bldgs-P-S)

The location of an airport affects sustainability as well though. If Pickering gets built along with the GO 407 Transitway, a rail connection to Union (or Summerhill?) and Scarborough and connections to YRT and Durham transit (I realize this is a laundry list, but still), it would be much more accessible by transit for anyone in the Eastern GTA. Airports in places like Hamilton, the K-W and Oshawa aren't very accessible to those in the GTA proper.

I agree completely. The Midtown is probably a long way away, but by the time the airport is open, the Durham BRT will be open, as will hopefully be the Lakeshore and Brampton-Markham GO REX lines, and maybe even the North Yonge extension. It is quite possible to run express buses from RHC via the 407 (stopping at Unionville), from STC via the Highway 2 BRT, and from Pickering GO.

Perhaps a new Rosedale and Bridle Path airport to drop people off on their doorsteps, as well as add a new station on the RH line for a convenient connection to downtown.

I agree completely. The Midtown is probably a long way away, but by the time the airport is open, the Durham BRT will be open, as will hopefully be the Lakeshore and Brampton-Markham GO REX lines, and maybe even the North Yonge extension. It is quite possible to run express buses from RHC via the 407 (stopping at Unionville), from STC via the Highway 2 BRT, and from Pickering GO.

Yeah, it could also be the eastern terminus of the purple VIVA line, which now ends at Markham-Stouffville Hospital but will soon be extended east once the Cornell Terminal is built, bringing it to around 5 KM from the airport site.

Yeah, it could also be the eastern terminus of the purple VIVA line, which now ends at Markham-Stouffville Hospital but will soon be extended east once the Cornell Terminal is built, bringing it to around 5 KM from the airport site.

The Pickering airport would probably get a local rapid transit connection before Pearson would :p.

I say build and Exhibition and/or Portlands business airport, close to downtown and no boats required.

I remember seeing a wonky drawing (1990s?) of a plan to turn the Leslie Spit into an airport to replace the island. But I'd assume the birds are too popular now.

Sort of. It has limited stop bus service. Even when the Mississauga BRT will be operational, from Renforth Gateway to Pearson is going to run in mixed traffic if I remember correctly.
It's transit. And with an average speed ranging from 42.3 km/hr in rush-hour to 51 km/hr off-peak, it's rapid. Much faster than the subway.

Pearson already has Bus Rapid Transit.

What?
No, YYZ has express buses to Kipling Station, Richmond Hill Centre, and Bramalea City Centre, and from Viscount, a rush hour only express bus to Square One and Westwood Mall. None of which would even be considered "BRT-lite" as they are simple express buses without any specific infrastructure.

What about the Downsview Park airport though. Or perhaps a York University airport that would have express service to Union on the GO Train.

I think the best thing to be done with Downsview is close it and relocate Bombardier. Can't see Pearson loving expanded traffic at Downsview when airspace wise that puts them in the same/worse position as they had with Buttonville, and as noted above the City has been allowing the industrial character of the area to be replaced with residential (see Sunrise Propane). The elephant in the room in the "extend Sheppard line west of Yonge" call is that the area with the most developable open space to finance such a project is west of Downsview station, i.e. the airport.

I can't really get on board this pilot's obsession - there is serious pushback against the use of corp jets (see RIM, which is disposing of one of theirs).

Maybe Vaughan, with it's ambitions of becoming a significant city, could build an airport at King rd and the 400.

*Note severe sarcasm used*

Back